JK Missing Key

jruss

Anyone here work at a Jeep Dealership. Is it possible to rekey a JK if you don't have any keys? I want to pick up a JK and this one looks decent, minus that fact it's missing all keys. I've heard at some point you can't keep creating new keys for the late model, technologically advanced vehicles.

Your thoughts RME

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I would imagine that if you had a VIN# and proof of ownership, you could get a key made.... but have never tried. I'd call a local dealer and see what they say. And let us know.... I'm curious!

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Any dealership will need proof of ownership. IE: Title or registration. They can get as many keys as you'd like, but they can be expensive depending on the type and vehicle manufacture. Most Land Rover, Mercedes and BMW keys now days are around $250-$500 for the key fob. And since Chrysler has copied Mercedes key technology they are also pretty expensive.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Expensive at the dealer, yes, but any decent locksmith has the computer to tell the ECU to use a new key for a fraction of the cost of having the dealer do it.
Having done locksmith work in the past, any person that presents themselves as the owner of the vehicle to a locksmith accepts the responsibility. Can't expect the locksmith to ascertain ownership and compliance with the law. Some locksmiths may require proof, others may not.

jruss

I ask because I was talking to a friend that owns a used dealership. He told me about a VW that had misplaced the keys and couldn't make a new key for that specific vehicle anymore. Don't remember the reason, I am going to shoot him an email. I'll message jpest too.

Last edited:

Caleb

I know with my Toyotas (Tundra in particular) the dealer would only guarantee the keys would work if you had the vehicle there. They never said there was a limit but they did mention that they've had vehicles before that they tried to make new keys and none would work. In that case the owner had to buy a new computer.