just totalled the ZJ. What to do

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I just totalled my ZJ.

Is it a good idea to pull all the suspension stuff before the insurance guy gomes?

I want to pull the atermarket suspension and t-case-----is that a good idea or should i leave it?

Cody

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Are you serious? :eek: :( What happened?? Do you have receipts for all the aftermarket stuff? I have never had to deal with a modified vehicle being totaled out........ Damn, you have me all curious!! Did you or anyone with you get injured? Hope not......

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I was turning into a parking lot a little too fast and turned a little too sharp and hit a curb or hole or something. It went over hard and ended up on it's lid. It'll be totalled and I'm not sure if there is enough left to warrant a buy back and creation of a convertable.

I may need to borrow some bodies to do a rapid fire return to stock so I don't get f-d by the insurance. Let me know if you can help.

Thanks

Cody

Everyone is ok. 3 in the car, all had belts. Cop just wrote out a report and that was it.

MattL

Damn dude. that sucks.
I guess next is what ya going to build next with the insurance money?? :)
Always gots to look at the positive side..

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I've been there. I trashed the frame on my old toy. 86 IFS. locked.
It had a new motor with some goodies, F&R detroits-5.29s' Lined bed, nice interior. I was dealing with allstate and they said 3grand and no truck or 2 grand and your truck. I said thanx for the bank and took my truck back. It now half lives in the new ride...
As far as parting it out you should really talk with ther insurance people. They don't give a shit about the cool mods it has. It is all based apon blue book value. If you tell em you want to pull a few parts they may say ok but be quiet....Seriosly it isn;t like they are doing mutch with it but selling it to a J-yard.
If you want help call me 955-7914...Mobile search and rescue and or mechanics....

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
The marathon wrenchathon is happening tomorrow at about 1:00. If anyone wants to come help return the ZJ to stock, your more than welcome. There will be adequate supply of beer and/or soda but I don't have any money to pay.

Skyetone, I would also like to hear your thoughts on the feesability of chopping the top and incorporating a full cage etc. You fabricate so you would have a better idea than I on whether it's worth a shot.

Cdoy

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I also am a convertible :D
Man thats rough..... I was in lil moab after the chop and got my pillar trashed into the rocks and bent it forward about 6 inches. MAN THAT SUCKED!! I got it home and used a big comealong to straiten the window pillar to almost strait. I use alot of sylicone to not make the windshield leak!! Too bad everything else does :D
It could be done!! How much $$ is it for new doors and hood and all that though? This pic is a SOB to make go strait again!!

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I guess you could just weld the rear door shut. Then cut it off at the pillars. I run one 9/16" bolt through my pillars and into my cage for strenth now!! I jave also thought of just building a removable window pillar out of real metal and having it like the old jeeps. Really where you are at is the $$ issue.
I can come help!! Call me though. I get off work after 4pm and work at 9th south and 9th west. call me though so I can know what to bring.
Man it will look straiter after you cut off the extra wrinkles :D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'll call. We should have all the tools, I just think manpower is the issue. I have 4 that I know of not including myself. I will need to run and get tires mounted and figur out what to do about my t-case.

as for hte hood and doors. the hood is fine. the doors can be thrown away. Maybe fab up some safari doors or soemthing.

as for $$$ I have some, and hopefully the insurance can help out. Maybe it'll give enough for a trailer, a tow rig, and a 8 point cage. Crossin my fingers.

Cody

Brent

another nobody
Can you say tube buggy :D 104" wheel base, magnum 318, auto overdrive, 231, clune v, shaved 60 rear, 44 front with warn/ctm, sitting on 38's with the top of the roll cage 6' high and tons of ground clearance..

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Brent
Can you say tube buggy :D 104" wheel base, magnum 318, auto overdrive, 231, clune v, shaved 60 rear, 44 front with warn/ctm, sitting on 38's with the top of the roll cage 6' high and tons of ground clearance..

Um... DITTO!!:D

HAVOC

Cody,

Very sorry to hear about your Jeep. Looks like I'm a couple days too late to help you out. Not that I would have been much help due to my incompetence with tools, but I wish I'd heard about this in time. Do you want me to keep an eye out for 93 5.2s down here Provo/Orem? Tow-Hooks / skidplates etc?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Still unsure what the future will hold. If I keep it, I will chop it and reinforce everything on the unibody to make it as rigid as possible.

If I don't keep it, I will most likely be looking for either a 93 ZJ for cheep (idealy a wood grained waggy!) or a 2 door cherokee w/ the 4.0. Either way I would make it a trail rig.

Insurance picks it up tomorrow so we'll see then.

cody