Kane Creek, recent change

tv_larsen

A group of us ran Kane Creek on Saturday, just ahead of the U4WDA service project group. Recent storms have severely eroded portions of the first few miles of the trail. One point is now impassable by the original trail. There is a very narrow portion of the trail left, but it is unsafe. There is a precarious bypass that someone pioneered over the rocky outcropping above the trail.

I don't know how the bypass will be handled, but to travel the trail now it is the only option.

Attachments

• washout1.JPG
    washout1.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 115
  • washout2.JPG
    washout2.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 122

notajeep

Just me
When i was stuck in the mud hole that day there was on older gentelman on a motorcycle that had just come down KC and said that it was impassable. I didn't beleive him, thinking that he had just never been on the trail before and didn't realize how narrow it really was in parts....... But just goes to show you what an a%% I can be some times....... :greg:

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
Kane Creek has always been that way, that's the great thing about it every couple of years it changes. Years ago it used to begin/end right across the highway from Hole In The Rock. That finally washed out so much that it was rerouted to the present location. I'll never forget the Jeep Safari that I was the lead spotter for in 1977, we had to get everyone to go find a lot of rocks to pile in a big washout that cut the road completely, it was at least 25' deep. Even with over 75 vehicles & their occupants all helping out it took a couple of hours to get enough rocks piled in there to make it across.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Moab Friends-For-Wheelin' was there with some BLM reps for Public Lands Day, and yes, the spot that tv_larson spoke of is very dangerous. To stay even close the original trail would require extreme side-hilling along a narrow spot that is really only wide enough for an atv. To the vehicle's right side is a 10-12 foot cliff into the washout. I would guess that what is left of the trail at that point will be gone after the next storm.

The by-pass is steep, ledgy, loose and off-camber. We got through okay, but it was giving the closer-to-stock rigs trouble. Before long, it will be a major obstacle that will stop all but the best of rigs.

When we were there, most of our Pub. Lands Day work was before this spot. So the BLM reps had already turned around and headed home, and hence did not see this washout. After we got home, we called BLM and reported it. They will check it out soon. I'm not sure what they will decide to do, but I don't see any alternative other than bringing heavy equipment in to do the repairs.

By the way, the rest of our work day went great. We had a total of 5 rigs and 7 people. We did some trail repair and built some fencing, and had a great time.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
A group of us ran Kane Creek on Saturday, just ahead of the U4WDA service project group. Recent storms have severely eroded portions of the first few miles of the trail. One point is now impassable by the original trail. There is a very narrow portion of the trail left, but it is unsafe. There is a precarious bypass that someone pioneered over the rocky outcropping above the trail.

I don't know how the bypass will be handled, but to travel the trail now it is the only option.
did you guys have to turn around?

any carnage on this little trail ride?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Remind me of how you get to Kane Creek.....I think that I have been thinking of a different trail when I've heard it mentioned before

Keep going down the road from Pritchett, past the Cliffhanger turnoff and I think that turns into the trail. I've never done the trail either (meant to do it once, but a guy I was with broke his full float axle shaft on the road by Cliffhanger.......:eek: (he'd rolled the day before))

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
It's probably a couple or three miles past Pritchet. Kind tough to find the trail head due to all the smaller turn offs. It's left of the main gravel road, so just go left and it will be either a camp sight or the trail. We did it over Labor day, and the washed out section was scary then. I'd hate to think what it would be like now with all the water that's been in the area. When we did it, it was VERY off camber, and the trail wanted to slough off under your right rear tire..... :eek: :ugh: Hope RR4W can get a dozer in there before EJS, this is one of the best trails in Moab. Great sceenery, and challenging as well.

Keep going down the road from Pritchett, past the Cliffhanger turnoff and I think that turns into the trail. I've never done the trail either (meant to do it once, but a guy I was with broke his full float axle shaft on the road by Cliffhanger.......:eek: (he'd rolled the day before))

ZUKEYPR

That particular section changes nearly every fall. I can show you pictures where that entire area was darn near flat. That is exactly where myself and a bud suffered some body damage about three years back after a heavy few days of rain. It slammed us hard when the trail just gave out on the drivers side.

Houndoc

Those of you down there, please keep us updated on what happens. Cool trail, some of the narrow parts made me nervous last December!

tv_larsen

did you guys have to turn around?

any carnage on this little trail ride?

We took the bypass. I didn't have any problems, but we had a bone stock Trailduster, a bone stock YJ, and a Land Cruiser w/o low range that struggled some, but the only damage was broken Dana 60 shaft on another Ramcharger on the last obstacle.

tv_larsen

I'll never forget the Jeep Safari that I was the lead spotter for in 1977, we had to get everyone to go find a lot of rocks to pile in a big washout that cut the road completely, it was at least 25' deep. Even with over 75 vehicles & their occupants all helping out it took a couple of hours to get enough rocks piled in there to make it across.

That's a cool story. :)

tv_larsen

Hopefully it was broken instead of a gayed up image vehicle? (sorry, not up on Cruzahs......)
No, it was a fairly capable FJ55 (I think) with a GM 350, Turbo 400, and a 'yota tranfercase. I don't know what was wrong with the t-case, but he attempted several times to get the shifter into 4-low, he even had a pry bar underneath and couldn't get it to shift.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
No, it was a fairly capable FJ55 (I think) with a GM 350, Turbo 400, and a 'yota tranfercase. I don't know what was wrong with the t-case, but he attempted several times to get the shifter into 4-low, he even had a pry bar underneath and couldn't get it to shift.

Cool...... I drove a late model Grand Cherokee a few months ago that didn't have a low range.....:eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::eek::eek: Hoped Toyota hadn't followed suit. The IFS is kinda dorky, but no low range? Come on........ Why don't I just look at a '74 Fury wagon?