Official Is a rooftop tent (RTT) for me?

Box Rocket

bored
Mine's the Tepui Kukenam. I love it, but there are a couple of QC issues that should have been resolved. The zipper on the cover is great, but I snapped the pull tab off of it because how stiff the vinyl was when new. I've got a pull ring now and it works fine until I replace it in a couple of years (I'm sure). I also wish the cover were a teensie bit more waterproof - two of the corners are a little exposed, but not terribly. Finally I noticed the main entrance screen door gets weirded out once in a while, so I have to pull it back and forth sometimes to get it to stay engaged. That may turn into a bigger problem, but for now I think I may just need to clean up some of the thread around the zipper from the sewing machine work. I got mine super cheap, so I'm willing to accept those flaws at this point.

Both of those issues have been addressed with the cover. They Tepui covers are different now from the one you pictured. No zipper or waterproof issues at all with the one I have.

Box Rocket

bored
Something I'm learning from the comments is that everyone is different.

Like Steve's list of pros/cons....I feel just the opposite about many of the cons listed. First off I feel like my tent is much quicker to setup than a ground tent. I get great ventilation in my Tepui tent if the window are open, that may just be a difference with the Tepui vs the ARB. I don't have the same travel issues or set up to dry issues since my tent is usually mounted to my trailer. I can set mine up in the garage to air dry easily since it isn't always on the truck, and I don't have to worry about putting it down if I want to drive somewhere for the same reason. Of course if it's on the truck then the same issues remain. As for comfort, Steve said his was super uncomfortable. This is no different than the mattress you have on your bed at home. You might think it's awesome, but another person sleeping in your bed might think it's the worst mattress ever created. Everyone is different. I sleep FAR more comfortably in my RTT than I ever have in a ground tent on a sleeping pad, or even on a cot with an extra foam pad.

Bottom line is that it's a good idea to try out a RTT if you can find one you can borrow and see if it fits your needs for how you like to camp and if it's comfortable for you or not. There are too many variables that can work for some and not for others. I will never use a ground tent again unless I'm backpacking.

spencevans

Overlander
For those who are considering RTT now is the time to buy. I know CVT is doing a group buy for 30% off right now. I have been happy with my 6 man CVT tent and awning. I have not had any issues with heat loss through the bottom. Just today I finally got around to airing it out for the first time since FYTO back in December. It was still in great shape despite being put away wet. They use a really nice mildew resistant fabric. I have had a couple of RTT and I like the bigger tents. My current one is 96x87 when open. I can sleep up to 5-6 in the tent and 2-3 in the annex and 4-5 in the screened awning. There are a lot of options for sleeping.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/122653-2014-CVT-Group-buy!

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
That's a pretty good deal, I'm actually tempted to get one now...

Anybody wanna do a group buy to ship to Utah? :D lol

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
You can position it like this, that's $500 you'll save buying it now that can be used towards diapers and formula vs buying it at full price later.

spencevans

Overlander
Chances are you may be able to get free shipping/delivery if Bobby at CVT is going to the Easter Jeep Safari or the Overland Expo. I got free shipping on mine but I had to wait a few months. It never hurts to ask him.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I'm not an actual member of that forum, but I did see the name Bobby get thrown around in that thread. Is he on that forum? I may have to sign up to reach out

Troop92

You can position it like this, that's $500 you'll save buying it now that can be used towards diapers and formula vs buying it at full price later.

Hmmm.... Finish my 'wife list' of things this weekend, get her relaxed and happy, and that that might just work! Brilliant!

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
There you go!

Do you guys know which one is bigger? As far as usable space goes, the ARB Simpson III or the CVT Mt. Rainier?

Last edited:

spencevans

Overlander
I'm not an actual member of that forum, but I did see the name Bobby get thrown around in that thread. Is he on that forum? I may have to sign up to reach out

Bobby could care less if you are a member of the forum. Just tell him you saw the group buy on the forum and call him directly at CVT. It is not so much of a group buy, but more like a 30% off sale for all who are interested no matter what their group affiliation. I think I saved about $900 on my CVT tent and awning when I bought them when he had his last sale. The other nice thing is the tents come with a free annex.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Cool thanks for the info! Is yours pretty weatherproof? I mainly am interested in one for rainy or snowy weather where I don't wanna be dragging a tent on the ground. Has it been water proof for you? I know everyone that has the ARB has said no issues.

spencevans

Overlander
Cool thanks for the info! Is yours pretty weatherproof? I mainly am interested in one for rainy or snowy weather where I don't wanna be dragging a tent on the ground. Has it been water proof for you? I know everyone that has the ARB has said no issues.

I have only had it out a half dozen times since last fall but it has seen wind, rain and snow. I have not had any issues with the water or condensation. The CVT tents are made with the heavy 280g canvas while many of the competitors are made with the thinner 260g canvas. I have the McKinley mounted on a Baja Rack. My biggest complaint is the pad that is used in the tent, but all RTT use the same 2.5" foam pad. I just use an additional 3" pad and that provides plenty of padding. My kids are fine with sleeping on the 2.5" pad. Overall I am happy with it. I like it better than RTT's I have had in the past. It is roomy, the cover is very durable and easy to deal with and most importantly that big rain fly keeps the water out.

I did not even stake the tent down and I stayed nice in dry.

12829311373_f88b0b004a_b.jpg

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Thanks for the review, how do you like the Baja Rack? I was thinking of just welding up my own cross bars for one, due to the price if the Baja, but it just seems so well engineered that I'm not sure if maybe it is worth the price.

spencevans

Overlander
Thanks for the review, how do you like the Baja Rack? I was thinking of just welding up my own cross bars for one, due to the price if the Baja, but it just seems so well engineered that I'm not sure if maybe it is worth the price.

I like the Baja Rack okay but I am not thrilled with it. The powder coat chips easy and the exposed metal rusts easy. Looking back on it I wish I would have spent the extra dough and bought the Front Runner rack.