Look what followed me home

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
A 1975 Honda TL125 old school trials bike.

I've been wanting to get an old school bike, but not one this small but I jumped on it anyways.:sick:

I'm really nervouse since it's been sitting in the PO's garage for a year or two, but with all the gas drained from it. I popped the bowl off of the carb, and it look brand new it might actually have a new carb. It does have some dust like rust in the tank. I know it's way to small for me ( 6'2" 300 LBS), but it will be fun to putt putt around on with the kids.
SLED001.jpgSLED002.jpg

Last edited:

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Thanks everyone. I'm excited to get the rust out of the tank, and see if it will fire up. I've seen some diffrent ways to get the rust out, like the Kreem tank cleaner & liner kit. I've also seen something called Rust Rescue. Just want something cheap that will get the job done.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Growing up we used to put rocks/gravel in our "big red" gas tanks and slosh them around with water to bust loose all the crud and it actually worked pretty good. I've seen a lot of tank repairs make problems worse if it isn't done right....

You could try running one of those large see through fuel filters from wal-mart until things clear out.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Growing up we used to put rocks/gravel in our "big red" gas tanks and slosh them around with water to bust loose all the crud and it actually worked pretty good. I've seen a lot of tank repairs make problems worse if it isn't done right....

You could try running one of those large see through fuel filters from wal-mart until things clear out.

I've heard the old school way was to fill your tank half full with water then a bunch of fine sand, and shake it.

I don't think it will take much to get the rust out, It's just like dust. I'm thinking about just putting a gallon of gas in it, and shake it and see what that does then get a fuel filter for it.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Last night I got some BB's, and put them in the tank and filled it half full with water. After shaking it around for a while. I dumped it out in a strainer in a bucket to save the BB's. It really worked pretty well. I only had time to do it one more time, and more rust colored water came out. So I figure if I do that a couple more times I should be good to go with a inline filter.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Got it started Saturday. Put some CLR in the tank, and let it sit over night. It completely took all the rust out of the tank. Hooked everything up , and 4-5 kicks later it started up. Adjusted the carp, and it was good to go.
Started to take it for a ride around the block, but the clutch was messed if I held in the clutch it would move if I let the clutch out it stop's just like if you pulled in the clutch. After looking at things the PO must have losened all the cables before storing it. Adjusted everything up, and the clutch works the right way now.

I for sure need to get some rear shocks, but from what I see online there alot of $$$$. Also thinking about getting new tires as well, the ones on there now are a little dry rotted.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Took the bike out Monday for a quick ride around the foothills. The bike ran great, it's a blast to ride. But i'm tempted to sell it to get something bigger already. Just hate to spend money on it if it's not what you really want you know. I'll probably tinker with it for a while, and do some of the small stuff.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Been having a blast driving this to work, and crusing the neighborhood. Haven't really been on any trails yet.

Also I new just as I got this to mess around on, bikes I really want would show up on KSL.