Lets Talk Air

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
:eek: No.

The earth's atmosphere is approximately 0.038% CO2. You haven't really been paying attention to this whole Global Warming, Climate Change, Greenhouse Gas thing, have you?

I was kinda trying to be funny there but thanks anyhow :p still not going to go BOOM :p

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
My personal preferences for on board air systems would be as follows:

1: Kilby. Probably the very best system on the market.

2: Junkyard parts to mimic kilby. Great system and fairly cheap, but a lot of work.

3: A quality electric powered system. I went with the Viair 550C due to it's price, flow, and continous service rating.

4: Powertank / Co2 Systems. I personally didn't like the having to refill idea, and I didn't want a tank cluttering up the limited interior space on my Jeep.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
My personal preferences for on board air systems would be as follows:

1: Kilby. Probably the very best system on the market.

2: Junkyard parts to mimic kilby. Great system and fairly cheap, but a lot of work.

3: A quality electric powered system. I went with the Viair 550C due to it's price, flow, and continous service rating.

4: Powertank / Co2 Systems. I personally didn't like the having to refill idea, and I didn't want a tank cluttering up the limited interior space on my Jeep.

Don't forget Warn's Powerhouse - it's a winch and OBA solution all in one. The numbers are also very good and comparitve to a Kilby York. :eek:

There's also the Oasis. Which is a York and a winch motor combined. Puts out a LOT more air than any OBA ever thought of. I believe they are like 20cfm, but the duty cycle is lower. The longer you run it, the faster it will wear out. Heat kills.... But it wouldn't get hot with airing up tires, unless you were doing 100 rigs... It'l also run air tools without a tank.:cool:

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
i thought it'd have lost it's air far before it even showed signs of losing pressure.. we were on a 4 day trip, and we were using the saem tank a week later.. still full. it sits now, still full...

it'd be a great route to go for little headache, and little upkeep.

-Jason

It is not still full. Because it is stored as a liquid in the tank you can not tell from the guage when it is going to run out. The pressure reading will stay the same untill the liquid is gone and the remaining gas will go in a hurry. This is one of the disadvantages of CO2.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
It is not still full. Because it is stored as a liquid in the tank you can not tell from the guage when it is going to run out. The pressure reading will stay the same untill the liquid is gone and the remaining gas will go in a hurry. This is one of the disadvantages of CO2.

That's true.. Never even thought of that!! My dad likes to use CO2 to weld with and it runs out so fast, that it makes you want to check the guages.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
For someone who wants an electric setup, HERE'S a great option. For $189 you get a kickass 12v compressor, a tank, pressure regulator, gauge, and pressure switch. It's all assembled into one unit, but could be split up if you wanted to hard-mount stuff.

There are several people using these for OBA stuff, and I've heard nothing but great reviews.

That said, an engine-driven compressor is my favorite choice. I've had a Kilby setup before, and it worked flawlessly. I know the Warn Powerplant is a good unit, but I'm not a fan due to the price and sheer size. It's a huge chunk of winch on the front of a rig.

richpblaze

I run a 5 gal tank

I second the CO2... its great to be fully aired up when other people are on tire 2... or to run air tools without having to stop every 30 seconds to fill the 2 gal air tank back up... i run a 20lbs tank I have filled my 32's at least 8 times from 15 to 40 PSI a couple sets of 35's installed my Gears with it (pinion nut needed some extra help in the PSI world)... it costs me 15-20 bucks to fill up my tank.. I built my own setup for about $120... much cheaper than powertank :)...

I rarely have to wait for it to catch up. To refill $00.00 I will never spend as much on my york setup as you will with CO2. I am into my iar setup about $250.00

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
when you talk about a york, do you run a air tank with that?

I don't (I have one, but it's not installed yet). But if I did it would improve. Impact works good but die grinders are kinda slow. If I raise my engine RPM's to about 1500 rpm's, then the die grinder is fast, like in the shop.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
CO2 for me... though I have an ARB compressor that I use for primarily for the Air Lockers. Both are rigged to function as the other, redundant system. The York is sweet, but I'm honestly yet to run across a need for that much air. Air tools? Well, I've carried them in the past for use with my CO2, never needed them. There isn't a single bolt on my Cruiser that won't come off by hand? Mabey my crank pully but if I'm pulling it off on the trail there are bigger issues. :D

Some of the cheap 12V compressors are really impressive, Carl mentioned the Puma, I too have heard some great reviews. The new ARB compressor has double the CFMs of their older unit, and thereis rumor of a larger compressor from them in the future.

The portability of the CO2 has been a proving factor for me... I've hauled mine back up the trail to a stranded rig, or in the house to blow out the DVD player, or filled tubes with it when floating a river... All things a York isn't so handy at. I've never run out of CO2, afterall its really easy IMO to check your level (before you head out on the trail). Weigh it... the tare/full weight is marked on all my tanks, so I know exactly how much I have. I have 3 different tanks, so one is usuall full enough to use :D