just got off the phone with the AF Canyon ranger station

anzenketh

Good to know. I will probably hike it then. I like the view of the lake that is all I really want to go to. What is the rating for this trail.

Last edited:

Manlaan

Good to know. I will probably hike it then. I like the view of the lake that is all I really want to go to. What is the rating for this trail.

I haven't been to the top of Forest Lake yet this year, and just barely noticed the rocks removed just today, but I did walk up to the main obstacles at the top of the rock garden and they really dont look all that much different than last year. Maybe a few deeper holes right after the ledge where people tend to get their rear tire stuck between the rocks.

So, that being said, last year, I was easily able to do Forest Lake trail in my Tacoma with 265/75R16 tires and standard 2" lift. If I'm not careful, I will hit sliders or armor once in a while, but I have never feared actual body damage on that trail.

The best thing I can recommend, just like with any new person/trail, is to find someone to go with. Helps with so many ways, be it to spot you up the difficult parts, or just show you the lines to take.

As far as rating goes, 3-3.5 / 5 would be my guess, but I've only looked at the rock garden this year and no clue what it looks like further up.

I want to say the trail itself is only like 5 miles long, so if you're in shape, it shouldn't be too bad of a hike.

Last edited:

RockChucker

with some care and thinking, you could get your grand up forest lake. i have done it in a bone stock suzuki tracker with 26 inch tires and the sway bar connected. no body damage or any other damage for that matter. just keep your head straight and you should be fine. but that was last year. with all the run off this year, i could be mistaken.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I haven't been to the top of Forest Lake yet this year, and just barely noticed the rocks removed just today, but I did walk up to the main obstacles at the top of the rock garden and they really dont look all that much different than last year. Maybe a few deeper holes right after the ledge where people tend to get their rear tire stuck between the rocks.

So, that being said, last year, I was easily able to do Forest Lake trail in my Tacoma with 265/75R16 tires and standard 2" lift. If I'm not careful, I will hit sliders or armor once in a while, but I have never feared actual body damage on that trail.

The best thing I can recommend, just like with any new person/trail, is to find someone to go with. Helps with so many ways, be it to spot you up the difficult parts, or just show you the lines to take.

As far as rating goes, 3-3.5 / 5 would be my guess, but I've only looked at the rock garden this year and no clue what it looks like further up.

I want to say the trail itself is only like 5 miles long, so if you're in shape, it shouldn't be too bad of a hike.

Anzenketh is in a bone stock WJ with mismatched tires, he would likely come home with a dented rocker.

anzenketh

Anzenketh is in a bone stock WJ with mismatched tires, he would likely come home with a dented rocker.

I got my tires replaced recently. Hankook Dynapro A1/M Tires P245/75R16/109T. And I do have skid plates for both the tyranny case and the gas tank. Aparently when the first owner baught it they baught the offroad package

Mostly just missing the lift now.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Whats a jeep that isn't dented a little? Better than thinking that offroad is into parking lots

Most of us don't care, but when it is his daily driver with a child on the way and likely a monthly payment on it, there are others to consider before himself. Not everyone drives a 20 year old POS that they don't care if it rolls or not....

anzenketh

Hit the nail right on the head it is a daily driver with payments. Money is the main issue. A little dent that is under the vehicle does not matter so much but if it interfears with the operation of the vehicle or looks like it needs to be repaired then it matters.
True all the money will go to the family however I think I can get away with some sliders

ret32

Forest Service confirmed this afternoon, Forest Lake trail is open for business! Signs and barriers were removed on Friday.

Have fun and keep your rigs out of the lake! ;)