Larger version of the fold flat backpacker wood stove?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'd like to get my hands on a fold flat wood stove. There are lots of versions of real small ones available for backpackers but I'd like one a bit bigger to use as a raised fire pit. I have found a bunch of these out of the UK or AUS but they don't seem real common here in the US.

This one from Easy Burn is basically what I want. Hefty enough to be able to hold a dutch oven (not that I would) but portable enough that it will fold up flat and not take up much room in the back of my rig.

Easy Burn Flame (3).jpeg

Any idea where I could find something like this?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Is this a plug for ILean and his magic metal cutter?

I found some diy stuff here, I particularly like the simple one below. He even had sketchup plans to download (free) on the site.

QjUREzcl.jpg

jL2ZdgZl.jpg

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm sure he could/would cut the parts out for you if you had some drawings for him. I'm assuming you'd need to figure out how to link the sections together on your own but Carl is pretty crafty and clever. He might have a solution for you?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm sure I can help you with something. :) Just need what desired dimensions you want, and how you want it to interlock. (like the Easy Burn, or like that firepit, or something else...?)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Awesome. The square one is speaking to me right now. I downloaded sketchup, opened up the guys file, and although I have no idea how to use the program it seems like the pieces are arranged to be cut from a 4'x4' piece of sheet with the actual top dimensions about 2' square. I think those dimensions would be great. What gauge sheet do you think it ought to be made out of? From his pictures it looks like his pit is pretty darn thick, probably thicker than I'd prefer.

What kind of file does your burner need?

Edit: I can see the one you linked Carl. That is pretty neat.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Awesome. The square one is speaking to me right now. I downloaded sketchup, opened up the guys file, and although I have no idea how to use the program it seems like the pieces are arranged to be cut from a 4'x4' piece of sheet with the actual top dimensions about 2' square. I think those dimensions would be great. What gauge sheet do you think it ought to be made out of? From his pictures it looks like his pit is pretty darn thick, probably thicker than I'd prefer.

What kind of file does your burner need?

Edit: I can see the one you linked Carl. That is pretty neat.

Thickness depends on how heavy you want it. :D Thinner stuff will be easier to carry around, but will be more likely to warp also. So I'm not really sure. If you want it portable though, you might want to err on the side of lighter/more portable and see how it goes. So yeah....12 gauge. :)

I need to end up with a .dxf or a .svg file in the end. I can work with several other file types and convert to one of those though. What can Sketchup export?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Lighter is better I think for how I see myself using something like this. I'm thinking smaller fires for cooking tin foil dinners or warming just a few people. Definitely not raging bonfires by any means. When I was looking at the backpacker sized ones it seemed like a lot of them were being made in stainless. To make this one out of stainless would it double the material cost?

According to this help article, sketchup will export to .dxf so getting the right file type should be difficult. I installed the program on my home laptop so I'll have to figure out how to export that when I get home from work.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
jeepfire.jpg

Here's one with a bottom. One of the guys on Utah Jeep Crew made it. It doesn't appear to break down flat though.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
What is that supposed to say? I can't make any words out of it. Or is it Arabic or something?