Inner air lock internal bead locks WHY NOT?

canyonman

looking for any good info on internal beadlocks. The only drawback I can see is the cost. This is an internal bead lock mfg who has a much less expensive product. Does anyone have any info on internal beadlocks or which brand is the best and how do the Stauns hold up campared to this new lesser expensive brands. Here is the web site.

innerairlock.com

soda blaster

I don't know about those cheaper ones but I can tell you the Stauns are awesome once you know how to put them in I would not buy anything else. It is a PITA to put them in but well worth it after wards.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Ditto, I have stauns installed, much cheaper then any other double beadlock. I have not run them yet though. They were a pain to install at first, but I got it down to about 25 minutes once you get it down

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Yep, did them myself, any real man would;). I'm sure you could pay a shop to install them, but then they would not be cheaper.

kake

inner beadlocks

The only complaint I have heard was that if you run aluminum wheels and do any hard core rock crawling you can expect the lip to bend and or break off. This is of course opposed to running a regular beadlock ring. This is the dilema I have run into when deciding between the two.

74highboy

i have installed and fixed sevral Stauns i personaly would not run them they are very easy to pop and you cant run a rim wider then 9'' i think it was the last time i did a set that a local tire shop installed and pinched the tubes on 3 of them

canyonman

I've heard rummer that they are only popular in australia cuz external beadlocks are not allowed on the pavement. I also wounder why they haven't taken of in the US? They sound like the only choice for a dual purpose vehicle. I had detroits and 37's and I felt it was unsafe at highway speed's. I'm in the process of converting to 40's ARBs, coilovers, 105 wheelbase stretch, 513's, 3.8, V8 and 700r. I really hope to be able to drive to Moab dry warm and confortable. Am I chasing a pipe dream or what? I hope the internal beadlocks will allow more top speed without the balancing issues.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Yep I paid only 20 bucks total more then that for my stauns over a year ago, I'm sure better deals to be had now

canyonman

Im not finding the good deals. I have 17x9 rims and stauns seem to run about 170$ a wheel. With tax and shipping thats about 7-800 bucks for a set of 4. If I could find them for 100$ a wheel I would think thats ok. I already have 600 bucks in a wheel and rubber. By the way I installed a fake beadlock to help protect the rim.

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
I have the Staun's on Pro Comp 7089 alloys. (17X9)

The front wheels never lose any tire pressure (beadlock or tire)....... but the back wheels lose pressure consistently in the tire, but not in the beadlocks. I have to add about 15 pounds every few days to keep them around 40 psi for the street. The beadlock part does hold the air right at about 48 psi.

I use them for the street and wheelin'.

Is the pressure loss normal? If so, how come the front wheels don't lose any?

The pressure loss isn't bad enough to worry about, but when gas was over 4 bucks a gallon.... it mattered more.

I'm gonna take these wheels and tires off and put on a set of wheels for winter with siped A/T's soon..... are there any storage concerns I should know about?

Thanks........ hope this isn't taken as a thread jack. If someone wants to know about internal beadlocks...... might be issues to know about. :-\

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
search it on pirate. i just read a really good write up that a guy did with the innerairlock kind i think. with great pics, and all step by step.

moabax

Tiny little super guy
I have played with the stauns several times and they are a great product. You do have to be very carefull on the pressure that you keep them at, the more the pressure (over 40 psi ) they will start to leak at the stem. I have replaced about a dozen or so because of this. Also remember that the more air you put in the tire effects the pressure in the staun. As for the innerair locks, I would try to get specs of the thickness of material the outer sleeve that the bladder fits into. If it is thin this will over time pinch the bladder. Overall if you install them RIGHT and keep the pressure around 30 psi you should be OK.