J.O.A.T. Sierra

LT.

I like this plan. Sensible except for fuel mileage and you're not getting that in that truck anyway :D

You're right. I will be thrilled if I can maintain double digits with mileage. 10 mpg in town would be fantastic and 11 or 12 highway would be unbelievable. I think I am going to keep the carb I have on the small block. Seems to run a little rich now and it is an older q jet.

I am still in awe about your suggestion in regards to running the larger tire and better mileage.

LT.

LT.

Today my youngest daughter and I went for a drive in our 1st snow storm of the season. Never did lock hubs or, engage the transfer case. Only about an inch or two of snow anyways.

The new tires did just fine. Never did slip without lots of throttle. Only bad thing was the lose factory steering in a 40+ year old truck.

LT.

LT.

Awesome! What do you think it loose, tie rod ends or something bigger like the box?

I think it is a combination of things. Orginal steering box, old steering joints, piss poor steering geometry, that kind of thing. I took pictures but, I can't figure out how to get them from my LG3 phone to this forum. Anyone have ideas?

Also, Greg, when is the fall colors tour gonna happen? That's one of my favorite trip reports.

LT.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think it is a combination of things. Orginal steering box, old steering joints, piss poor steering geometry, that kind of thing. I took pictures but, I can't figure out how to get them from my LG3 phone to this forum. Anyone have ideas?

Also, Greg, when is the fall colors tour gonna happen? That's one of my favorite trip reports.

LT.

Looks like you got the pics, the truck looks great with a white backdrop! (although I hate to see snow on the ground already!!)

There was no Fall Colors Tour for this year, instead we took a vacation at that time and drove to Canada and some of the national parks up there. I've thought about a trip report, but we were in the car so it wasn't very exciting. :)

LT.

Looks like you got the pics, the truck looks great with a white backdrop! (although I hate to see snow on the ground already!!)

There was no Fall Colors Tour for this year, instead we took a vacation at that time and drove to Canada and some of the national parks up there. I've thought about a trip report, but we were in the car so it wasn't very exciting. :)

Oh no. That is my favorite annual trip report.

LT.

LT.

Today, I took the Sierra up a trail that dumps out at American springs. The trail is tight for a full size and there is no room for another vehicle on the trail. I also took some pictures and I scored a free camper shell for the truck also. The free camper is exactly what I was looking for and will fit the next phase of the build perfectly. 1109151430a_HDR.jpg1109151430_HDR.jpg1109151435_HDR.jpg1109151500_HDR.jpg1109151500a_HDR.jpg1109151522a_HDR.jpg1109151655_HDR.jpg

LT.

Last edited:

LT.

As usual, after every modification, my baby and I did the 100 mile test loop. We had cross winds, head winds, cross winds, tail winds, cross winds, and head winds again. After 100 miles we used 7.817 gallons. That is an average of 12.79 mpg. The best to date. All I did was remove the extruded aluminum armor deck and install the camper shell. Really happy with the results.
1110151120_HDR.jpg1110151120a_HDR.jpg1110151216_HDR.jpg1110151216a_HDR.jpg

LT.

LT.

Sierra has just finished with another round of modifications/repairs. I added some hood stiffening brackets and some new hood hinges from LMC truck. I also had to have the brake booster and master cylinder replaced. For the last little while I have not had front brakes and she has been parked.

LT.

Bart

Good idea on the stiffening brackets and hinges. I bent a hood on one and it could have been avoided. Bummer about being parked and good luck on the brake fix.