Official Is a rooftop tent (RTT) for me?

MOODY

Bald Guy
Did the large overhang too much? I was a bit worried about it being way too wide up on top.
I had it on my 80 for a few years and it would hang over about 6" on each side.
Can you elaborate a bit about why you would have a soft side tent again?

I just felt like they were a pain in the ass when they were on top of a lifted vehicle. For the cost I would rather just use my Trango 4.

The hard sided tents are where it's at. Once my kids are okay to sleep in a tent themselves I expect to score a new Columbus medium with the extra length.

airmanwilliams

availability on those has been crappy as with service the last couple years
Bum deal. It was one of those or a moab tent from compact camping concepts. Im hoping on a trip to the Oregon coast this summer to take a detour to Salem and visit with compact camping concepts and see if they have some used ones for sale, every so often they have some used ones im told.

sixstringsteve

Or just spend a bit more for an ARB. If you're already spending $1100 for a Camping Labs, might as well spend a little more for an ARB in my opinion. Or even better, fab up a way to mount a Cabelas double tentcot onto the trailer.

spencevans

Overlander
If I were you I would look at getting a tent from CVT. Bobby is a great guy and there tents are reasonably priced. He has a listed price but you may be able to get a better deal if you ask him what his bottom line is. I bought 2 of the McKinley 6 man tents and a Nomad trailer from Bobby. His customer service is great. They have 8 models of tents and most tents include the annex room. I cannot speak to the quality because I have not picked up my tents, but from talking with others on the expedition portal and the taco forum CVT sells a high quality tent.

http://www.cascadiatents.com/

Last edited:

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
Or just spend a bit more for an ARB. If you're already spending $1100 for a Camping Labs, might as well spend a little more for an ARB in my opinion. Or even better, fab up a way to mount a Cabelas double tentcot onto the trailer.
If you do that. figure out a way to make it nonpermanent. That way you the best of both worlds. Love my tent cot!!!

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
How do you guys with tent cots deal with muddy boots and such? I've been thinking about getting one, but the nice thing about even a small tent is you have somewhere to demuddify before crawling all over your nice clean sleeping bag. I don't grok how you do that with a tent cot.

Box Rocket

bored
I've been super happy with my Tepui Autana tent. http://tepuitents.com/

Tepui just started offering a new heavy duty version of one of their tents, they call it a "Ruggedized" version. According to their website it has the following upgrades
Raw aluminum diamond plate base

- 360g Fabric (40% heavier than the standard models)

- Anti-condensation mat (3/8") under the mattress

- Dual rainfly support rods for high winds

- Fully wrapped 3/4" heavy duty internal frame

- Heavy duty 3-bolt hinges and welded aluminum base construction

- Extra-large internal pockets & bedding straps

- Velcro window surrounds for clear window accessory (sold separately)

I kinda dig the orange color too.
DSC_8280.jpg

As soon as they offer a "Ruggedized" model with a covered ladder area like the Autana that I have, I'll be selling my tent and upgrading. This is mine.

sixstringsteve

I had some fun times with my RTT, it was cool. I've since sold it, and I don't miss it one bit. I definitely had to go through the experience of owning one for a while to know if it was for me or not. I have changed the way I camp, and have found better options for me.

Last edited: