Larger version of the fold flat backpacker wood stove?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Probably not quite what you have in mind, since there is no "floor" in this....but it's pretty cool anyway. :greg:

http://www.plasmaspider.com/download/file.php?id=29108&mode=view

http://www.plasmaspider.com/download/file.php?id=29107&mode=view

I think a CJ grill fire pit would be pretty cool to have in the backyard but I think this one I want to be more portable for camping. That design is really neat though and I'm sure you could add some taps easily to add a bottom.

I've had a pretty busy weekend and wasn't able to work on getting those files exported. I should have time a bit later tonight though.

Edit: Here is a link to the file. I'm not sure if it will share this way or if I need to attach it as a file. LINK

Last edited:

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Just some observations. A backpacker does not need an oven nor would he pack one. If you are carrying it in a vehicle for long trips, although you still do not need one, what is wrong with the old coleman oven that can go on top of a fire or coleman stove at $35 and you are set. http://www.amazon.com/COLEMAN-Porta...8&qid=1416966962&sr=1-3&keywords=coleman+oven

I may be barking up the wrong tree and all you want is a fire pit that may be required at some campgrounds and then I would not go to those campgrounds or just use a coleman stove.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Oh come on Jackjoh, the unicorn down sleeping bags, the cryogenic treated titanium crampons and fire based usb phone charger are all needed.
Funny thing is, the fire based usb charger is real, the crampons probably, but I just ate the last unicorn tonight (but intend to make a super-lite and water-repellent tent from its skin).
That said, for an oven, i'd use a dutch oven. For a fire pit, a scrap, perforated washing machine drum works well, but does not fold.

Very different world today. Would have been just make a circle with rocks, add wood and flame. Done. Maybe a grate to cook on.

I must confess though, I am an absolute tech hound myself and prone to getting a fore mentioned stuff.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I know this isn't a necessity. I'm thinking I'll be able to use this occasionally while out camping in my Jeep while also being able to use it in my back yard. It would be cool to have a built in for ring, and I certainly have the yard for it, but just don't know how much we'd use it.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
We bought a fire ring that only takes wood in September and have used it 3 times to make smores and shoot the breeze with friends. As far as backpacking goes I remember cutting the handle of a tooth brush to lower the weight and still carrying a 70 lb. pack for a 6 day trip into the Sierras. What ever you do have fun.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
In a past life I used to do a lot of camping in places where fires were allowed but there were no rings, so we packed a firepit, pretty much a metal bowl with legs. It wasn't collapsible and maybe that would make a difference, but man was that thing a PITA. Besides the space it took up, it was disgusting to clean up after - disposing of the ashes and rinsing the firepit for packing was a godawful mess.

I wouldn't carry a fire pit, even a collapsible one. When I'm in spots that ground fires aren't allowed, I use a camp stove for cooking and a lantern for sitting around, and when I'm in spots that ground fires are allowed, by god I'm having a ground fire. I think one of the pits linked upthread would be great for a back yard or other semi-permanent location, but I wouldn't carry one around.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I guess I wasn't very clear, and if you have ever met me this would be pretty apparent, I'm not the sort of guy that backpacks. I was looking at those little fire stoves as an example of what I'd like only bigger.

What got me thinking about this was a wasatch cruiser event that was last Saturday. I knew it was going to be cold and that I'd be manning a station and I thought it would be nice to build myself a little fire that was contained that I could rub my hands next to to keep a little bit warmer. I started looking around and saw some pretty neat examples of compact stoves but most of the US available units were real small. The ones being sold in the UK or Australia were bigger and more in line with what I had in mind.

I guess it is really just something I was thinking about that I could play with fire in a semi contained space and get some warmth out of it. I never entertained the idea of backpacking with it though, thats not my style. When it comes down to it this isn't for anything practical, its just because. I totally get that this explanation isn't logical in any way but I've got it sorted in my mind and really thats good enough for me.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It's Elvish.

I'm so SO very happy I didn't know that. :D

Edit: Here is a link to the file. I'm not sure if it will share this way or if I need to attach it as a file. LINK

I can get to that, and it downloads just fine--but it's not flat/square. It's like it's drawn with perspective to make it 3D looking, rather than looking straight down on the pattern, if that makes sense. The square sheet shows as a parallelogram. Not sure if that's the way it's drawn, or if it had something to do with the export? :confused:

Carl you can go ahead and cutout that CJ fire pit, I'll make sure it goes to a good home :)

Tell me the size you want and I'll get working on it. :cool: I don't actually have a file for that, but it should be straightforward enough.