Jeep VS Full Size Crawler??? Pros/cons

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
Anyone made the leap from a Jeep to a full size rig? I have well built YJ and just bought a K5 Blazer. Need more room for the family ;)
Just wondering how much of a difference the size really is on the trail. I run with guys running full width axles, but no full width bodies. I'm assuming its only tight in a few spots, but would appreciate any experience you may have. Thanks in advance!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Every full size trail rig that wheels the tough trails is uber tetanus shot. However, if you're just running Moab type trails and stuff that aren't "buggy" type trails, I think the K5 will be fine. They are sweet rigs. To bad there's not a modern version. The "carlike" SUV is a bit ridiculous in my mind. Fine for people that want that, but it seems to be really dumbing down actual SUV.

Last edited:
The mog is about the size of a k5, just a lot taller. There are lots of places that are a tight fit in Moab, but not many that would turn you around. More likely is a lot more stiff brushing, like on Kane creek.

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
Awesome I appreciate the info.

It will mainly just be a Moab trailer queen. We usually run Pritchett, Behind the Rocks, Rusty Nail etc. not looking for a buggy, although it would be fun! But we'll also use it for some local trails in the Uintahs etc.

I've never seen a Unimog on the above mentioned trails. Eric, have you ran any of them, or something similar?

Mbryson- X2 on the modern SUV!

Last edited:

1adam12

THE BEAST
A friend of mine has ran all those trails in a 82 chev long bed that has been bobbed with no problems, you will be fine.

thenag

It will mainly just be a Moab trailer queen. We usually run Pritchett, Behind the Rocks, Rusty Nail etc. not looking for a buggy, although it would be fun! But we'll also use it for some local trails in the Uintahs etc.

If you could keep the weight down those trails would be do-able. Honestly I think going from a built jeep type vehicle you will be constantly annoyed at the incapability of the vehicle. (guessing that only because I am constantly amazed at the capability of the xj)

The last time I had the Bronco on prittchet I got to be the first person to try the lower winch anchor on chewey. (they seriously installed it while I was failing at driving up it) I did rusty nail once, I am pretty sure I got lucky on the entrance.

Read my build thread for why we tore down the Bronco. My biggest issue was weight. My Bronco was 6500lbs. Most of that is when you have that much weight you need heavy stuff, then you have more weight... vicious cycle... (my xj is 5400lbs without a winch so part of it is that I carry a lot of crap)

Every full size trail rig that wheels the tough trails is uber tetanus shot.

That is nicely put.

I had an 87 bronco with one ton's a 460 and 37's.

Nathan
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?83436-Nathan-and-Tanja-s-99-XJ-Build-up

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
Thanks Adam. I appreciate the info.
Nag- she won't be a light rig by any means. But maybe that will keep the wheels on the ground? My Jeep has been known to bust a wheelie or two :D

I did a super cheap K5 build last year to mount a snow blower for my cabin and in the process became reacquainted with how cool the Blazers are (had one when I was 18).

4", 35's, 3/4 ton axles from a burb and rear lockright and it does pretty good. Growing up we mainly wheeled fullsize blazers, broncos and pickup trucks.

The body is definitely bigger though, not the same as just full width axles, which is what I have on my Scrambler.

My son has driven both the blazer and his 4cyl yj (4:1, locked) and he's not sure which one he wants to take to Moab. Maybe both.

4x4life

Like what has been said before the width is not a huge deal running around in Moab. you will notice its bigger but you wont be rubbing every rock in the county. The biggest thing that will take some getting used to is the weight. its going to be heavy which might mean a change in driving styles, get comfortable with the "go pedal". Also your going to be dragging alot more tail end, that goes for dropping off ledges and going up tall faces. I wheeled a Blazer for 8yrs and it wheeled all those trails you listed great. Its just a different experience. I wheel a Grand Cherokee now, couldnt resist the 4 doors.

zukijames

I would say my land rover is about the size of a k5 only had it to Moab once.

messed up front bumper and drug rear deck , I mean bumper all over. And scratched the passenger door

Did hells,went around the obstacles on green day at bfe, flat iron Mesa , steel bender twice, and prichett canyon,then did rattle snake and part of constrictor in the sow the day I got home from Moab

Got close here but I think that's common

IMAG0165.jpg

Stock with trimmed fenders, rear tube bumper, welded rear end, 33 inch Baka claws

Awesome I appreciate the info.

I've never seen a Unimog on the above mentioned trails. Eric, have you ran any of them, or something similar?
Mbryson- X2 on the modern SUV!

