Locker choices

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by voodoo

Von, do you mean put spools front and rear or just the rear?:confused:

Good question... At one time, I would turn my front e-locker off so I could turn easier while in 4WD and off-road. After installing hydro assist, it doesn't matter whether the locker is engaged or not. My steering is not affected by it.

So, if ya got a rig that is primarily for off-road and you don't anticipate having to drive on snowpacked or icy roads in 4WD at high speeds, then a spool would work well up front. Like I said before, hydro assist would be the way to go if running the spool up front. (NOTE: whatever locker you run, make sure that you have the "Longfield" birfield joints)

As for running spools in the rear, you have probably seen many threads on the subject. In my opinion, if it's your daily driver or you do alot of city type driving, the constant barking of the tires and increased tread wear may not be for you. Although my truck is not my main vehicle, I do drive it on the road quite a bit and I don't mind at all, but thats me...

voodoo

I have the twin stick in the transfer case so I can unlock the front end with it to turn easier also. Do you think a spool would be a better option in this case?
I may drive it on the road occasionally but not often.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by voodoo
I have the twin stick in the transfer case so I can unlock the front end with it to turn easier also. Do you think a spool would be a better option in this case?
I may drive it on the road occasionally but not often.

I think a spool would be an excellent option, but of course that is up to you. The twin stick is kinda cool, but definitely not a substitute for hydro assist.

troutbum

cubi-kill
Am I wrong in thinking the twin stick mojo won't do you any good?

as long as your hubs are locked you are going to have a prob steering, regardless if under power from the t/c...did I miss something?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by troutbum

as long as your hubs are locked you are going to have a prob steering, regardless if under power from the t/c...did I miss something?

I've driven a CJ with lock-rites (granted they are lock-rites) and a twin stick......you CAN'T turn without taking the front out (OK, you can, but it doesn't have the aforementioned hydro.......)......when you shift the front axle out, it turns pretty good. The spool may or may not be the same (I'd bet it's similar, but maybe the lock-rites work like they are advertised--only lock when there is 'torque applied').

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
I don't know how the new Eaton E-Locker compares to the Detroit E-Locker... I just know that it is an option in both the new H2's and the Nissan XTerra's. They are out right now for the really big axles especially on Chevy and Fords, the Dana models are coming out around this Christmas, and I'm not sure if Toyota is out yet.

My cousin is in charge of releasing the E-Locker internationally and I've seen some videos of the E-locker on how it is built and everything, they compared it to an ARB, and the ARB is extremely weak in how they compared. When the ARB is activated It only has 2 rods clamping the 2 pieces together, thus locking it.

The E-Locker has 8 rods clamping together, thus making it 4 times stronger....

If you're up for the wait, I'd suggest getting that, but I'm not sure how it compares to Detroits model.

Thats just my $0.02. Good luck!

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by troutbum

Nope, didn't miss a thing. My last post was a quick one and I didn't bother tackling the whole twin stick issue.

voodoo

I have thought about getting the hydro assist and will probably do it eventually. As for the twin stick I know it doesn't make it steer any easier really than before but it take some of the pressure off the front end by not having any power from the transfer case there while turning to cause anything to be put under major stress.

BryansToy

Toy Beater
Cheapest for Daily driver?

So would the lockrite be the cheapest for a Daily driver? Any run the Aussie? How does the housing from an IFS compare to Solid Axle front or Rear are the lockers able to switch? Thanks

utahxj

"Quit job & go wheel'n"
I have a Lock-rite in front and a Detroit in the rear. That set up has worked fine for me, however I would have gone with an ARB or an Electric locker if I had the ability at the time.

voodoo

I thought since this thread has been dug up I would update, I have since gone with spools front and rear with 5.29's and haven't had any trouble with them yet.

J Kimmel

FWIW, I've run 4.88's/detroits F&R for 5+ years and couldn't be happier with their performance...until I installed Bobby Long Birfields.
I've run the Longs for a little over a year now, and I've had no breakage at all, I've run Upper Helldorado twice, Pritchett, Independence, all the Montrose trails smoothly. On the new Carnage Gulch trail in Buena Vista, CO I finally snapped a short side inner axle shaft...It also took 5 teeth off of my ring gear, and destroyed on of the side gears inside my detroit locker.
The birfields are still in great shape!
I'm now lincoln locking an open carrier to put in my frontend and I'm adding ram assist as well.
We'll see how that holds up, I'd imagine better than the detroit.

I wouldn't recommend anyone using a detroit locker front with longfields :eek:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
J Kimmel said:
I wouldn't recommend anyone using a detroit locker front with longfields :eek:

That sucks for you! Lots of $$$, down the drain all in one shot! I'll stick with my Pop-Right in the front. ;)

What size tires & crawl ratio are you running? Were you on the throttle hard when everything let go?

J Kimmel

very dissapointing really, just a medium sized "pop," thats it. I'm running 37" MTR's, 200:1 or so gearing. I was hung on my belly, not really wedged at all. I wasn't really on the throttle too much. I'm usually pretty light on the gas. I've hit it A LOT harder than that before, just a fluky type of thing I guess, but you're right, it was very expensive...
I'm thinking by the time I'm done with ram assist, new gears, lincoln locker, I'll be in it about $620 or so, and thats the CHEAP way to fix it :rolleyes: