Ideal Shop Tool List...

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Alright, I'm talking your everyday ideal shop; not a dream shop (yeah, I'd like a bridgeport too, just not practical). SO, it looks like I may be having a seperate detached 28x36' garage built on my property. It would be in addition to my attached 2 1/2 car and used strictly as a shop (no daily drivers in it).

Let's make a list of essential tools to stock the ideal garage:

-Complete set of hand tools & plenty of tool boxes/storage
-220V Welder
-Tubing Bender
-Metal bandsaw
-Plasma cutter
-Drill Press
-Reciprocating Saw
-4 1/2" angle grinder
-Bench grinder
-Press
-Sheet metal break

This is a quick list, what am I missing?:greg:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Vise
Welding table
Sink with hot water.
Shower maybe?
Parts washer.
Some type of hoist system. I had a 3 ton chain hoist chained to a pipe that was laid across all of my rafters. I could roll the pipe about 5' for placement. It was a VERY handy tool. Unloading axles from the back of my truck, lifting bodies or even whole Jeeps.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Hickey said:
I had a 3 ton chain hoist chained to a pipe that was laid across all of my rafters. I could roll the pipe about 5' for placement. It was a VERY handy tool. Unloading axles from the back of my truck, lifting bodies or even whole Jeeps.

good call, what's it take to make this formally happen? What type of cross beam?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
There is also a trolly or truck you can buy to use with a large I beam the you mount the hoist to. In my Next shop, which will be 24' x 33' I want to put a large beam straddling the 24' that will sit on top of the wall's top plate. Probably locate it about 8 feet inside the garage door entrance.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I'll second Shawn's ironworker, and raise him a lathe. I will soon have some real shop space of my own, and I've been thinking about this some too. An engine lift seems like it will pretty much do anything you can do with a hoist. It just takes a little more floor/storage space. It sounds like you don't have a shortage of floor space though. Don't forget to leave room/budget for a GOOD compressor too.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Don't forget a torch, I recently added one to my garage & now I wonder how I got along w/o one. Yeah, a P-Cutter will do most the same things, but for heating steel & working with it a torch can't be beat.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
RockMonkey said:
I'll second Shawn's ironworker, and raise him a lathe. I will soon have some real shop space of my own, and I've been thinking about this some too. An engine lift seems like it will pretty much do anything you can do with a hoist. It just takes a little more floor/storage space. It sounds like you don't have a shortage of floor space though. Don't forget to leave room/budget for a GOOD compressor too.

Yeah, I've got alot of the stuff I listed already...still think it's fun to put it all on paper. As for a compressor, I've got a 60 gallon 2-stage.

Out of curiosity, what's an ironworker run?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
RockMonkey said:
Good call on the compressor. I don't like the engine lifts for two reasons. I am always tripping over or smacking my head into the thing, and they are not rated high enough and get tippy when the weight is up at max height.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
BBowski82 said:
Yeah, I've got alot of the stuff I listed already...still think it's fun to put it all on paper. As for a compressor, I've got a 60 gallon 2-stage.

Out of curiosity, what's an ironworker run?
Plan on spending at least 3 grand, or it's probably not worth buying.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
RockMonkey said:
Ya, I'd like a lathe, but I don't have the room. I'll second the hoist. I'm using one now and it is a great tool for lifting. The one I have folds up very nicely.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Hickey said:
Good call on the compressor. I don't like the engine lifts for two reasons. I am always tripping over or smacking my head into the thing, and they are not rated high enough and get tippy when the weight is up at max height.
But they don't pull your garage down on top of you when you exceed the weight limit. :ugh:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Greg said:
Don't forget a torch, I recently added one to my garage & now I wonder how I got along w/o one. Yeah, a P-Cutter will do most the same things, but for heating steel & working with it a torch can't be beat.
I still use my torch now and then for heating, but since the P cutter arrived, the torch collects alot of dust........;)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
RockMonkey said:
But they don't pull your garage down on top of you when you exceed the weight limit. :ugh:
Never happend with mine, and I lifted quite a few heavy things with mine. Not so much as a creak outta the rafters, even when I had the front of my Jeep off the ground suspended by it. The pipe was about 1/4" wall 3" diameter and it was spread across 6 rafters.