just some sunday wrenching

harkinoff

something to do...
I can't decide whether to keep the scout a three seater or just make it a two seater by cutting it in half, 6" behind the door and making the rest a flat bed with boxes and tire rack, kinda do what Vonski did with his toy pickup in a sense, you get the idea,
I'm all ears here, whats you all's opinion, leave it sort of scout or cut it in half, I will be using a good rust free body here too, the reason this all started is because I'm tired of dealing with this rusted pig, the doors don't shut!!!

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thats cool! Just leave it that way....... :D

I vote for a 2 Seater with a Flatbed/Tool & Parts shelf.

Could you get one of those Pickup Cabs from a IH and make a removeable Hardtop? (Making it work w/ a cage would be a nightmare, though.)

tuck

spud crawler
;) I bet your neighbors just love you.

looks like fun, were you just bored? seriously, what are your plans?

*edit*

it has been a long day, I forgot to read the text with your post, I just looked at the picture.

I think you should keep the backseat..

Last edited:

Caleb

Originally posted by tuck
;) I bet your neighbors just love you.

He was at his neighbors I believe:D

I say chuck the back seat and put that pig on a diet...do something different(atleast for a scout)

tuck

spud crawler
ya gotta keep some flavor...
if you're going to lose the back seat, at least keep the hood and grille, otherwise it's just another tube creation
my $.02

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I bet that toy73scout would give you a rusty chassis to hack up. He wants to go buggy with his post firewall. why trim a rust hole when you can shave

Andy

aka. Hollywood
You remember that comment about Scout / Bronco/ same boat anchor? Change it and make them eat their words. Think of it this way, really easy to add coilovers and such after the back is cut off. Besides Shawn wants to help I'm sure. :D Then maybe he will want to do the same.:D I'm sure whatever you do it will turn out cool, after all you do have some killer drivetrain.;)

harkinoff

something to do...
Originally posted by Greg
Thats cool! Just leave it that way....... :D

I vote for a 2 Seater with a Flatbed/Tool & Parts shelf.

Could you get one of those Pickup Cabs from a IH and make a removeable Hardtop? (Making it work w/ a cage would be a nightmare, though.)

my thoughts exactly, I do have my eyes on a pickup scout II top, but like you said," don't know how I could make it work with a cage though", especially doing a prerunner look:confused:

sukaB

Banned
I say we all move into a cold-a sack of our own...........
Could you amagine the fun and tools and beer and fun and rigs...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ohh yah and CHICKS...
Cut it.....
You'll be lighter than Milner.......

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I say hack it up dude! Ever considered keeping the IH look, and just "pinching" the corners in a bit? Oh, and I see you got rid of the fender some butt-munch drove over too.:D

toy73scout

A free scout I'll take it
hay randy what I was thinking of doing with the buggy that I want to make is take one of my spare top and cut it in to a half cap then make a exocage around the windshiled frame and the half cap that whay the cage dosnt get in the way of any thing on the inside and you can go topless in the sumer and still drive it in the winter

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
I've got the same issues with my Bronco. I'm lucky though cuz mine originally came as a half cab. Now it has a full top. I want something different but I need a sealed top for heat cuz I'm a pansy. So far I've got my front end completely cut off and am in the process of making it one piece. My idea for the rear kind of went along with toy73's idea. Take the full top and cut it down to a half cab. Keep the back lift window and but make it easily removable. So basically you'd have a "hard" bikini top that can be removed completely for the summer. Then you can do anything with the back. Ever seen a Bronco or Scout with the back fenders bent in? I'd love to see how it would look. I'm worried my body would look funny without the back end, so I'm not going flatbed. Do it and prove me wrong though, I'm looking for ideas!

toy73scout

A free scout I'll take it
Ever seen a Bronco or Scout with the back fenders bent in? I'd love to see how it would look. I'm worried my body would look funny without the back end, so I'm not going flatbed. Do it and prove me wrong though, I'm looking for ideas!
thats what I was thinking of doing keep the cab the same with then cut 2"-3" out of the hood and bed weld it back together and make a exocage around it all. and thats is what I was thinking for the top to a T

Last edited:

Andy

aka. Hollywood
You will see a Bronco with pinched in rear fenders soon enough.:D Well, kind of fenders. And oh yeah, I was wondering who that hillbilly was in the Scout.:D Oh sorry Shawn.:p

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
I was thinking, in order to solve the problem of having an exo and a removable hardtop, you could make the exo (at least the top half) removable too. All you need to do is build bolt-on joints at any key locations, just make sure the joints are designed properly to withstand the forces and torqs of a rollover (at least as good as the rest of the cage anyways). This very well make require two or more bolts at each joint, but it should sufice.

this same idea could apply to removeable doors too (ie, either the door, or tube. Not both at the same time).

A little craftyness and you could make it a flip-top exo :)