Jeep Cherokee/ J-10 wide track

SRSCOUT

Outside the Box
I'm in the process of an axle swap on my Scout II. I have a FF Dana 60 rear under it now that came from a 73 F-250 2WD. It measures out at 66" WMS-WMS. From what I have been able to find the match for this (with a passenger side diff) would be a Dana 44 from a Jeep J-10 or Cherokee Chief. I have a Cherokee 44 front (driver side diff) from I believe an 82 Wagoneer. I'm not sure if the spring perch spacing on these and the Wide Track fronts were the same. Before I put in the effort to round one up I'd like to know that I'm no wasting my time/money.

So if anyone here happens to know the measurement between the centering pins on a Wide Tack front I would really appreciate it. Also if anyone knows where I could score a wide track front for a reasonable price I would be interested in that info as well (assuming it is going to meet my needs.

Thanks===== Scout

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Wide track and narrow track J-10/Waggy/Cherokee axles all have the same mounting points and are therefore interchangeable. If you're trying to match an 8-lug 60 rear axle, a J-20 front axle may be a better (although harder to find) starting point as it will be a matching 8-lug pattern. The J-20 front is still a Dana 44, but has the bigger 3/4 ton-ish brakes. Mounting points for a J-20 front axle will also be the same as well.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
The J10/20 and Cherokee dana 44 axles share parts with Chevy trucks of the same era so the rotors, calipers etc are an easy swap if you want to match the 8 lug rear. Just pay attention to the small/large bearing spindle that changed around 78. I have a fair number of these parts laying around if you could use them.