Lakeside, Utah. winter in the desert

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
waynehartwig said:
Where is this?

The Lakeside mountains are just west of the Great Salt Lake and north of I80. You can access the area from several freeway off ramps: the Dugway/Skull Valley exit, Delle exit, or the military range exit that is after Delle. My son and I were out there a few weeks back, we went towards the magnesium plant and crossed the rail tracks just before the plant then drove on a bunch of the roads west of the plant.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
DaveB said:
The Lakeside mountains are just west of the Great Salt Lake and north of I80. You can access the area from several freeway off ramps: the Dugway/Skull Valley exit, Delle exit, or the military range exit that is after Delle. My son and I were out there a few weeks back, we went towards the magnesium plant and crossed the rail tracks just before the plant then drove on a bunch of the roads west of the plant.
Ok.. I see it now... I should have just followed the railroad tracks across the lake :rolleyes: lol

Anyone wanna go out there this weekend explorin'? I'm kinda curious as to what is out there...Not necessarily Lakeside, but the west desert.

e28bimmer

Lakeside and west desert

There is quite a bit out there.. but its not friendly and this time of the year is not the best, really, Im running 32.5 inch mudders and all I did was slide, I couldnt even turn, I could go forward and backward but only following the ruts in the road. its the silt from the bottom of the lakebed, it builds incredibly quickly and doesnt let go. Also, be aware that the RR track siding is private, 9 times out of 10 they dont bother you, but there are the occasional officers out there that will send you off the first open siding and let you fend for yourself as technically you are trespassing. In which case you better have extra fuel.
On the bright side, Lakeside is easy to get to, strait off of the Lakeside exit, follow the road, and then look for the "box elder county road" turn off. Puts you right there. BTW...if you do go out there, dont be an ass and start shooting stuff and taking things that dont belong to you, leave it as is for others to enjoy behind you.
I'd be happy to lead a group out into the west desert when it dries enough to be passable. LMK..

e28bimmer

No offense, but any way but the lakeside turn off and you are looking at one of the worst ways in, there is nothing out there but mud and flat rock. that and keep in mind that trespassing on a military installation gets you a federal felony charge now a days. IE, cross that fence at any given point, even if its a matter of life and death, national security and all that... your truck is impounded and you are arrested. Also, anywhere near the range you will be monitored, keep a radio on scan and you will occasionally hear conversations. We stopped once on the south side, right near the fence after trying to cross the mud flats, to have a drink and we were greeted by three military personal who asked us what the hell we were thinking trying to cross the flats, they appearantly had been watching us since we came of the freeway waiting for us to get far enough out to sink...
CYA. (cover your ass)

e28bimmer

BTW... dont let any of that stuff discourage you, by all means head out and check the area out. Or keep and eye peeled and I will let you know the next time I head out there...

jeepdude89

ive been out there there isnt much to do but there are some caves that my scout troop have found out there but ill tell u that there is some good bunny blastin out there but we havent found any really fun trails out there

Caleb

cool pics, I miss that place, used to live out there on Badger Island :D

Take notice to what he says about the private property, a lot of the area out there is private but there is some very cool areas to explore. Also, FWIW there is ALWAYS some out there patrolling and you can almost always bet they are watching you :spork: ;) usually if you don't seem to be causing any problems you won't ever see them unless (as said) you get near the bombing range then you bet out of the blue you will have guys up on you questioning you. :)

Also, here is a link to some of my pics from on top Carington Island (not many people ever get to explore around up there) :D link

Last edited:

Clutch

The pumps are out there are kinda of cool to see and the best out there is the Newfoundland Mt's. I believe "the caves" talked about earlier are at a ghost town site called Boston Terrece. If you go around the west side of the mountain, there is a nasty, or used to be nasty trail up to a mine. I have not explored the east side. There is some good info in 'Some Dream Die" if you continue to follow the tracks to the west you end up in Lucin, another ghost town. Or, if you go north, you run through the Hogups (sp). Great area!!

Caleb

Clutch said:
The pumps are out there are kinda of cool to see and the best out there is the Newfoundland Mt's. I believe "the caves" talked about earlier are at a ghost town site called Boston Terrece. If you go around the west side of the mountain, there is a nasty, or used to be nasty trail up to a mine. I have not explored the east side. There is some good info in 'Some Dream Die" if you continue to follow the tracks to the west you end up in Lucin, another ghost town. Or, if you go north, you run through the Hogups (sp). Great area!!
the east side is pretty cool as well, I like the west much more though. I also lived at Black Mountain for several months (up kinda by the golden spike monument), the roads up there are a huge maze and you could easily get lost, especially once yous tart to loose daylight.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Supergper said:
cool pics, I miss that place, used to live out there on Badger Island :D

Take notice to what he says about the private property, a lot of the area out there is private but there is some very cool areas to explore. Also, FWIW there is ALWAYS some out there patrolling and you can almost always bet they are watching you :spork: ;) usually if you don't seem to be causing any problems you won't ever see them unless (as said) you get near the bombing range then you bet out of the blue you will have guys up on you questioning you. :)

Also, here is a link to some of my pics from on top Carington Island (not many people ever get to explore around up there) :D link

Who is the guy with all the marks on his back and side? He didn't happen to be involved in a rollover with a Rodeo would he? Pics look familiar.

e28bimmer

Clutch, just curious what made you think that the miners basin area was associated with Boston Terrace? All of the old maps I have looked at have put it just north of the tracks, there is a little spot on the trail that turns off and there is graveyard by it, thats the info we got from the co. sheriff out there too. But its so desolate that this info could be wrong.. so Im just curious.
Thanks!!!

Clutch

From what remember...Boston Terrace was just south of the tracks, in the area of the caves. haven't been there in a while to see if the caves/holes are even there. I can't remember if BT was in the Utah Ghost Rails or Some dream die. That is where we have gotten the location from. We could have been very wrong.
I just did a quick search and it said BT was in the area of the mines on the west side. Here is the info: "The town turnoff is located at N 41.20.370 W 113.40.294 Go east from here up the mountain. This road can be tricky and requires 4WD. As the road climbs up, you will begin to see the tailings of the mines. "
Sounds like the mine we found was BT, not the cave area. hmmmm

Guess I need to research my info better. I will check my books tonight.
Jeff