Kyojin's 2002 WJ family offroader

kyojin

Well as the family got bigger to 4 people, it was time to sell the LTJ and get something more family friendly. I also had a 98 ZJ with the 5.9 but decided I didn't like having to pay for premium gas and it was nickel and diming me with small repairs. So enter a 2002 WJ Limited w/4.7 V8. I was checking KSL, auto trader, craigslist, RME, car soup, etc for a 2000-2004 for a good price. One popped up at Karl Malone Toyota for $3995.00 with 128k miles. I figured that had to be a typo or it was a complete turd. I went first thing Monday morning and checked it out. They were selling it as is and didn't want to put it through their shop. They said it had an exhaust manifold leak, valve covers were leaking, and rear main seal needed to be replaced. Everything else was in pretty good shape. I bought it and took it to Teraflex where they replaced the valve cover gaskets, and machined the exhaust manifold. There was no rear main leak so that saved me about $500.00.

My goal with this vehicle is to build an offroader for the family. Camping, offroading, shooting, hiking, etc. I was first thinking a 33" tire is all I wanted. That would be a good compromise between highway and off highway. But I changed my mind and went with something else.

Here we are stock.

Stock Jeep1.jpg

I wanted to keep lift to a minimum with the tires I wanted. That meant cutting away a lot of sheetmetal. I didn't want to get harassed all the time with having my tires stick out so I bought some Iceland Offroad flares.
Flares in box 1.jpg

They are fiberglass and very beefy. They are also a huge pain to install. The initial fit was pretty good. I took out the file and sandpaper and got a fit I was happy with.

Flares unpainted1.jpg

Once I got them all mounted I bought some Duplicolor matched spray paint from Checker. This is supposed to match the factory paint which it does pretty good.

I initially just bought an IRO 4" thinking I would see how it rode and go from there. Well I didn't want to pay for an alignment twice so I upgraded and got their front long arm kit. I got the high clearance which meant I would cut off my front control arm brackets. The IRO long arm kit only uses an upper arm on the driver side. I've read a lot of reviews on regarding this particular kit and so far I haven't heard of any problems or failures.

For the rear I bought an adjustable A Arm and adjustable lowers. Taking out the stock A Arm is a major pain in the butt. Took me forever. The clearance was such I couldn't fit anything other than a wrench. Here is the end result though.

A arm.jpg

After the 4" lift and painted flares.

Lifted Flares.jpg
Lifted flares 5.jpg

Looks pretty funny with the lift, big flares, and donut tires. Those tires measured a whopping 28" From there I pushed out the rear axle a little and went to Teraflex to get an alignment.

Here it is currently.

Jeep Front.JPG
Jeep Side.JPG

Those are 35x12.50 MTR Kevlars and some 3.75" BS steelies. I guess those were the last set in the country that Discount Tire had. I got really lucky when I ordered them. There were NONE available a few weeks ago. My friend who works at DT in Provo managed to find this set in Illinois. I guess the purchaser backed out and went with something else so I paid to have them shipped here. They arrived Friday of last week and they were getting several calls every day from other stores around the country asking if they were available. I only waited so long because Unique had to make these wheels because of the 3.75" BS.

It rubs on the fog lights on full turn so I'll need to do something about that. I need to get longer bumpstops as well.

I have a Spartan locker for my D44A waiting to be installed. For the front I'll go with an E-locker or ARB. I'm waiting on that in case I want to regear. So far power seems ok with the stock 3.73 gears. Heck I had 4.10's and 37's with the 4.0 on my LTJ so this feels just fine.

My future wish list includes:

Iceland Offroad Front winch bumper
Rear tire carrier of some sort
E-Locker or ARB
242 T-case
Truss and skid for the D44A
Possibly a roof rack

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Looks awesome. We picked up an '02 Overland a couple months ago. It's my wife's DD so I won't change it too much, just a 2" BB and slightly bigger tires - nothing as drastic as yours.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
not that it matters but you can reflash the 5.9 computer to use standard.

