LJ 5.3 swap in 2.5 days

eatrocks

Some may have seen me post I was selling the I6 out of my 2005 LJ. Did not sell it yet but its out off the LJ. In its place is a 5.3 preped by Novak useing the Novak parts to mate the 5.3 to the stock 6 speed, useing the bolt in engine mounts, as well as the rad and cooling fan. Yes there are some growing pains. yes the front drive shaft is gone, it goes back in with the t case shifter later this week. But the jeep is on the road and 99% there and working. all the trim is on. all the gages save one are working. Total hours about 50 tp 55. More to come on this

Grim

i love my LJ. will the stock 6speed hold up to the 5.3? what kind of H.P. do you think it will be pushing ?

eatrocks

NSG370 six-speed is rated at about 290 lbs in put, the 5.3 is about 300 to 325 lbs out put. Since the trany is most likely rated at about 80% of its true input and the engine is rated at 325 before PS AC and such. every thing should like fine. No it wont take burn outs but then nor will the stock dana 44/3.73 with 33s take that for long. If need more look here http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nsg370.htm

Grim

NSG370 six-speed is rated at about 290 lbs in put, the 5.3 is about 300 to 325 lbs out put. Since the trany is most likely rated at about 80% of its true input and the engine is rated at 325 before PS AC and such. every thing should like fine. No it wont take burn outs but then nor will the stock dana 44/3.73 with 33s take that for long. If need more look here http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nsg370.htm

thank for the good info .

BenHanksRacing1

BenHanksRacing.com
Some may have seen me post I was selling the I6 out of my 2005 LJ. Did not sell it yet but its out off the LJ. In its place is a 5.3 preped by Novak useing the Novak parts to mate the 5.3 to the stock 6 speed, useing the bolt in engine mounts, as well as the rad and cooling fan. Yes there are some growing pains. yes the front drive shaft is gone, it goes back in with the t case shifter later this week. But the jeep is on the road and 99% there and working. all the trim is on. all the gages save one are working. Total hours about 50 tp 55. More to come on this

2.5 days well I have seen that (befeer) but was it done right? Lets see some pics then some of it done, If so good job!

jpndave

Hope you are ok with me putting up a few teaser pictures Ken. Great Job on this! I can't wait to see it and go for a ride! This is mid project but shows the engine in place. You have done an incredible job with this!
jeepswap3rdday023.jpg
jeepswap3rdday024.jpg

Last edited:

eatrocks

the Stock A/C pump is in place and the frame is notched. That pump will be used for OBA there will be a 2nd one for the A/C. The full swap from the start to finnish is going up on Novak and Fat Bobs Garage. The swap was done at FBG with input from Novak. I drove the jeep in the shop at about 1pm on thusday and drove it home saterday about 6 or PM. its missing the VSS (we forgot it) the front drive shaft (was not done) and t case shifter.

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
My boss and his son just finished up putting a 5.3 and 4l60 in there TJ's they run sweet. That engine performs the best in combination with the auto. IMO. Sweet conversions.

jpndave

I had the opportunity to drive Ken's LJ and WOW!!!! It is going to be a lot of fun! We weren't able to give it much more than 1/2 throttle as it is quite a handful. Super controllable and would really lug well at low rpm. But, when you want or needed it the power was there in abundance. Great Job Ken! Here is another photo of the engine bay.
DSC_4796.jpg

rholbrook

So you had mentioned that you had most of the gauges working. Are these the stock gauges or did you rig something else up? The thought of not using factory gauges has turned me off on a GM implant.

eatrocks

waiting on a nicer steam port tee. and a nicer recovery tank. there is also some extra wiring for emisions that needs to be ran that right now is coiled under the hood on top of the intake.

eatrocks

So you had mentioned that you had most of the gauges working. Are these the stock gauges or did you rig something else up? The thought of not using factory gauges has turned me off on a GM implant.

Yes the stock gages all thats not working right is that Tack. Working on that. By keeping the stock cluster you keep all the other things that tie in to it working, radio, cruse contral, pules wipers, air bags, rear window defoger, Plus you dont have to go buy 6 gages wire them up and all that crap!

Bart

Looks like a pretty nice install. I hope you have better luck with the Novak radiator than some others that I know have. Can't wait to drop a 5.3 in the YJ.