If you don't like the new cherokee...you don't get it

DAA

Hey, to each their own. Beauty in the eye of the beholder, and all that. And it's not like any of these cars are easy on the eyes. But that Darth Vader's mouth looking thing above is the absolute most ugly grill I think I have ever seen on anything. The new Cherokee may not be a real looker, but compared to THAT thing??? It looks a thousand times better than the Lexus. I mean, my gawd... Did they TRY to just make that as ugly as they could?

- DAA

DAA

I must say though - that Lexus looks like it would scoop up twitty birds while bombing the PET like a Kirby! I can see whole flocks at a time getting sucked into Darth's mouth.

I shouldn't talk though. Washed under the hood of my truck after one springtime run across the PET and there were eight or nine dead twitty birds stuck to the condenser...

- DAA

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
You're missing the point. What you're saying you want to do is buy a new car for $30,000 (undoubtably financed) so that you can then get GREAT mileage so you can get out more. Sorry, thats stupid. Buy a used vehicle for $3,000 or less, cash, and take the money you saved from paying 10 times less, not paying interest and not having to carry comprehensive insurance; put that in the tank and go exploring. Sure, it may only get 18mpg as opposed to 30mpg, but it's going to take a lot of fill ups to cover the distance between $3,000 and $30,000!

There are two sides to this argument. One is to buy an old POS for as little money as possible, and put up with its host of shortcomings and drawbacks. It won't have many luxury features or creature comforts, but it'll get you out on the trail... and, if you're lucky, it might even get you back home. If this is what you are willing to endure, there is nothing wrong with this strategy.

On the other hand, some people just like to buy new. They want that new car smell. They want a warranty lest something mechanical go amiss. They want features. I've yet to see any XJs that had integrated BlueTooth, or integrated navigation, or parallel park assist, or heated seats, or cooled seats, or keyless operation, or dozens and dozens of other nifty little gadgets and gizmos that a significant portion of today's buying public wants. On top of all that, damn near everybody insists on having electronic stability control, side curtain airbags, and a body structure that doesn't fold up like a wilted leaf of lettuce in a crash:

api-rating-image.ashx

api-rating-image.ashx

verses

api-rating-image.ashx

api-rating-image.ashx

In order to get all this, buyers have to put up with the financial drawback of spending $30,000 rather than $3,000. But if that's what they are willing to endure, there is nothing wrong with this strategy, either.

In summary, nobody is wrong in this argument. Everyone is free to decide what makes them happy and buy accordingly.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
But if your sole argument is fuel economy for a car that can get you there pretty well then there is a lot to argue against. Can't argue against someone who wants the comforts and the add ons and the gadgets and the safety but if all you are concerned with is economy than 30k vs 3k is a huge difference.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
if all you are concerned with is economy than 30k vs 3k is a huge difference.

I could not agree more. If that's you're only concern, then you are exactly correct. In my job, however, very very few people say fuel economy is their only concern when choosing a car.

Shin airbags?! Heck yeah!

Dude, you have no idea. We are getting closer and closer to Demolition Man every year.

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
Turbo minivan pretty much nailed it. Fuel economy is a major concern, but not the only concern. I dig the new cherokee because it appears to be a car (yes car) that is very capable off road while doing a lot of things well.

I see it as a heterosexual subaru, or the amc eagle of the future, both of which have been notably absent in the marketplace.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm with you minus the title. I agree with people buying whatever they want and there are always pros and cons. I LOVE buying new vehicles. At the the end of the day people buy vehicles for one reason all the time. How many people on here are driving Toyotas after all ;)

1995zj

I'm addicted
Did someone really mention the Pontiac Aztec?! That is the only car I would actually buy a new Cherokee over. Hideous. Along with the new Cherokee. I would never own one just due to the looks of it. Saw it at the car show, absolutely terrible.

Houndoc

"They should of axed Saturn before Pontiac " They did, sort of. Saturn ceased manufacture late 2009, Pontiac early 2010 :D

On the debate at hand, one question I would toss out is which is more capable:

1) new Cherokee
2) old Cherokee left completely stock?

Also, the new car versus 15 year old beater debate is irrelevant to whether or not the new Cherokee is a decent vehicle. New vehicles need to be made and bought so 20 years from now some one can pick one up cheap.

We all know that it is a very small percent of Jeeps, including Rubicons, that actually get significant trail time. Be glad Jeep is trying to make something for the mass market so they can stay in business!

hoosier

mtn yot
I dont ever buy a dd because of what it looks like. I walk out to the garage in the morning get in head to work, work all day, go get in my car do whatever running around i need to do head home and start all over again. On the weekends when i Do most of my driving again get in while it is in the garage and drive, as long as it is comfortable to drive and is safe for the family i dont care. If i want something for looks it will sit n the garage until it is a nice day out and i.will drive it where i want to go not where i need to go

Houndoc

Glad to help lessen your worries!

And I agree a modified new Cherokee would be interesting to see on the trail.

Thanks Houndoc that's good to know. I feel better now .:)

The real question should be is when are we gonna see one modified "heavily" ? What can be done to make this thing cool lookin ?
A nice bumper could change things . Any ideas on the drivetrain or could it be straight axeled ?

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
The reason I liked my old Scout II was because I could drive off road the day I brought it home from the dealer. I liked the looks but they did not matter. It was what the vehicle could do that mattered. It would have been great if it got 30 mpg like the new Cherokee.

STAG

On my grind
Spotted a 2015 Suburban today at the Chevy dealership.. I think the selling theme with the new SUV's is "make the headlights as crazy as possible"

2015-Chevrolet-Suburban-Release-Date.jpg

But on the bright side, it will be offered with a diesel motor.

Attachments

• 1381128267000-ChevroletSuburban15.JPG
    1381128267000-ChevroletSuburban15.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 21