LJ 5.3 swap in 2.5 days

jpndave

Sorry guys, I did mean 210 degrees. Running factory thermostat. Whats kind of odd though is that it runs cooler at low rpms like around town and in 4 lo. 210 reading is at 70 mph on the freeway @ 100 degrees outside temp. Not that I'm complaining

Often a higher temperature at highway speeds has to do with air routing and baffling. If things aren't baffeled to force the air through the radiator and not around or recirculating, it will heat up at higher speeds when the air from speed will overpower the fan.

I hope that makes sense.

If it will cool at lower speeds, your fan, radiator and thermostat are all good.

larrybenny

larrybenny
Thanks jpndave, I figured as much, since the old style warn winch is in front of the grill. It came with the jeep and still works as good or better than much newer types, so I am hesitant to take it off.

jpndave

You may not need to remove the winch. I would make sure that the baffling is all tight before resorting to that. Just keep in mind the air needs to be directed and needs to have a way in, be forced through the radiator and then a way out.

Those old Warn winches are pretty stout! A newer, low profile version will definately block less of the air moving through the radiator though.