I need to be schooled in SXS's

pELYgroso

'Merica
Deviant mentioned that the Kawasaki machine didn't work for him. We have a '15 Teryx4 and let me tell you why we love it:

-4 seater and still has a decent "bed" in the rear for lots of gear.
-rear seats have PLENTY of room for full size adults. I've been in the back of a Razor4 and I much prefer the back seat of the Teryx. All of the seats are a little more upright than the Razors, so the kids in car seats get a good view of what is going on which is nice for them.
-3 year warranty from the factory instead of 6 month or 1 year of other brands. This was huge for us.
-Easier to get in and out of -some other machines take a small amount of gymnastics to get into and out of. You slide right into the Teryx.
-Comes with doors
-shorter overall length -It's 2 ft. shorter than Razor4 or Wildcat. This was helpful to us because we didn't have to upgrade our toy hauler. Any toy hauler (camper) that will fit a 13+ foot machine is newer and $$$$$ we've made it up stuff that the longer machines couldn't because they got hung up on their belly. Obviously there are also places where the longer wheelbase performs better though.
-clutches/ belts don't go out. I don't remember exactly why but they are built differently and VERY rarely fail
-constant power to wheels -other brands go into "neutral" when you let off the gas. This means you're on your brakes down hills every time. In 4lo in the Teryx, you just roll slowly down the hill with the engine slowing you down. this also means that there is no throttle lag like the others. We briefly owned a Razor 800 and I didn't like it nearly as much as the Teryx. The throttle lag was a huge pain. Especially when loading it onto a trailer or crawling. Going from brake to throttle would lag and then jump a little as it caught. There wasn't a nice gradual power delivery. The Teryx is amazing in this aspect. Very smooth delivery from a stop and not jumpy at all. We didn't realize this when we bought it but is a very nice feature over others.
-It's built beefy. We have put ours through the ringer and it is a champ. The big names are all built sturdy but don't mistake the Teryx as a more "fragile" machine.
-The new machine costs $10k less than the Razor or Wildcat machines. ($15k vs. $25k when we priced them -'15 Teryx 800 vs. '15 Wildcat 1000)
-The 800 is a very torquey motor and plenty powerful for trail riding. We have taken it through every terrain you can imagine and it hasn't lacked power for us at all. We usually have 2 kids in the back, so we haven't really needed the extra power that a 1000 will give. The only time I've wished for more power is at the dunes when we came up slowly to a sand hill and needed to go up it. Where my buddy's new Wildcat4 on 32's would power right up it, we usually had to back up and get a small run at it. (26" stock tires) Not a big deal to me. On dirt, it needs no more power than it has, IMO
-Better fuel mileage. We can go further than our friends w/ 1000's on a tank. This has been helpful at times.

CONS:
-Suspension doesn't hold a candle to Razor or Wildcat. We knew this going in and we are ok with it. There are times when I wished for better suspension but 95% of our riding has been just fine with the stock setup. for $3k you can put suspension on it that will compete with anything out there and you're still LOTS of money ahead. We might do that this year.
-It is loud. The motor in the middle does make for a louder ride than a rear mounted engine. I don't really mind this at all on the trails but when we drive it around town (ours is street legal) It's tough to carry a conversation.
-Stock tires (BigHorn2's) suck. We had 3 punctures (rear tires) in the first 4 rides. Didn't take much. We switched to 1st gen BigHorns and it's been great.

For us, the Teryx4 has been great. I haven't had to work on it at all (besides installing random electrical stuff) so I can't speak for the ease of cracking into it, but the 3 year warranty will likely cover anything that would be hard to deal with. As with everything else, the Teryx machines hold their value very well. We looked for a low-miles used machine and found that they were either the same price as the brand new machine that we bought or VERY close. (we bought our machine from White Knuckle in Springville during their end of year blow-out sale.)

I hope this helps! Don't rule out the Kawi's! Good luck!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12904

The stock tires suck on all of them. I ended up going to a 15" wheel and a lt tire. Stiffer ride but hope to not have the flat issues.

D

Deleted member 12904

What is the industry standard rim/tire size?
14's?

What sizes can a stock machine accept?

14's are definitely the most common these days but some still run 12's I believe the teryx is one of those. Tire size also veries by model from 26"-30" stock. They all come with different size wheels and tires front and rear. I like to run the same size all around to make it easier to rotate plus I think it looks better.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I test drove a 2017 Teryx4 LE yesterday and seems to be a solid, well built unit. Tyler's description fit it perfectly. It is not as sexy and the RZR and CanAm's but seems like the perfect family toy.

Any other feedback on the 2016-17 Teryx's?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
The best Polaris ever made cannot touch the reliability of the worst Yamaha. Now if they just made a 4 seater.

One thing to consider is how each model comes outfitted from the factory. The 2 seat Polaris seems like it is sold missing 1/2 of what should be there, ie a plastic roof, windshield and doors. If you scroll through some UTV aftermarket parts places you will see that EVERYTHING on a UTV is stupid expensive so those few parts I mentioned will run you in the thousands to add after the fact. My parents and their siblings all have 2 seat Rzr's and they each have 1/2 the cost of the UTV in parts bolted on, and I am not exaggerating. Just another thing to keep in mind when making a decision.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I was going to write a post asking people to talk me OUT of buying a SxS because I am SERIOUSLY considering a YXZ mostly due to the fact that the seating position in the Polaris is AWFUL for gentlemen of stature and I want nothing to do with changing smoked belts on the trail. I haven't met a single person that hasn't smoked a belt. My plan is to pick one up, not **** with it during the warranty period and then slap a turbo kit on it with upgraded clutch and flywheel then do the Tube Works kit with the overdrive and underdrive. I can't ignore the 3000$ discount Yamaha is pushing right now.

