Lift recommendations

P

pokeyYJ

OK TJ guys, I am looking for you opinions on lifts. I want to get something in the 4" range and I would like it to be high quality. I would like to hear your experiences with street ride and off road ride. I would also like to hear what you guys think of long arms, are they worth the extra dough? Should I start with a standard arm length and upgrade later if I want, or should I just start with a long arm kit.

The kits that I am most interested in are the RE 4.5, the Tera 4", and the Currie 4". Any other recommendations? The lift will be going on a 03 Rubicon, and I know that the transfercase skid is farther back than a regular TJ, and so a lot of companies don't have a long arm kit for it yet.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Sucka should be here in 5... 4... 3... 2... ;)

This is a really good question. I'm interested to hear from the guys who are currently running some of these kits on their own rigs and what they think about 'em. I of course have my opinions, but don't own a TJ or drive one regularly.

Last edited:

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Ok, I wasn't going to comment since I don't have any of the listed lifts. However, I do have a lift, and I can give you some thoughts on it and what I would do differently.

Mine's a '97 TJ.

I went cheap on my lift kit. the Pro Comp 4" stage 1. Overall it hasn't been a bad kit, I've been able to run all the trails I've tried for, and it is plenty flexy. I don't regret buying it too much, but I've learned a lot since March, and If I was doing it now, I'd be going for something like the RE 5.5" extreme duty.

Here's what I don't like about it:
1. You better be watching those control arm bolts. They like to loosen up.
2. Pinion angle - the control arms aren't adjustable, so when I went to put the high clearance skid plate, I needed more pinion angle, but couldn't get it. Had to leave in a T-case lowering kit.
3. Noisy - lots of squeaking by the poly control arm bushings
4. Harsh on-road ride. Might be improved by better shocks. I have the pro-comp ES3000 (or ES300... anyway, it is the '3' series shock). I don't have to drive it every day, so It really doesn't bother me too much.
5. Forget about going any bigger than 33" tires with this kit. As it is, I had to put a 1" body lift to comfortably clear the 33s

so, that's my comments. If you have the money, go for the RE kit. If they make a long arm kit, go for that.

Did you sell your YJ? or are you asking on someone else's behalf?

sukaB

Banned
Damit....I'm late....
it's easy
good spring rate that won't break your neck Currie,tera or rubi
are pretty close.
Long arms that adjust are a must....
I manufacture my own over here especially for the TJ.
lift amount will cause the use of other products, IE short shaft, belly pan, body lift etc.
For good quality and great kit you have to pay more for go Currie
I'll do the rest of the tuning...
Tera kit is cheaper and works close if I use my other parts in conjunction with there products your jeep will maximize flex,street ride and look very nice..
My specialty....
I have all sorts of Tj's over here with my arms and different lift kits components that are setup to work the best all around and you are more than happy to drive any of these and fell them offroad as well....
Maybe someday I'll get my own awesome kit together in one package...Until then were stuck....

T

Toby

sukaB,

This is for me (i'm Pokey's Dad). I'm finally gettin' my Rubicon (which I ordered in May). Pokey and I have been lookin into lotsa lifts. I've liked the Tera's, but after hearing some less than good things about their control arms and having a friend experience a problem with their control arms, I am leaning away from one of their lifts. Currie sounds good, but a but expensive. Which leaves me with the RE. If I go with the RE 4.5" Super-Flex, then I can later upgrade to the long-arm kit (at least it appears that way).

How does this all sound to you? Can you get the REs and how fast and what price? How much to install? And anything else you can think of ...?

Thanks in advance.

Toby

sukaB

Banned
Toby,
I uderstand completely about the control arm issue your worried about..
I worked at tera for five years and held almost every job title possible....
If you would like to come over and check out some of these TJ's over here I have built your more than welcome to.
Even better would be to talk to some of my customers and ask them question's that you might be worried about.
I'll let you drive them and we can take them wheelin as well.
The arms i build are completely different than the tera arms and mine won't ever have any probs even if you compete on them like I do and many others.
I will look into getting some prices for you on some rubi stuff.
Feel free to call me at 541-1402 if your interested.

Moon

I have the rubicon with the tera flex 4in and they left the factory arms on it looks like. But I had the dealer do it and that is the only way to go. there may be advantages to the long arms but if it voids the warraty its not worth it. talk to the dealer. I love my lift and the sway disconect are the best ones i've ever seen before. It goes anywere you point it.

sukaB

Banned
Sorry can't help myself mudside...
If you have disconnects on your TJ than it has been shenageled..
welcome to the new world of you being screwed over....
THEY DON"T WORK...unless you cruise state street and jump curbs at the old 7elev
I used to work and build these kits, your being taught by phone or paper..
Plumber's that started company's that don't have any idea of what's going on.....that's why they don't last.
dealers are franchises of jeep parts manufacturer's that give each other money to talk each other up and sell each other parts...it don't last.....
Nice to meet you....:rolleyes: :D :p

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Stupid question maybe, why lift a Rbicon jeep it comes with a 4" RE lift? Why not purchase a mostly stock TJ and do your work on it or maybe a sprot version. I know you can get a TJ with a d44 special order, not sure how it works with a rubicon but Im thinking 25 to 30 grand on a TJ is alot. Then take the lift off and re lift it ?

