Keep toy axles or do one tons??

4Runner

That's kinda what I was thinking. I think it would be easy to swap everything out. The only thing I want to do is add a leaf or two in the front and put Chevy 63s in the rear. It doesn't flex well in the rear. I've done Moab Rim, Metal Masher, some of Cliffhanger, and a couple more I can't think of. And I don't remember what trail it is but some obsticals are Rock Chucker, Potato salid, White Knuckle Hill, and same thing their don't really remember. Haven't been to BFE yet

Last edited:

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
No worries mombo, Yotas always garner a great debate... Hey '4runner', your rig looks way cool dude as it is! I always try to support being on the trail over building it for too long of time. Also, you may need to actually see some abuse on both style mods in person to really be sold on what the correct solution is for you. Example: I saw a TJ with supercharger flat out pin it on eagles nest with narrowed rockwells with w/ rear steer and 44 TSL's and you would not even believe how amazing the sight was. Also, I have seen many yotas on tons that are low slung and narrow so you could not even tell it was modified and still hit the cruise control at 80mph.

Theres a lot to be said for a yota on 37's with 4340 Yota axles (especially if your going street legal and buy quality used parts). Even with a V8, driving style will dictate how they last. Some people also don't mind a broken axle every now and then especially on lifetime warrenty parts. Don't you remember the days when a rig broke, you fixed it with your buddies and continued on the trip. Not every rig needs to be un-breakable or worth 10K+.

Also another very very good option is narrowed/or full width front D60 for legal streetablity and it could also use stock parts for replacement. (min 40" tire for sure). Lots of trick mods, parts and info on this swap and you can be rest assured you won't regret the mod.

Rocks w/ rear steer or even narrowed are super beefy and for romping some throttle it can be a route that will save you thousands. No doubt its a whole step farther than a swap to tons, but I would say right application for the right build. ($1500 & you can source a set, who knows 2 years from now you may be at that point in your build and at that time you will say why didn't I do the swap back then). ALSO, Agree with mike that top loaders require a bit extra to engineer around without a custom chassis to accomodate. (Rear steer...droool)

my 2 cents

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
old yota axles don't get much return on selling used.

Stock 60's hold decent value

Built 60's seem to be a good investment

Stock rocks are medium investment

Built rocks seem to return a good price.

So...
Building yotas and upgrading later will cost you, but if you stay with them your already 95% done (more trail time quick).

Installing stock 60's and building them slow will be a good solution that at least holds the investmant.

Stock Rocks would need more ride height for a 4runner, but you could run up to 47's and support rear steer (not street legal or practical abover 50mph)

Built narrowed rocks could be about the same money as built 60's, but again streetabilty is lacking (just ask Stan Pruet)

Last edited:

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Stock stuff moves slowly and at a lower cost. E Lockers, however, will always be desirable - as well as other higher-end upgrade parts.

"desirable" parts yes no doubt, but you will never get a full return price for a stuff like ARB's, Longs, or other misc TG upgraded axle parts (belive me I have see this with others and succomed to it myself)... us yota guys started to build a yota cause we're cheap (would you pay $900 for an Elocker used?). hahaha

Donavon, your 35's are still like new! You should lightly upgrade your yota axles with used goodies.... Wheel for a couple years while acquiring parts, then take a winter in the shop to swap all your new stuff.

4Runner

A lot of good suggestions. Lol I like all the ideas. I do plan on cutting the body up and plan on rock rash. I'm in the proces of stretching the rear and is going to be cut up. I plan on comp cutting it as well to fit big meats on it. Ya my tires are in way good shape. I like how your thinking James. Maybe I'll wait for my motor to be done throw it In and see what it does. Still have a little while before that is finished. Thanks to everyone that has put in your input. I appreciate all of your guys help.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
hahaha, yeah its crazy UT410 how most of us have def been down this road before :cool:.
Most folks that would build or dump money into D60's would never require an upgrade to any stouter of an axle... Problem is when you build a yota axle to take ya everywhere extreme on 37's, you migrate your goals in life to things that require a D60's ( or mosts do anyway). I have to say though... building sami, yota, or 1/2 ton axles is still fun and gets ya super knowledgable about our sport. Can't put a price on that :D.

I second the idea of sourcing all the parts and doing a bit more research on braking swap parts and steering mods for the build... then have a wrenching party for when ya wanna do the swap and see a miracle happen. I'll bet the swap could be done in one weekend if you plan it right and buy enough beer.

Last edited:

4Runner

Jinx pot thanks for the complement. It's been a lot of fun. Well worth the time work and money.
In these days a lot of things that we build and buy can't really get the money that's put in them anyways. I should know, I'm ten grand on motor and trans that I am planning on putting In the runner. And I know that I will never see that again.

sixstringsteve

one other thing to think about... once you go to a v8 it's going to be a lot harder to sell the yota parts. I wouldn't buy axles from a rig that had a v8 in them just due to the unknown factor of how hard they were hammered. Can they be hammered with a 22re? Sure, but a v8 just has that much potential for abuse/stress. It's a sweet rig, and it sounds quite capable as is.

4Runner

That's a good point. Never really thought of it on the buyers side. If anyone hears or sees any tons on the market will you let me know or send them my way?? My number is 8016438201. That is a cell phone.

abhaulr1

Bush Eaters
Its all a matter of preference, how wide, street legal, not street legal. what size tire, your driving style, are you a driver that likes to crawl everything or a hammer down driver? Just depends on your money situation. Everyone is different, what works for me may not work for you. You need to look at the way you drive, What you have now, how much would you need to spend to get it done. How soon do you want to be on the trail. Not trying to talk you into or out of something, just trying to see things in another light. They have all been great suggestions, from everyone point of view, thats what makes our sport so great, the diversity of knowledge you can obtain by making a informative post like this one. Good luck, and keep us updated.
Dwayne

STAG

On my grind
I'll share my brother's stepdad's runner. It also has the LT1 out of an early 90's Camaro. And it also has Toyota doubler cases. D60's with ARB's front and rear, 39.5 Iroks on Walker Evans beadlocks. Coilovers up front, coils out back. Rear body (and hardtop) are bobbed 14". Interior is all new and flawless.

image_zpsa62b11d3.jpg

image_zps34615b86.jpg

image_zps3269a4fc.jpg

Front axle is actually a Ford axle, that he pulled out the axle tubes, and swapped them to make a passenger-side, hi-pinion D60

STAG

On my grind
Yeah when he bought that rear 60 out of a junkyard he was surprised to find it only had 19 spline axles. They were quickly swapped with 35 spline ha.

flexyfool

GDW
Another question, how do you like the body of the Runner? You go Rockwells (or even wide tons) and it's only a matter of time before it's cut up and turned into a buggy, rather than a 4Runner. That's usually our progression.

I just looked at your build thread. Your 4Runner looks awfully nice with 35's. It is not something I, personally, would use as a base for hard core rock crawling.

I would gradually put in ARB lockers, upgrade the front axle with the typical parts, do the typical Marlin crawler xcase doubler, install body armor, and a nice bumper and winch. Keep it streetable and enjoy all the great moderate rock crawling trails Utah has to offer. You will be able to do everything on 90% of the trails and a good many obstacles on the hardest trails. I mean, you will be able to do Pritchet Canyon minus a few optional parts. What more do you want to do in a full-bodied rig?

If you want to do hard core stuff, buy a tow rig and trailer. Buy a used buggy in more or less working order. It's the cheapest way to get into the "sport" in the long run. Otherwise, you waste all sorts of time and money upgrading to the buggy.