Sorry for the delay - For some reason, I've never run Behind the Rocks or Rusty Nail with the mog, but I have run Pritchett many times over the last several years. The biggest issue with my rig is weight (around 9500 lbs), not usually size. It is too heavy to get up the face of the rockpile, but I used to drive up the right side of the same ledge when there was a big boulder there to give a little boost - now that there is a bypass on the other side of the ravine, it is not too much problem. Rocker knocker is a hit or miss with me. I've never figured out if it is changing conditions or just me not being consistent enough - again, the bypass has never been an issue. Chewy has gotten a little more difficult over the last few years, but I've never taken a strap on it yet. I can't imagine that a built up blazer wouldn't do better.

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
Thanks for all info guys, I truly appreciate it.

I took the plunge, sold the Jeep and now I'm committed to my K5. It will be a while before I start the build, but I've already stockpiled the one tone running gear and I have the itch!!!

I'll keep you posted once the build starts. Cheers!

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
It will be a fun build to watch, I like the big full size crawlers. I think aside from weight the biggest difference you'll notice going from a jeep will be visibility. I've mainly run 1st and 2nd gen Toyota's, I owned a second gen Tacoma for a short time and couldn't resist the urge to take it on a few trails. While a 2nd gen taco is by no means a full size, it's noticeably larger than a first gen truck or runner. While on a purpose built rig it won't be a big deal, but I smacked the front end a few times on some rocks I thought I had cleared. I found I had a lot harder time seeing where stuff was. Now will this be an issue after a few trips? Not really you just have to get used to the new rig.

Looking forward to the build thread

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I got rid of my beloved Blazer because it is wide, and top-heavy, even w/a soft top. Going to a lower, wider Jeep for that reason. :D

But... I also have a Burb for taking the family out. And towing the Jeep hahah

LT.

I have read all the replies and agree with most. I am a full size kinda guy but, i think you can run a full size and be lighter weight as well. My beater weighs south of 5000 lbs. I think that is pretty light for a full size. My Christine is going to be around 6000 lbs once done, i have no doubt. Thing is that weight is a little subjective.

You made an excellent choice going with a chevy blazer. Get to know Off Road Design and check out ColoradoK5. You wont be disappointed.

LT.

flexyfool

GDW
I had a '93 Ramcharger for a few years. 318 fuel injected. 4 speed OD auto. 4" lift. 37"s. Locked front and rear. It was a nice pavement driver and handled 2 tracks, muddy climbs, snow, and the easiest of trails well. It was comfortable, quiet, with a lot of room. Flat iron Mesa and steel bender? I expect it could have done those trails, but they would not have been especially fun. Pritchet? Probably doable but ugly. BFE? No way. The rig was wide. The wheelbase was short. The center of gravity was high. The rig was heavy. Lots of low hanging body panels.

LT.

I had a '93 Ramcharger for a few years. 318 fuel injected. 4 speed OD auto. 4" lift. 37"s. Locked front and rear. It was a nice pavement driver and handled 2 tracks, muddy climbs, snow, and the easiest of trails well. It was comfortable, quiet, with a lot of room. Flat iron Mesa and steel bender? I expect it could have done those trails, but they would not have been especially fun. Pritchet? Probably doable but ugly. BFE? No way. The rig was wide. The wheelbase was short. The center of gravity was high. The rig was heavy. Lots of low hanging body panels.

I guess my experience in a Ramcharger is a little different. Stock wheel base for a ramcharger is 106". I have only started pritchett and the same for a few trails in BFE. However, i believe i have conqured most other trails in moab. Behind the rocks, poison spider, gold bar rim, golden spike, fins n things, steel bender, kane creek, hells revenge including hells gate and esclator, and many, many others.

Point being, i think your choice for going with the blazer is a great one. I dont know of any trails in moab where a full size cant go. They may be tighter for a full size but doable.

LT.

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
Well it sounds like the general consensus is that rigs are like women! There's nothing wrong with a full figured gal, you just have to be careful where you take her! :D

I'm actually looking forward to a little more challenge with the Blazer, I was getting to know my Jeep almost too well.

Now the hard part is to decide how much of a trailer queen to make her, I still enjoy a daily cruise on the highway every once in a while! And who knows, maybe she won't be considered a full figured gal when we're done trimming the fat off her!

Here's a sneak peak of the terd as she sits. image.jpg

Hang tight the build will be slow, as we have a newborn at home!image.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks again for all the input, advice, experience and encouragement!