January 6th, your opinion.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have learned the most from people that I disagree with. I have zero hard feelings for anyone who disagrees with me, if anything I have more questions. I really appreciate Pike responding and the tone of this thread.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Herzog here. I think he actually lost money being the president as opposed to the Clintons and the Obama's who were not wealthy prior to the presidency. All president's have a lucrative post office career speaking for big $$$. I don't bemoan any of that either, it's a pay off for what I assume is a non stop pressure cooker for 4-8 years.
Pike - I don't get your argument about Trump using the presidency to pad his pockets, because for the first time in a very long time he was one of the only ones who actually lost net worth. A lot of people liked him at the beginning because they claimed he couldn't be bought. I hated him during the election cycle, I voted libertarian (as I did for the two cycles before that) but after he got it and seeing how the system was frothing at the mouth at him it made me take a deeper look into what was really going on. It reminded me of the attacks on Ron Paul but x 9000

I don't mind that you have a different view on that, I just wanted to add some context and a little data point to this conversation.

I wasn't a pro Trump other than liking his troll factor. That was until I saw how bad the entire establishment hated him. I still think he is an ass hole and his behavior since the election and 1/6 has only denigrated him more in my perspective. That doesn't change the fact that many people outright made things up to get him out of office.

Trate D

I assume this was directed at me? I am curious, just because I voted for Biden (actually just against Trump, but usually vote Libertarian) I am not at all happy with how things are. That doesn't mean I regret voting for him.

You seem to mistake my vote for Biden an an endorsement of him. It was simply a "I can't stand Trump, I feel he is one of the most vial human beings alive" So, while I voted for Biden, I honestly don't think we would be ANY better with Trump....and possibly worse, but there is no way to really tell.

As to MBryson's comments about other presidents and their financial interests....I completely agree that most presidents will gain financial benefit from their time in office, and will set themselves up for when they leave (hell, not just Presidents but all Senators and Congressmen do this I believe) I just feel that Trump, being more of a slimy businessman, with such a huge ego, LIKELY (my opinion, and we'll see if it ever comes to be verified) is the worst one by a long shot. Bidens' are pretty bad as well. I don't agree with him...but I dislike Trump more.
Not so much directed at you but just in general. I am interested to get feed back on if any regret or what positives you have. (Thanks for yours.)

I understand that a vote against trump isn’t a supportive vote for Biden. It seems anyone I ask they say that they don’t like what he has done/is doing. But they are also quick to say that it’s not there fault for voting for him. I feel this is what happens when people vote on feelings vs what’s best for the whole picture.

Is trump the answer? Absolutely not. Was in my opinion was the country in a better economic state, better foreign relations, and still considered the most sought after land to live in. Yes!

I see the current administration heading us down a dark path for American freedoms and even more divisiveness among us. I hope we can all come together one day and stand up for our freedoms and appreciate what this country has been/can/will be with the right leadership and less government overreach.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I think comparing the finances of Trump over any 4 year span is like playing with a yoyo while going down a water slide. He'll leverage leverage leverage, ride the wave, shield as many assets as possible, bankrupt and repeat. He's the embodiment of the tricks the wealthy can use to manipulate the system, and I get the idea of applying sound business to politics being better than politics to business... But he's left a pile of bodies behind him in the process. I don't know that even on the business side he's the sort I'd aspire to be like. Is his legacy in business leaving the world, his employees, and his industries better than he started, or worse?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think comparing the finances of Trump over any 4 year span is like playing with a yoyo while going down a water slide. He'll leverage leverage leverage, ride the wave, shield as many assets as possible, bankrupt and repeat. He's the embodiment of the tricks the wealthy can use to manipulate the system, and I get the idea of applying sound business to politics being better than politics to business... But he's left a pile of bodies behind him in the process. I don't know that even on the business side he's the sort I'd aspire to be like. Is his legacy in business leaving the world, his employees, and his industries better than he started, or worse?

