Official Let's see your Backcountry 4x4!

trackhead

$2500 truck, $500 "camper". 10 gallon fresh water tank, 40w solar, two batteries. Wife sleeps on bed, I sleep on floor, child sleeps in custom bed behind seats.

Just finished the pop top today. Adding windows soon. Ghetto bungies will be replaced with something else. Sets up in about 1 minute.
2012-08-09_09-45-07_761.jpg

36"x7' bed.
2012-08-09_09-45-22_609.jpg

Last edited:

UVRUGBY

Well, I will add to the thread.
1990 yota v6 pickup.
Intake silencer removal mod
33x12.5r15 bfg A/T KO's on american racing steelies

currently in the works-
1.5" ball joint spacer
2" pro comp AAL in rear
ES9000 shocks all around.

things to come-
roll bar/spare tire mount
recovery tool box
Blazeland Long Travel front suspension
ARB Front bumper/ winch
after market sound system upgrade
4point harnesses
rhino lining of the cab floor and bed liner
safari snorkel

Sleeping accommodations-
good ol' military mummy sleeping bag with bivey cover and rollout ground mat, and pillow. :D I am still young and don't need fancy living arrangements when I am out about the country side.

IMAG0431.jpg

IMAG0432.jpg

IMAG0436.jpg

IMAG0447.jpg

Has anyone here setup a Ford Excursion for Backcountry travel? Been thinking of doing it with mine but I am a bit worried about the size and wieght of it.

I don't have a fancy rtt but my '02 eXcursion spends a bit of time in the backcountry wearing different hats. Usually towing the jeep, but sometimes rockhounding, scout campouts, occasional recreational 4x4 trips, usually getting me and family to our cabin, often on snowy roads, chained up if necessary.

I keep the usual tools, straps and stuff in the back, and camping just means throwing in a tent, bags and cooler. Very first thing I did was install V-code (F-350) front springs and rear bags with a surge tank. I have since added add-a-leaves to the front, but I'd like to find an add-a-leaf with a softer spring rate. I've run different versions of 33's and 35's.

From a size standpoint, it's about the same as your standard 3/4ton pickup, which is what we all used for wheelin' when I was a kid.

How is yours set up?

UVRUGBY

trokita, i hope that picture was taken while in northern cali. Cause last time I checked we didn't have wakes large enough to surf here in Utah xD

But, I like your thinking. I usually just sleep in the the bed. but underneath it seems like a decent place to crash as well.

TROKITA

trokita, i hope that picture was taken while in northern cali. Cause last time I checked we didn't have wakes large enough to surf here in Utah xD

But, I like your thinking. I usually just sleep in the the bed. but underneath it seems like a decent place to crash as well.
haha nope that was taken up in AF canyon :) i just put it up there for the heck of it :) i was thinking to take it down to cali just to sell it but i havent been able to go "/ but ya on my next camp out i mite sleep in the bed of the truck aswell.... i really want to get a softopper so i can throw it on and camp, but there up there$$$$$

UVRUGBY

ah nice. ya, those softoppers are to much for my blood, and plus Im not a big fan of the look. I am fine with sleeping in the elements. If anything i will get a 1 person backpacking tent that takes up no space at all. either way, im packing light, and playing heavily. :D

4biker

I've been around here a little while but haven't posted my truck yet.

Factory E-locker
SAW 2" coilovers front, OME 906 coils rear with OME shocks
255/85/16 BFG KM2's
4.88 gears
2" custom square sliders
ARB Tacoma bull bar, Warn M8000 winch
Safari Snorkel
Wet Okole front seat covers
Uniden ProXL510 CB with K30 35" magnetic antenna
Savage Offroad T-case and Transmission skids

Stuff I hope to add:
taller rear coils