Northern Utah January RME Trail Run - Black Rock Canyon, New Years Day Snow Run

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So with the lack of snow for this run, I'm wondering about going somewhere else, nearby with more elevation. Any thoughts on snow depth up above Ophir? Thing is, I don't know the dirt roads up there at all. Long as we can find some open roads with deep-ish snow, we should be good. If others in the group aren't digging the lack of snow, we could always do a Rattlesnake run instead.

Pile of parts

I was thinking about this today and wondering if you'd be interested in the Snakes, due to the lack of snow. Doesn't look like there's any in sight. I'd be really interested if some of the group knows the way on Sidewinder.

Greg

Admin
That right, Dirthedz do that each year. If we met an hour earlier it may be two ships in the night.

I'm planning on meeting in Lehi at 8 AM for this trip... a bit early, but gives us time to travel, air down, etc. I'd really like to hit Blackrock if there is more than a foot of snow... but that's hard for me to gauge from Colorado! Derek Krantz posted on the RME FB page a few days ago and said he ran over Blackrock on the 24th and there was around 4" at the most. :oops:

It doesn't look like there is any snow forecasted between now and the 1st for the area, either. :(

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I wonder if we can get somebody close to do a quick recon up there soon. It did snow a bit up here Christmas eve and day. There was a fun amount of snow in the canyon where we did the recovery today.

Greg

Admin
I wonder if we can get somebody close to do a quick recon up there soon. It did snow a bit up here Christmas eve and day. There was a fun amount of snow in the canyon where we did the recovery today.

We should plan a snow run up around Kamas soon! :cool:

The BOAR group is doing Black Rock on Saturday, we could get some updates from them.

I don't know any of the BOAR guys, but a report would be great.

RogueJeepr

Here!
I like the Kamas idea. It's different and we know there is snow. Plus with the boar group going up blackrock would be too easy .

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I should still be in for the day, I've been sick and haven't gotten nearly as much done as I wanted to have done on the XJ by then but it should still be ready enough. And yeah, the snow we got on Christmas Eve is pretty much all gone and will definitely be gone by Monday.

Greg

Admin
I like the Kamas idea. It's different and we know there is snow. Plus with the boar group going up blackrock would be too easy .

Kamas will have to be another trip, this one has been planned for awhile and I've tossed the invite out on FB where there has been a lot of interest. I really don't want to change the location last-minute, despite the lack of snow. I would think there is more snow up above Ophir due to the elevation, at least that is in the same area.

I should still be in for the day, I've been sick and haven't gotten nearly as much done as I wanted to have done on the XJ by then but it should still be ready enough. And yeah, the snow we got on Christmas Eve is pretty much all gone and will definitely be gone by Monday.

Don't push it if you're sick, my wife has had a cold and it's been pretty rough on her. If you make it, great... if not, no biggie!

D

Deleted member 12904

Ive been on the ophir trails several times. Not much of anything you could take a full size rig on.

D

Deleted member 12904

You could Dry Canyon over to Jacob City near ophir? I mean I wouldnt take a full size truck up personally but its an option.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Don't push it if you're sick, my wife has had a cold and it's been pretty rough on her. If you make it, great... if not, no biggie!

I think I'll be alright, yesterday I didn't even get out of bed but today I at least have energy lol. Headed to the DMV to get a temporary registration for the XJ now. Realistically there's nothing on the XJ that would keep me from going, I just just hoping to have at least the new '97+ front clip painted and stuff. Maybe I'll still be able to, or at least have it in a primer-sealer. I think I'll have the winch bumper at least functional but maybe not 100% finished.

P.s. You're member #2? Who's #1?

Greg

Admin
I think I'll be alright, yesterday I didn't even get out of bed but today I at least have energy lol. Headed to the DMV to get a temporary registration for the XJ now. Realistically there's nothing on the XJ that would keep me from going, I just just hoping to have at least the new '97+ front clip painted and stuff. Maybe I'll still be able to, or at least have it in a primer-sealer. I think I'll have the winch bumper at least functional but maybe not 100% finished.

P.s. You're member #2? Who's #1?

Sounds good, would be fun to see the XJ on the trail!

#1 is the Admin account. ;)