KSL banned gun sales....

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I love the KSL bashing in the comments under the story. I didn't really like KSL anyway, I strictly used the site for classifieds. I'm done, pretty ridiculous delayed action better delete the knife and car section as well. Without research I'm pretty confident cars kill more people annually

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I love the KSL bashing in the comments under the story. I didn't really like KSL anyway, I strictly used the site for classifieds. I'm done, pretty ridiculous delayed action better delete the knife and car section as well. Without research I'm pretty confident cars kill more people annually

I think Rusted did some research and pointed out that residential swimming pools kill more people than (domestic) guns. Not sure if I'm recalling that correctly or not though.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I think Rusted did some research and pointed out that residential swimming pools kill more people than (domestic) guns. Not sure if I'm recalling that correctly or not though.

Yep that is right. Pools, hot tubs and bathtubs have killed approx 7 times more people than firearms in this country. A friends little nephew was recently drowned in a hot tub. It was gated but the toddler somehow got through. There was not a knee jerk reaction to ban hot tubs.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I bet the shooter wore shoes while he murdered. Ban all shoes! At the very least, we should ban the sale of assault shoes. Only the military should be allowed to have them.

CJ Matt

Serial killers have killed way more then 26 people and without guns. There is never talk about banning anything associted with them and I am sure they hate being left out. So lets ban all firearms and sharp pointy objects. We can then pretend like we are on an airplane and eat with plastic utensils.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I don't mean to sound like the liberal here... But..
Swimming pools and hot tubs cause accidental deaths.. Cars are usually involved in accidental deaths.. Guns are in fact a cause of many accidental deaths..
However, When it comes time to do the dirty dead of death the gun is by FAR the tool of choice.
Comparing the gun to accidental pool deaths is ridiculous, and does not provide grounds for our argument..
We need to be arguing the important and REAL facts.

And in reality.. How many of us have sold a gun to somebody without any clue who they really are??

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Swimming pools and hot tubs cause accidental deaths.. Cars are usually involved in accidental deaths.. Guns are in fact a cause of many accidental deaths..
However, When it comes time to do the dirty dead of death the gun is by FAR the tool of choice.
Comparing the gun to accidental pool deaths is ridiculous, and does not provide grounds for our argument..

And in reality.. How many of us have sold a gun to somebody without any clue who they really are??

I think the point of the Swimming pool/ Car / Gun analogies is the fact that Correlation does not equate to causation. IE if a gun is sitting on the ground it is not going to kill someone without someone picking it up and shooting it, A car parked in a driveway will not kill people unless people drive it, and a swimming pool won't kill someone unless people get in it. All are Tools of a sort and have no inherent evil or good to them so blaming the tool for the action that people did with it is faulty reasoning.

In response to your question about selling a potentially lethal item to an unknown person.. how many people did you do a background check on to sell them a Tool such as a pipe wrench or a car that they could go out and kill someone with.. you are placing too much responsibility on others for other peoples actions.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK

You're just asking to be drowned in a hot tub aren't you?;)

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Having guns available served no part in the crime other than saving the miscreant the time it takes to Google "how to make a pipe bomb".
The true tragedy is that no one was able to return fire. It is no coincidence that these things always occur in a "gun free zone".

Last edited:

Caleb

Those are real facts...just because you don't agree with them doesn't make them not real. The point isn't accidental or not, the point is if you are basing banning something on because it's dangerous, then the FACTS show pools, hot tubs, and bath tubs are far more dangerous than any weapon. Infact I'd rather ban something that causes far more accidental deaths than something that caused purposeful deaths, if it's causing that many accidental deaths it sounds like it's pretty damn dangerous.

Few stories for those that think (in any way) banning guns is even remotely good for anyone.

First a story from one of the most liberal places of all...take guns away and the crazies will find another weapon to do what they want.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/17/china-school-attack-doomsday-rumors_n_2313876.html

Then a video, with FACTS showing how crime increases when guns are banned. Again, criminals won't turn in their weapons, the law abiding citizens will. Making it so the only ones with weapons are the criminals, sounds safe and logical to me :rolleyes:

[video=youtube_share;p8RDWltHxRc]http://youtu.be/p8RDWltHxRc[/video]

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo

Timothy McVeigh:
Killed 168 innocent people
Killed 19 children under age 6
Injured over 680 innocent people

You can still buy fertilizer
You can still buy racing fuel
You can still rent box trucks

Last edited:

Caleb

Here are some FACTS from the FBI (read the note, the #1 weapon used in violent crimes is a baseball bat, knee-jerk reaction much to guns???)

18011_10151173442448240_515085559_n.jpg

skeptic

I suppose it depends who you mean. Explosives are a popular choice among some groups. In countries where it truly is difficult to get a gun, knives seem to work. Alcohol can be considered a direct cause of murders. Drunk drivers that kill someone else = murder charge. Drunks that get into a fight and knife someone when if sober they wouldn't have. Booze indirectly kills far more people every year in the US than guns, but nobody talks about making alcohol illegal. When it comes down to it, accidental or intentional, dead is dead.

However, I think we are asking the wrong questions and gun bans is definitely NOT the answer. A bolt action hunting rifle from 100 yards is plenty capable of killing lots of people. A pump action shot gun and a bag of shells hanging from a belt would likely have killed more kids. Even a lowly .22lr pistol and a pocket full of lowly 10 round magazines can be used for mass murder in a crowded mall or school. Banning so-called assault weapons and certain semi-autos will have ZERO impact. If a gun can be used for self defense or hunting, it can be used to kill people.

I have two boys, one in Jr. High and the other in grade school. The thought of something like this shooting sickens me, I can't imagine what those families are going through. Weapon bans and gun-free zones are NOT the answer. MORE guns in the hands of trained responsible adults are a better solution. Make gun training and regular range time a requirement for school principals, VPs, and a certain % of teachers, then require them to CCW in school. Get more CCW holders out in public. Eliminate all the gun-free, easy target, areas. I recently got around to taking a CCW class and the instructor, a police officer, stated point blank that he would like to see every responsible and legally allowed adult to CC. People looking to shoot up a school or movie theater do not care about a sticker on the window saying no weapons allowed, it just means law abiding citizens will be gun free. If an unstable person wants to go on a murder spree, the best fix is to have armed citizens that can stop him. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

skeptic

Here are some FACTS from the FBI (read the note, the #1 weapon used in violent crimes is a baseball bat, knee-jerk reaction much to guns???)

View attachment 78111

I'd like to know where those stats come from. I'd like to believe the chart, but it reads like all the other mostly true but ultimately fake chart some random person threw together to support their point of view.