Jeep VS Full Size Crawler??? Pros/cons

LT.

Congrats on the new baby! You will have a lot of fun with the chevy. Lots of folks on here are full sized wheelers so, dont hesitate to ask for help or ideas.
LT.

gertsch

I've been helping my buddy build his fullsize blazer. It wheels really well with 36's and a lock right in the 14bolt and an open 60 front. I'd do the 52" front leaf springs unless you splurge for a link suspension. But I kinda like old school stuff on older rigs. We swapped in a vortec 5.7 and a 700r4. And it drives rather well on the highway.

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
The build might start sooner than expected. I can't just stare at it in the driveway!

Gertsch- I'm interested in the 52" front springs. I'm unaware of them, any info would be appreciated.

OK, here's a starting list. I'm open to suggestions, comments and criticism.

Leafs upfront on D60 W ARB 35 spline outers and drive flanges, disc brakes and hydro assist

4 Link rear on FF14 with Detroit and discs

Keep the 700R4 and bolt a D300 with twin stick 4:1

Debating on stretching the wheelbase a tad, and bobbing the rear to meet in the middle. Including bobbing the hard top. Not sure on the stretch as she's already longer than I'm used to!

Custom cage/sliders/bumpers winch etc.

Captains chairs up front and 3rd row in the back From 02 Tahoe

York Compressor. Factory heat/AC for the little one :)

That's the starting point. I already have the axles, T-case, seats and a few other things rat-holed. I just need the lockers and a few goodies plus someone to come install it! Other than that she's almost trail ready!!

flexyfool

GDW
You are building a trailered truggy? I figured you were doing a full bodied rig. My earlier comments about the old fullsize Blazer/Bronco/Ramchargers are not that valid then.

LT.

52" front springs is pretty easy. Check out DIY4X for all the parts. The 52" springs are the chevy rear springs swapped onto the front. Some folks will then move to either 56" long or the 63" long rear springs. The longer springs will give you some additional flex but, the real improvement is the ride quality. I think there is some youtube videos explaining the beyond 52's for the front end. Also check out Off Road Design for a bunch of your solid axle chevy parts and ideas.

LT.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
IMHO, a D300 is a little bit light for a full size!:-\ For the cost of the gearset & installation on the 300 you could do a 203/205 doubler with more gear options, more strength, & I'm pretty sure you can twin stick a 205! :cool: You already have enough WB especially if your going to stretch it!:thumbs:

Speaking of that, I would add 3" or so to the WB & cut the rear corners up to the floor level! Then build a wrap around bumper with boat sides!:D

Bobbing seems to be a lot of work to go through to loose 4 or 5 inches of overhang, although it would be unique!:guilty:

Just my $.02 worth!:spork:

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
I'm already partially commuted to the D300. I hope she'll hold up. If not, at least there's ample availability.

After looking today, I'm thinking about a 4" stretch on the rear and like Dewey said, cut the rear corners to the floor and wrap it. That gives me more room the cooler, and a WHOLE lot less work :D

I just picked up an awesome truss for the rear axle today from midnight 4X4. It's nice to have a shop today or us Saturday warriors! Thanks guys!!

Thanks for the info on the 52 spring swap. I've been drooling on OFR and DIY4X sites for ideas, just must've missed that section.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm already partially commuted to the D300. I hope she'll hold up. If not, at least there's ample availability.

still time to sell it and apply the $ to an Atlas. FWIW, I have three-four D300 here. 1 good case that's in my Jeep. I've killed outputs, gearsets and cases. TBI 350/700 in a 4500 lb Jeep

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
still time to sell it and apply the $ to an Atlas. FWIW, I have three-four D300 here. 1 good case that's in my Jeep. I've killed outputs, gearsets and cases. TBI 350/700 in a 4500 lb Jeep

Ouch! We're you running front and rear 32 spline outputs? The only thing I've witnessed breakage on we're those. But it did have a Stak case. I may have to reconsider????

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Ouch! We're you running front and rear 32 spline outputs? The only thing I've witnessed breakage on we're those. But it did have a Stak case. I may have to reconsider????

Still running the front stock output. Rear HD has been in all three cases. As mentioned I would been $ way ahead to just buy an Atlas first (not to mention trail breakage and other issues)

4554x4

always modifing something
I run a one ton Blazer. With the mods I have done, it works pretty good. It has the girth and weight issues, but so far it hasn't limited me. Some obstacles the shorter rigs struggle and the Blazer laughs as it conquers them. Other obstacles it's the opposite. I recommend the doubler transfercase, as they can be built quite cheaply. You can modify them to have front dig too. It came in quite handily during a tight turn yesterday. I chose the 56" front springs over the 52" inch. It gave me 3"more wheelbase and 4" lift. My 38.5 tires still rub the inner fenders a little when fully stuffed and turning. I have the 63" rear springs, and it rides sooo much smoother than factory length springs and huge flex. I have been able to keep it low buck. Good value for my dollar for sure. You are welcome to come see it.

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
I run a one ton Blazer. With the mods I have done, it works pretty good. It has the girth and weight issues, but so far it hasn't limited me. Some obstacles the shorter rigs struggle and the Blazer laughs as it conquers them. Other obstacles it's the opposite. I recommend the doubler transfercase, as they can be built quite cheaply. You can modify them to have front dig too. It came in quite handily during a tight turn yesterday. I chose the 56" front springs over the 52" inch. It gave me 3"more wheelbase and 4" lift. My 38.5 tires still rub the inner fenders a little when fully stuffed and turning. I have the 63" rear springs, and it rides sooo much smoother than factory length springs and huge flex. I have been able to keep it low buck. Good value for my dollar for sure. You are welcome to come see it.

I would love to come see your rig one of these weekends. ill definitely take you up on that.
As I've been a Jeep guy this whole time, please tell me more about the doubler set up. I think I have a 205 sitting in my garage, but I'm not quite sure. Would love any input on this, as now I'm a tad nervous with the D300