larger or smaller cal. to conceal?

pELYgroso

'Merica
1st post here! yesss!

sooo, I'm looking for a handgun to conceal. Not sure weather to get a larger caliber for the power behind the slug or a smaller cal. for accuracy/ smaller gun=easier to conceal. What are your thoughts?

Meat_

Banned
I own a lot of guns. My handguns range from a 6.5" barreled .44 mag, to a little tiny .22 auto.

When I actually decide to bother carrying it will be one of these.

I don't care how good your auto is, it's only as good as how clean you keep it.

A revolver will work, period. A very hot load in a .357 will put down anyone you need to put down. This gun carries 7 rounds, weighs nothing, will not rust, will not get hot/cold on your skin.

Meat_

Banned
As to your concern about accuracy, practice.

Without a ton of practice you will not be able to shoot even a .22 accurately under the pressure of a self defense situation, it needs to be second nature, muscle memory.

I can shoot a .44 more accurately than most people can shoot a .22, because I shoot a LOT (or useta did anyway).

pELYgroso

'Merica
I definitely understand that practice makes perfect but even with a good aim, emptying a .45 mag really fast can't be as accurate as emptying a .32 really fast. I could be wrong but recoil HAS to have a lot to do with accuracy, right?????

snccoulter

www.coulters-inc.com
Quality is always better than quantity
I like a 40 with a good captured spring it recoil is not as bad a as a 45 and it it a larger/slower than a 9 unfortinatually i have to carry the M9 at work.

sixb

Will work for beer!

I use to pack one of those in the 44 mag flavor when I rode the horses in the uintahs. Traded it for a 40 cal glock with lots of extras. The light weight 44 sucked to shoot espically with my hand loads. If I ever decide to carry a concelled I would opt for a small glock in the 40 cal.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I'm a believer in the old saying that goes something like "a defense gun should always be of a calliber that starts in a 4".

I.M.O., the exception is the 357.
My siblings and I recently gave one to my dad. It's similar to the pic that Meat posted.

Me personally, .45 ACP.
I LOVE my 1911

Mug

PHORmerly

My 2 cents: I don't care how good your auto is, it's only as good as how often you actually carry it!

I'm not disputing anyone here, but for yourself, if it's too big and bulky for your preference, it will stay in the safe more than on your hip. That won't do any good for anyone. That applies to how comfortable your are shooting and operating it too. If you wear shorts a lot, you can still pack around a little .22mag or .380.

CJ Matt

If I had the money I would consider buying one of the Para conceal autos. I like the small revolvers too, like the one pictured by Meat. I asked a cop what he would suggest and he said he carries a small 5 round revolver when off duty.
As far as caliber goes, get something you are comfortable shooting. Your better off with something smaller if that is what you are better with. If you can't shoot a .45 accurate but can shoot the lights out with a 9 then go with a 9.

78mitsu

I carry a springfield XD in .40 cal with a 38 hammerless revolver as a backup, also depends on what you wear. If you wear jeans and a t-shirt you can conceal a little larger sidearm. If you wear a slacks and a suitcoat, you'll need something smaller that you can pocket carry.

muleskinner

I own a lot of guns. My handguns range from a 6.5" barreled .44 mag, to a little tiny .22 auto.

When I actually decide to bother carrying it will be one of these.

A revolver will work, period. A very hot load in a .357 will put down anyone you need to put down. This gun carries 7 rounds, weighs nothing, will not rust, will not get hot/cold on your skin.

This is what I pack, but I added a laser to mine. The laser makes the gun a whole lot more accurate for me. (mine is a .38-p and only holds 5 rounds though)

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
My problem with high caliber firearms for concealed really comes down to safety.

Remember....you are responible for your bullet no matter what it goes through. Say you run into a situation like Trolley Square or something, you pull out you high caliber pistol, shoot the perp but your bullet travels through him/her and keeps going until it hits little Jimmy 200 yards away. Even tho your the hero for stopping the looney, you just killed an innocent little kid and your going to jail for a long long time.

Thats why I thought the 357 would be ideal. Its PLENTY of stopping power but not rediculas.

Bottom line is no matter what you carry, keep hollow tip rounds in it that will stop easier as soon as they hit something

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Remember....you are responible for your bullet no matter what it goes through. Say you run into a situation like Trolley Square or something, you pull out you high caliber pistol, shoot the perp but your bullet travels through him/her and keeps going until it hits little Jimmy 200 yards away. Even tho your the hero for stopping the looney, you just killed an innocent little kid and your going to jail for a long long time.

I'm pretty sure a larger caliber has the opposite effect :confused:

A 9mm round will penetrate more than a .45...

snccoulter

www.coulters-inc.com
actually it all depends on the speed of the bullet and what type of the bullet. if the round is traveling very fast it will go through if it is a FMJ. if it is a hollow point it is not as likley to penitrate same with the .45 so you would have to decide on the round you want to use. then it comes down to placement of the round. if you shoot in the chest the round coud go through and continue. if you try to place the round in the head you could miss if you if you place the round in the pelvis it will stop the individual and if it goes through it will hit the ground shortly after exiting. a big thing is when you are asked why you you shot there you shot to render the individual incapable to continuing the action that caused you to shoot. NOT TO KILL. small rounds are good for not having much penitration but then they are also good for not stoping the individual. The best thing is to be aware of your backdrop and what is behind it or even better avoid having to use your weapon in the first place.

SWALLDOG

actually it all depends on the speed of the bullet and what type of the bullet. if the round is traveling very fast it will go through if it is a FMJ. if it is a hollow point it is not as likley to penitrate same with the .45 so you would have to decide on the round you want to use. then it comes down to placement of the round. if you shoot in the chest the round coud go through and continue. if you try to place the round in the head you could miss if you if you place the round in the pelvis it will stop the individual and if it goes through it will hit the ground shortly after exiting. a big thing is when you are asked why you you shot there you shot to render the individual incapable to continuing the action that caused you to shoot. NOT TO KILL. small rounds are good for not having much penitration but then they are also good for not stoping the individual. The best thing is to be aware of your backdrop and what is behind it or even better avoid having to use your weapon in the first place.

True that! if i was never in a situation were i had to use my weapon i would be fine w that. in fact i hope that is the case.