LoMAX vs. TeraLow

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
I'd had been planning on getting the TeraLow, but looking at the LoMAX stuff they look pretty sweet.

LoMAX link

Anybody run one?

This says a lot to me,
row1-1.jpg

willies45

willies45
I have ran the Low max for the last 3 years and they have done great. I went with the Low Max because of how they were machined and the cost in that they are less than the Tera. If you have any questions give Low max a call and find out how they tested the gear strength and what all they have put the gears through. This is in a 300 also. I am running a 302 to a c-6 and 456gears and 36 in. tires.

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
One question I had is with the bigger teeth, don't you lose strength because you have more load on each tooth? Like a 35 spline 60 is stronger than a 30 spline.

Caleb

alright, a 30 spline 14 bolt shaft and a 35 spline D60 shaft...the 35 spline should be stronger I would think...

back to the gears, I would go for the LoMax anyday...I know when they first came out they were a one piece design where the Tera was a twopiece that was pressed together, don't know if that has changed on the Tera's or not. Also, I believe the LoMax is made of a stronger material. I have heard great things about the LoMax, can't say the same for the Tera's. If it were me there would be no question, Lomax ;)

CRAZYCJ8

Back to the teeth, splines and gears are apples and oranges, size of the tooth is a factor as well as tooth contact, and thickness. The bigger the size and contact plays a huge role in strength, this is why a ford nine inch ring & pinion is stronger then a dana 60. same principle applies to tera and low max comparision

better explained with this link

http://performanceunlimited.com/illustrations/gears.html

hooptycj

I don't know if it will persuade your decision or not, but "porc" over on pirate will sell a tera for 469$ shipped to your door. I was planning on going the low max set but a 469$ the tera is looking starting to look more appealing.

sbr

I would definatley go with the jb conversions lomax over the terra low anyday even for the extra 150.00 dollars .

fergusor

sbr said:
I would definatley go with the jb conversions lomax over the terra low anyday even for the extra 150.00 dollars .

X2.... I know with me the extra 150 worth it for a better quality part, but I think the output shafts would fail be for the gears go. I think over all total package lomax would be what I would run in my buggie.

the other part is what and how hard do you wheel. Personaly I think most people here dont wheel hard enough to break ether one.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
The previous owner of my CJ put in the terra low 4:1 in the D300. So far I have not had any problems with it. If I were going to do it all over I would go with the JB stuff. I doubt you would ever break any of the units so if you get a good deal on the terra stuff grab it (anyting is better than stock).