Im lost on this one.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by LiltraxUtah
Stupid question maybe, why lift a Rbicon jeep it comes with a 4" RE lift? Why not purchase a mostly stock TJ and do your work on it or maybe a sprot version. I know you can get a TJ with a d44 special order, not sure how it works with a rubicon but Im thinking 25 to 30 grand on a TJ is alot. Then take the lift off and re lift it ?

Im lost on this one.

Not sure I understand all of your questions, but, here are replies to what I think I understand

1. The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon does not come factory with a lift. Maybe I misunderstand your statement, but it comes with the 31" MT/R, and more or less same height as the other wranglers.

2. If you buy a used TJ sport for in the neighborhood of $10K (ok, give or take, some of you might find better deals than others), You could probably build the equivilent of a Rubicon for less money. Make sure you Realize what the Rubicon really is....
D44 F&R, 4.10 gears, the Jeep factory air lockers that are limited slip when not locked, Disc brakes all around
A completely different T-case (not the NP231). This comes factory with 4:1 low range and SYE kit.
There are a few other factory equipped options, but I think these are the biggies.
You can get equiv parts to put under a non-rubi TJ, and finding the D44 on an older TJ isn't impossible.

All this said, if I was buying a brand new wrangler, I would have no choice but to buy the Rubicon. A well equipped Sport model comes in somewhere between $22K and $24K (again, give or take). The rubi comes in around $26K.

IF you were buying a new wrangler, the extra $4K (or so) is worth it for the rubicon. Regardless of whether you buy a new Sport or Rubicon, you're still going to shell out the dough to put a lift and new tires on it.

sukaB

Banned
The Rubicon's are way cool from the factory but are still going to need work if your interested in doing trails like upper hells and such...
If your running poison spider and hells revenge then leave it and run the thing......
Yah they barely clear 31's and still the TJ is way restricted..

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
I was under the impression that it came with a 4" lift, I am glad I got edumacated on this :)

sukaB

Banned
It's funny that trucks can have big ole lifts but chrysler will never go that high on a tj.....
I'm actually surprised they out fitted it with 31's

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by sukaB
It's funny that trucks can have big ole lifts but chrysler will never go that high on a tj.....
I'm actually surprised they out fitted it with 31's

really though, how much difference in track width between your dodge (or a new equiv) and a wrangler? Not to mention the perception by the non-wheeling public of small 4x4/SUV type vehicles and their propensity to roll.

Moon

Originally posted by sukaB
Sorry can't help myself mudside...
If you have disconnects on your TJ than it has been shenageled..
welcome to the new world of you being screwed over....
THEY DON"T WORK...unless you cruise state street and jump curbs at the old 7elev
I used to work and build these kits, your being taught by phone or paper..
Plumber's that started company's that don't have any idea of what's going on.....that's why they don't last.
dealers are franchises of jeep parts manufacturer's that give each other money to talk each other up and sell each other parts...it don't last.....
Nice to meet you....:rolleyes: :D :p

mmm.. I can smell bitterness. Have no idea what your talking about when you said jumping curbs at seven eleven that totally has nothing to do with sway bars or disconnects if they last or not it is warranted. If the sway bar is connected it flexes less if it is disconnected it flexes more. whether you built them or not you have never use them, right:) I'm sorry that you have tasted bitterness of being pissed on buy who ever, but you wont be able to rain on this rubicon paraide.:eek: :eek: :p

sukaB

Banned
Yah never used them....Don't understand them either...???
They keep your jeep from rolling if your jumping it and if their off they allow it to flexy more right?
My TJ works so well without it on...........
Oh I've seen people pay way to much and buy the wrong things before..... but have I ever......
:eek: :confused:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Mudsidesjeep, you'll have to excuse Suka, he doesn't actually own any Jeeps, he just comes on this board making up outlandish stories and the like, you have to understand, he lives in a small apartment with his grandma, and she pays the rent with her social sec., Suka just sit's at the computer all day long. HE he he. (was that outlandish, Suka?):D :D He does own a very cool Jungle Gym, though. It's black.;)

Moon

Jeremy your awsome:cool: I do see what suka is saying now. I've just never related sway bars to jumping. Just thought it eliminated the row boat effect on the freeway whitch it dose. On the other hand my '88 grand wagoneer with about 9" of lift has sway disconects and I mostly leave them disconnected because it is a pain to connect, disconnect and dosen't make that big of a differance. Yes they were expensive and no it wasn't worth it "yet" (the springs havn't broke in yet) But the TJ get tossed around on the freeway bad with out them. The design is totaly diffrent on the new set and they have been worth it.:cool: :) :D