larger or smaller cal. to conceal?

fixajet

I think it's awesome a few people here carry.
I sure feel a lot safer knowing so many people are carrying legally. :cool:

Amen to this statement. Its those that carry illegally that I worry about.

Alot has been said about what gun to carry, but you won't carry long if its uncomfortable to wear (holster)
I use the supertuck from crossbreed. http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/
Out of the four different types of holsters Ive purchased over the years, this is by far the most comfortable I have owned. Sometimes I forget Im even carrying.

Here is some good reading: http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm

Last edited:
R

rockdog

fixajet, I just got a new supertuck from crossbreedholsters. Wow!! Their website is totally right on. They are ugly, but I have to say. This the most comfortable carry holster you will ever buy. I find that I am more prone to carry all the time now. As before with my Galco, the knot feeling in my back got real uncomfortable. So a lot of times I'd leave my gun at home.
Thanks for the link to their site.:D

my4thjeep

I carry daily a Glock 23. I carry it in a custom made leather inside the waste band holster. I tried a lot of holsters before going custom.

Houndoc

One thought it that a larger caliber is more likely to travel where you don't want it to go, should you miss.

For safety of by-standers, "enough" is better than "too much". For home protection, that is one of the factors (along with accuracy) that can make a shot gun a better choice than a hand gun.

You do not know who is behind the next wall.

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
i carry a springfield XD 45 compact and i love it

Wow, I am sure I wouldn't carry my XD 45 on a daily basis as it is a huge pig gun. I have a holster and have carried it, but I really prefer my scandium framed 357 for concealing. It shoots like a Cadillac with a 38 round in it, but kicks like a pissed off mule with a hot 357 round. This is my conceal combo kit...It's a nice compromise between pain and stopping power...
smith_340pd_hiviz.jpg

hornpic92755.jpg

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
One thought it that a larger caliber is more likely to travel where you don't want it to go, should you miss.

Uh... bigger calibers can be slower than smaller, and therefore less likely to keep going. Think 5.7mm vs. .45.... and also consider bullet design...

Bart

Wow, I am sure I wouldn't carry my XD 45 on a daily basis as it is a huge pig gun. I have a holster and have carried it, but I really prefer my scandium framed 357 for concealing. It shoots like a Cadillac with a 38 round in it, but kicks like a pissed off mule with a hot 357 round. This is my conceal combo kit...It's a nice compromise between pain and stopping power...

Now that is a cute lil feller. That's more the size I'd like to carry.

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Is your 45 a compact? There is a big difference between the two. I "carry" an XD sub compact. The barrel is 3". Not really a huge pig gun.

No, not a sub-compact. It has a 4" barrel, but it just feels big and add 13 rounds in the magazine and one in the pipe it's mass almost doubles.

Houndoc

Uh... bigger calibers can be slower than smaller, and therefore less likely to keep going. Think 5.7mm vs. .45.... and also consider bullet design...

True. And I guess when I think 'bigger' I was not so much thinking caliber as over all "size", meaning power, velocity etc.

Proper bullet selection is probably far more important than anything else for defense, both for effectiveness and safety.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I recently went shooting with my father in law and some family and had the chance to shoot his Kimber super carry II (I think it's called) .45, and WOW, I was able to shoot it much more accurately than my 9mm, which I thought shot really smoothly. I thiink I'm aiming (haha) for the kimber now for my carry gun. they're 800-900 bones but if it's the difference between hitting the target in a high pressure situation and not, it's worth it.....right? :)

utah340six

speed is good but a freight train does damage.
the old saying they Fall to hard ball.
the more punch the better.
just not to much.
9mm,357,40 or 45
32 and 380 auto is for shooting flys.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'll soon be CC'ing my XD40 sub compact.

Just ordered the Supertuck holster from Crossbreed for my B-Day, and i'm stoked.. I've heard nothing but great things.

I load w/ 180gr Federal Hydrashok..