Lets Talk Air

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
get yourself a portable tank.. and refills at Airgas.. you can't beat it...

oa-maxkit10yl_web.jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
you dont run a compressor?

i run a compressor off my engine... and i wish i just had the simplicity of a portable tank.. i've been very impressed with how much usage they'll put out.. we filled so many tires in the last few weeks with a think a 5 gallon? tank.. and it hasn't even dented the co2 in there.. two of those tires were my 37's and they filled up pretty quickly..

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I second the CO2... its great to be fully aired up when other people are on tire 2... or to run air tools without having to stop every 30 seconds to fill the 2 gal air tank back up... i run a 20lbs tank I have filled my 32's at least 8 times from 15 to 40 PSI a couple sets of 35's installed my Gears with it (pinion nut needed some extra help in the PSI world)... it costs me 15-20 bucks to fill up my tank.. I built my own setup for about $120... much cheaper than powertank :)...

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I second the CO2... its great to be fully aired up when other people are on tire 2... or to run air tools without having to stop every 30 seconds to fill the 2 gal air tank back up... i run a 20lbs tank I have filled my 32's at least 8 times from 15 to 40 PSI a couple sets of 35's installed my Gears with it (pinion nut needed some extra help in the PSI world)... it costs me 15-20 bucks to fill up my tank.. I built my own setup for about $120... much cheaper than powertank :)...

my air setup would be primo for air tools... if it would work have the time.. :)

i hear Airgas has a great RME discount for refills, check it out..

-Jason

DOSS

you have to get a Co2 tank... There are quite a few places to get them filled in salt lake.. I usually go to Universal Cylinder as they are convenient
I know you can get them from Mel at Universal Cylinder or Bevco....

if you go a 10 Lbs tank you can get a tank from Bevco (aluminum) for about $60 last I looked
a Adjustable regulator from Bevco (Rebuilt) for say $40...
10 Lbs fire extinguisher bracket from either Granger or fastenal $30
some fittings and a hose from Airgas... I got mine free so I have no clue...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Can't comment much on the CO2 thing.. But I have a York compressor (belt driven) and love it. CO2 tanks go empty and then your SOL. OBA runs forever without running out of air. Waiting a min or two to fill a tank is no big deal... Most of the time you are going to use it for tires anyway. CO2 setup is definately cheaper, though....

richpblaze

Ditto CO2 runs out

Can't comment much on the CO2 thing.. But I have a York compressor (belt driven) and love it. CO2 tanks go empty and then your SOL. OBA runs forever without running out of air. Waiting a min or two to fill a tank is no big deal... Most of the time you are going to use it for tires anyway. CO2 setup is definately cheaper, though....

Try getting off a trail with 5 flats (only 1 spare) with co2. Or running ar tools all night.:eek::eek:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee

i thought it'd have lost it's air far before it even showed signs of losing pressure.. we were on a 4 day trip, and we were using the saem tank a week later.. still full. it sits now, still full...

it'd be a great route to go for little headache, and little upkeep.

-Jason

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Try getting off a trail with 5 flats (only 1 spare) with co2. Or running ar tools all night.:eek::eek:

i bet there's a small percentage of folks that can say this happens to them... those people probably run D60;s under thier toyota ;) ... hillbillies

but really though, a tank has it's place.. just like anything else, it'll fit one application better than another... Rich's trash on 60's, requires lots of air to fix it over night... whereas someone else, might not wheel as hard or as much. so they could get away with a tank for filling their tires up once or twice a month with the tank...

-Jason

Last edited:

Grim

i dont know much about CO2,
if i had CO2 in my tires @ about 10psi and had to fill up with air at a gas station, will they mix?

DOSS

They will mix just fine Heck isn't atmospheric air like 60% Co2 anyhow?... I agree with the running out issue thats why I run a 20LBS tank instead of the 10Lbs everyone else seems to run.. I love it...

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
They will mix just fine Heck isn't atmospheric air like 60% Co2 anyhow?

:eek: No.

The earth's atmosphere is approximately 0.038% CO2. You haven't really been paying attention to this whole Global Warming, Climate Change, Greenhouse Gas thing, have you?