Toyota Landcruiser guys - School me! LC79??

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I had a chance to pick up a 79 Series (may have been a 75?) standard cab & front clip several years ago, it didn't pan out unfortunately. I had dreams of a putting it on a 80 Series frame with a diesel engine.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
@cruiseroutfit is definitely the one to tell you all the cool stuff about that truck... The only thing I know for sure is that you cannot (yet) have one legally in the USA.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Looks like the current 79 series rig multiple special ops unit guys running around the middle east are using just with bigger tires. Usually they're equipped with a manual transmission, 6 cylinder diesel, Hutchinson beadlocks, ARB compressors, winches, uparmoured and multiple other goodies.

Even with the armour package they still scoot along better than any hmmwv can even dream of, soft skins are a blast.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The 4dr 7x Series pickup model and specifically the one everyone wants the VDJ79 didn’t see life until 2012 so it’s a ways off. Single cab 79’s are very close to importable in the US. 75 pickup are already coming in numbers, usually 1HZ or 3B powered, some petrol 3F/1FZ coming from the Middle East and South America too.

Come visit the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum here in SLC, you’ll see all these 7x Series models and much more. For example, a few of the 79’s in the collection.

4642098E-B12A-4B4A-B232-8F1755FD2767.jpeg
VDJ79

70BEC5F7-9B19-4576-95B7-E56BD612AF50.jpeg
GRJ79

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Awesome info @cruiseroutfit. Thanks for chiming in!

Just throwing this out there...
But do you think it would be possible to import VDJ79 parts?
Specifically, a double cab with doors, and a bed.

Those really are beautiful trucks. I'm not opposed to building one... maybe using an FJ80 frame / vin / title, etc..
(assuming the key truck parts can be brought in).

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Awesome info @cruiseroutfit. Thanks for chiming in!

Just throwing this out there...
But do you think it would be possible to import VDJ79 parts?
A double cab and a bed specifically...

Those really are beautiful trucks. I'm not opposed to building one... maybe using an FJ80 frame / vin / title, etc..
(assuming the key truck parts can be brought in).

Yes, this is happening quite regularly. There are a few shops in the US doing this at current and a few international joints building them to ship to the US (look up Maltec)

A few of those in the museum too. For example a single cab 79 body on an 80 chassis

28C45D65-FDB0-408A-BDA3-676834BC41FF.jpeg

or the 4dr wagon 76 body on an 80 chassis

543F9146-8FF4-455F-B902-86F7536B0201.jpeg