I love the dubj's but good luck if you want to stuff a 35 into those wheel wells. I built one with a friend a while back with a hp44 and 9" and everything rubs. We had to tub the firewall and hammer the wheel wells in the back

kyojin

Thanks guys. I plan on working on some extended bump stops this week. Probably will throw the Spartan in as well.

@ Bear how come you gave up on your WJ? Sorry about not being able to give you my up country shocks. They were gone pretty quick!

kyojin

I've been looking at buying/building a rear bumper with tire carrier but think i'll go this route instead. I don't like the idea of having to open a swing out tire carrier everytime I open the rear hatch. With a full size tire not being able to fit in the stock location, that allows me to put my tools and recovery gear there. There should be enough room for some camping gear above where the tire will go. And it will be much cheaper than a bumper/tire carrier which I can put towards something else.

tiretable.JPG

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I can't believe that those flairs & 4" of lift can clear 35's!!:ugh: I had to go with 6" & fenders cut beyond recognition to fit 35's on my XJ! :rolleyes:

Looks low & cool!! I want to see pics of it wheeling to confirm that it performs as good as it looks!:-\ Nice job!!:greg:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've been looking at buying/building a rear bumper with tire carrier but think i'll go this route instead. I don't like the idea of having to open a swing out tire carrier everytime I open the rear hatch. With a full size tire not being able to fit in the stock location, that allows me to put my tools and recovery gear there. There should be enough room for some camping gear above where the tire will go. And it will be much cheaper than a bumper/tire carrier which I can put towards something else.

View attachment 71330

That setup worked awesome for my XJ. That looks like HELLA more room than the XJ storage compartment as well. I had to deflate the 35" spare to get the hatch to close.

kyojin

I've got some poser shots I will post. I wanted to see how the tires stuffed before extended the bump stops. The tires fit great in the wheel wells so far. I need to trim a bit more on the rear bumper.

I can't believe that those flairs & 4" of lift can clear 35's!!:ugh: I had to go with 6" & fenders cut beyond recognition to fit 35's on my XJ! :rolleyes:

Looks low & cool!! I want to see pics of it wheeling to confirm that it performs as good as it looks!:-\ Nice job!!:greg:

kyojin

Good to hear you liked that set up. This is the way I will go to have a full size spare. Seems like there is a decent amount of room left over.
That setup worked awesome for my XJ. That looks like HELLA more room than the XJ storage compartment as well. I had to deflate the 35" spare to get the hatch to close.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I've been looking at buying/building a rear bumper with tire carrier but think i'll go this route instead. I don't like the idea of having to open a swing out tire carrier everytime I open the rear hatch. With a full size tire not being able to fit in the stock location, that allows me to put my tools and recovery gear there. There should be enough room for some camping gear above where the tire will go. And it will be much cheaper than a bumper/tire carrier which I can put towards something else.View attachment 71330
That is a good setup as long as the platform can the hold weight of your stove, pots & pans, cooking hardware, fuel tanks, coolers,& water!! All the heavy stuff that you want to keep low in the vehicle for a good LCG! Personally, I would keep the interior space & move the spare tire to the roof rack or the rear bumper!Just my .02 worth!

kyojin

Thought about the tire on a roof rack but don't want to put that much weight that high on the vehicle. Trying to keep this as low as possible. I think with some good plywood it would support a decent amount of weight. My wife doesn't really like camping so it would just be some overnight stuff. Nothing more than a day. Gotta work up from there!

That is a good setup as long as the platform can the hold weight of your stove, pots & pans, cooking hardware, fuel tanks, coolers,& water!! All the heavy stuff that you want to keep low in the vehicle for a good LCG! Personally, I would keep the interior space & move the spare tire to the roof rack or the rear bumper!Just my .02 worth!

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ

View attachment 71330

Is that how you have it set up or is the picture for reference? Here is a great WJ thread with tons of ideas http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5

kyojin

Picture is for reference. I found that on TheKSmiths website which is the one you posted. His has a slide out table which i'm not sure I would need. I think his Jeep is great and i'm planning on a lot of stuff he did. He has some great info on that site.

Is that how you have it set up or is the picture for reference? Here is a great WJ thread with tons of ideas http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5