Jeep Cherokee above the B in Bountiful?

Badger

I am the Brute squad
i'm thinking i might take a run up there tomorrow to take a look and see how far i can get and if its out there.if anybody else is up for a run tomorrow up there with me that would be cool.

offroaddave

It's just one term!
Do it we'll it's early.
we tried this last year w/ some dumbass teens ( my niece being one of them) And 35's locked front& rear could'nt make it up in the afternoon, morning though, was a piece of cake. :)

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I'd be glad to get involved as well. 801-920-3044

Jared

EDIT - I would like to help with the extraction, not the Sunday morning scouting run. I've got family stuff until afternoon.

Last edited:

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I'm not sure how to get there but would be glad to go as well... girlfriend wants to go play in the snow so this would be fun for her! might have her drive just for the fun of it... call me 566-2256 John

xiero

Silently judging you.
Wow, a lot happens in a day.

I was up there and saw it on Thursday, and discussed it with Scoutabout - who posted this thread.

Here's the situation: Stock Cherokee wanders off main road onto an ATV trail, looks like whoever the driver was swung a little to far to the right to avoid some Rocky Mountain Pinstriping, and started sliding down the hill in the mud - BEFORE IT SNOWED. My brother was tooling around up there on his quad and sees this guy carrying 100' of cable and goes over to see what's up. By this time there's snow on the ground and the guy hitches a ride to his Cherokee so he can cable it up to the trees and leave it until summer. (Not to worry, he takes a no tresspassing sign with him :) )

He cables the front axle to a few trees, and leaves it. This was last Saturday. Thursday morning I go up there in my Cruiser with 3 guys on quads. I get to where I am no longer comfortable (stock FZJ80), and hop on the back of a quad to go see this thing (maybe 2 miles from where I parked). With more rigs - you can easily get within 200 yds of the truck. Without snow, a cakewalk because you can just plant the passenger side tires off the trail and go (driver's side there are too many trees). With the snow, you can't get too close. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it will be pretty tough.

You can get about 200 yards away, but the angle will be pretty interesting so make sure someone takes a block and tackle (or 2), and extra cable and straps. If you secure the Jeep, there is some usable cable up there (insulated 1/4" with a hook on one end, and cable clamps on the other - take a 1/4" ratchet and assorted sockets).

Directions - to the best of my recollection:

Go up to the B. Take a left right as you enter the parking lot, and continue up the windy road to the tippy top. Take a right. Stay along the ridgeline for 2 - 3 miles. The road will eventually break off to the right (west) and go pretty steep down for about 1/4 mile. It will flatten out and turn South for another 1/4 to 1/2 mile then head West on another pretty steep decline. When the trail veers off to the North, stop, get out, look South, and follow the little trail toward the South East for 200 yds. Look to your right, under the snow will be a Blue, '97+ Cherokee on STREET RADIALS!

I wish I would have had my GPS.

I wish I would have seen this thread yesterday.

Because of the snow today, I think this guy is SOL - I hope I'm wrong.

I'll post this in the upcoming trips thread as well.

Good Luck.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
He took a no tresspassing sign? Sounds like he should have taken a FOR SALE sign! :D

Sounds like a tough recovery even without the slick roads. Are them many good trees up there to anchor from? It would be bad if another rig slid off trying to help.

xiero

Silently judging you.
XJDevil said:
is the jeep on skyline and do u know the guy who owns the jeep if so could u contact him and tell him wats goin on

My brother got a first name only from the guy, but he didn't tell me what it was (not that it would help).

xiero

Silently judging you.
rusted said:
He took a no tresspassing sign? Sounds like he should have taken a FOR SALE sign! :D

Sounds like a tough recovery even without the slick roads. Are them many good trees up there to anchor from? It would be bad if another rig slid off trying to help.

Tough? Yes. Impossible? Maybe. There are some good trees within 100 feet, and a bunch of smaller ones right off the trail. With the snow, weight/leverage will be the biggest factor. The Jeep is firmly planted on frozen mud, the extraction vehicles will be on snow.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Trip report in...

I typed up a quick trip report and posted some of the pictures I had... it was a short and sweet run... never made it to the XJ...

Anyone need XJ Parts and have a snow sled?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I'll go after I get my Rubicon back on the road...Hopefully the axles will be here tomorrow...
Being almost 5,000 lbs and aired down it does very well in the snow/mud (ask anyone that TRIED to pull me in the contest up in Price). I also have a large (16,500 lb) winch and the itchin' to play in the snow.... :D
I think if anyone could make it up there, it would be Badger in his XJ though....

Sounds like we have plenty of volunteers for the extraction. Now we NEED to get the VIN and license plate number. Some of you mentioned that you have sleds. Can someone please go up there in the next couple of days and get the info. Then I can find the owner, and we can organize a rescue.

We're going to run out of time very soon, so can someone with sleds or a couple of heavily modified rigs (badger +1?) get the VIN # and license #?