Go to Plaza Cycle, they have both the YXZ and the RZR and also a General. Look close at the suspension parts. Get in each one, the YXZ has a cockpit style seating, I'm 6'4" and love the seating in the YXZ vs RZR.
Research the YXZ and where the motor and trany came from :)

As I mentioned above, I run the dune a lot. RZr 4 seaters are defendant the choice of many. When I was there last UEA there were two of us YXZ's, I must say I turned a few heads. My only mod to upgrade the power was a WR Full exhaust. I may or may not be as fast or faster than the RZR1000, but I can guarantee you that my ride is a lot fun-er.

Think of it this way, and this is why I like my YXZ, when driving you have to shift, being interactive with the machine is soooo much more fun than just pushing on the throttle. Also, my suspension is so far superior than the RZR, please keep in mind that I have the SE version with the better shocks. Slapping trough the gears and hauling through the whoops, ya,,, that is new and exciting.

Remember, this in my opinion.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have owned my YXZ since August and I'm not easy on it. Mostly dune riding. Over Easter I fired my clutch, this is now an issue with a lot of YXZ's. With YXZ being fairly new to the market, aftermarket parts are not a dime a doz like the RZR. I have the 2017 SS SE and just love the paddle shifting. Hands down the best riding SXS I have ever owned, the RXR only wishes it rode as well as my YXZ.
I just installed a new cage, long travel, waiting on the supercharger, will be ordering connecting rods to handle 350+hp, and looking at tube works for the 45/15 gear reduction.

The YXZ is a pure sport machine, it really was not designed to rock crawl without doing the gear reduction, but it does very well running in dessert and sand terrain.

Just my opinion.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Two years, two RZR's, zero belts. Pleased to meet you. :D

Both machines are nice, and both have their place. If I was going to build a sand machine, which sounds like what you're doing, hands down the Yamaha is the superior machine to start with. For trail riding like Moab, the Polaris is the superior machine. It just depends on the terrain you enjoy, and if you don't fit into the RZR there's no question which one is best for you.

I haven't met a single person that hasn't smoked a belt. .

Caleb

Both machines are nice, and both have their place. If I was going to build a sand machine, which sounds like what you're doing, hands down the Yamaha is the superior machine to start with. For trail riding like Moab, the Polaris is the superior machine. It just depends on the terrain you enjoy, and if you don't fit into the RZR there's no question which one is best for you.

This. If you don't fit in one but do in the other, there's really nothing to discuss.

Also, I've never smoked a belt on my rzr either. :)

Shawn

Just Hanging Out

When you drive like an old man you are not going to smoke a belt :shawn:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
This. If you don't fit in one but do in the other, there's really nothing to discuss.

The RZR sits you more vertically, the YXZ has a cockpit design and is incredibly comfortable and I'm not a small guy :handlebars:

rholbrook

They have two versions of the yamaha. The newest one is an automatic. Tell me how that wouldn't be great in Moab? You can put a Rekluse on the earlier ones and also regear them too. Can you buy a bad one though? Ford-Chevy-Ram thing. I would buy a Polaris just for the extra seating.

D

Deleted member 12904

Also never smoked a belt in any SXS I've ever had including my rzr. Belts hold up fine if you understand how the clutch works and it's limitations.

Caleb

The RZR sits you more vertically, the YXZ has a cockpit design and is incredibly comfortable and I'm not a small guy :handlebars:

When I was looking at the machines, I never considered the Yamaha too seriously because I wanted four seats. However, I did sit in one and I felt blind in it. However, after sitting in just about all these machines, the feeling is similar (as far as visibility).

Hmmmm.... no wonder you aren't riding that dirt bike! -_-

:p

:rofl: Well, the bike was "stuck" up at my cabin for a while, then I finally got it home and realized all my riding gear was left up there and I wasn't able to get in until the snow melted. I was finally able to get in a couple weekends ago, but my garage was still snowed in and I didn't feel like digging it out. So, this weekend I have a feeling will be the weekend I finally get my gear back :p.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
They have two versions of the yamaha. The newest one is an automatic. Tell me how that wouldn't be great in Moab? You can put a Rekluse on the earlier ones and also regear them too. Can you buy a bad one though? Ford-Chevy-Ram thing. I would buy a Polaris just for the extra seating.
None of the YXZ's are automatic. One has a clutch that you operate by your foot and one, mine, has paddle shifter that operates the clutch via a electronic actuator.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Our family ended up with 2 2017 Teryx4 LE's.
We purchased them from Renegade in Centerville and sourced the street legal kit, windshield and side mirrors from them as well.

We only have 80 miles and about 9 hours on them. They've been through the 1st tank of fuel and have been a blast.

Both of them fit beautifully on the 20ft trailer which was a huge plus and would have never happened with the RZR4.

On the highway the 50mph limiter is a bummer but it's still legal.

As mentioned, they are LOUD. Not rattly loud but throbbing, deep rumble loud. I wear earplugs and I'm sure a helmet would muffle it well.

I love the more upright seating and again in the RZR's my knee hit the dash. They are easy to get in and out of, especially for my folks. The "full" doors are a plus.

They seem to excel on tight, twisty rocky trails as the 86" wheelbase squirts them around corners and the low and mid range of the engine drags them out of bowls. The FOX shocks seem to be tuned well but I'll experiment with some additional preload up front and dial in some more compression.

This is my first go with SXS's but overall we are extremely happy with them. Thanks for all of the feedback!

--EDIT: don't worry there are 4, 2" tie downs on the trailer. The little straps were just for insurance.:D