I love the idea of business owners in politics. However we just have to look to our own state to see how well that kind of thing works out. (example: I wonder who will be benefitting from the prison shutdown and "the point" development---I'd bet that is someone's family member or business partner for sure?) Trump is an "odd" business man. I imagine "business" in NY is a little different than "business" in the west? Trump seems to have "played" the system for his whole career? How he made it to elected office is a bit of a mystery to me but he was the candidate facing Hillary. Apparently a lot of us don't care for her?

Speaking of body count. There's a lot of interesting car accidents and suicides surrounding the Clintons. I can't imagine they're that different than other prominent politicians? Does Trump have similar "body count"?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I love the idea of business owners in politics. However we just have to look to our own state to see how well that kind of thing works out. (example: I wonder who will be benefitting from the prison shutdown and "the point" development---I'd bet that is someone's family member or business partner for sure?) Trump is an "odd" business man. I imagine "business" in NY is a little different than "business" in the west? Trump seems to have "played" the system for his whole career? How he made it to elected office is a bit of a mystery to me but he was the candidate facing Hillary. Apparently a lot of us don't care for her?

Speaking of body count. There's a lot of interesting car accidents and suicides surrounding the Clintons. I can't imagine they're that different than other prominent politicians? Does Trump have similar "body count"?
I didn't necessarily mean body count literally, rather just a path of destruction of people and businesses in his wake. The Clinton's certainly have some skeletons in their closets too, as does any rich and powerful family. People that have that kind of money and power think the rules don't apply to them, so it's not a surprise that they have a lot of dirty laundry they try to keep out of the media.

As for business in Utah, I agree. In fact I'd be willing to say that Utah is worse than most places. The nepotism, specifically religious nepotism, is so rampant here that it is just accepted as the way things work. I think that slides into politics too. A state that is barely 50% (likely less) LDS being controlled by a government that is approaching 90% LDS has to raise flags to anyone paying attention....but then the the legislature overriding the independent redistricting committee that the people voted for, just to install their own district maps to preserve the comically unnatural super majority...well that's just business in Utah. I mean, if you want to talk about how a controlling power continues to manipulate the political process to maintain their own power...look no further.

I listened to a podcast a while back about Trump's first Presidential campaign where they had a bunch of his advisors and staff on. Basically the sentiment was that he was running for the publicity and when he actually won, he didn't really know what to do. That wasn't his endgame and he wasn't prepared for it, but his marketing was so effective that he got there. A lot of other talk about he became a bit drunk with his power, but that's probably not something exclusive to his presidency.

I just think he invents the ethics and rules he wants. If he's losing, change the rules, or create enough spin on it to cloud the details so that he can slide through without taking any direct heat. He didn't lose the election...I mean, he LOST the election, but his full time campaign to try and cast doubt on the election results is simply meant to keep his name on everyone's tongue. It's marketing. I mean, homie can go on publicity tours and get international attention without spending a dime of his own money lol. If ya'll think there is more to it than that at this point, you've been duped IMO.

Houndoc

I realize I have a different opinion than most here, and I rarely read, and even more rarely post in this section of RME, but when I saw the thread title, if figured why the h*** not. This post is about personal opinions and this is mine. January 6th was an all out assault on our democracy and our country. It was not Antifa, or any left leaning group that inspired it. It was a brazen attempt to overturn a fair and free election inspired by, and at the invitation of, the man at the top. There was no massive voter fraud and most of the audits and recounts actually increased Biden's win. The pictures that are posted in this thread are offensive, and a slap in the face, to the Capital Police that fought bravely, suffered, and some even died solely because of the fragile and bruised ego of the most dishonest man to ever sit in the Oval Office, and he continues to lie about voter fraud to this day. What actually blows me away is that despite all of the lost court cases, and the complete lack of evidence, some people actually believe him, and others even worship him.

Believe it or not, I voted Republican my whole life until 2016, but could not in good conscience vote for Trump. I also couldn't vote for Hillary. To be honest, I am not a Biden fan, but at least he's honest, well as honest as a career politician gets. He was elected by the majority of legal US voters and won the job. Just to state another opinion, inflation and supply chain problems didn't happen because of the actions of any decsions made in the last 12 months. I feel sorry for anyone that had to clean up the mess from 2020.

I'm sure I'll lose some friends over this. Oh well, life goes on.
Well said.