Looking for a fair CB antenna need help

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have Firestick that I don't need. I'm pretty sure it's a four footer. Tunable and in great shape. Yours if you want it. Feel free to donate to my Hawaii trip next week. :cool:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I am looking for an antenna as well, but I don't have a mount so I am open to suggestions on what to get. I Have a Uniden pro520xl if that matters any. I don't really know much at all about cb's

I'd be interested in that firestick if its up for grabs : P (if it would be suitable for my application)

TROKITA

I am looking for an antenna as well, but I don't have a mount so I am open to suggestions on what to get. I Have a Uniden pro520xl if that matters any. I don't really know much at all about cb's
i heard there good for the trails, yours is a little better then mine, and i heard that midland is a good radio for the price, Lowrange only sells the one i have and the one you have and a cobra, but the cobra is really expensive comparing to yours and mine, i think its good

TROKITA

What is the idea of tuning or modding them? Is it necessary to tune when installing one?
Tuning it is like balancing a car or getting an alignment, because of the antenna, there are so many too choose from, every one of them are different so you have to tune it to your cb in order too work perfect with the cb. it will still work but if you tune it, it will work better and your signal will sound alot clear,

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
your all the way in west valley :(

Well you can't have it all, I guess.

I havent found tuning to be a huge deal, for trail use. Most of the time you are only trying to talk to the guys right around you, not miles away, which doesnt work well in a canyon style trail anyways. Just like that alignment or tire balancing doesn't do you much good on the trail either.

TROKITA

Well you can't have it all, I guess.

I havent found tuning to be a huge deal, for trail use. Most of the time you are only trying to talk to the guys right around you, not miles away, which doesnt work well in a canyon style trail anyways. Just like that alignment or tire balancing doesn't do you much good on the trail either.
haha true where in west val are you like where close by ???

sixstringsteve

Very necessary.
Without, you may get lucky or you may fry the output transistors of the radio

x2. you don't tune it just for "clarity" or "reach." You tune it to ensure you don't fry your radio. Back before I knew better, I fried a CB from not tuning an antenna. If you're keying the mic, make sure its tuned. Its not hard to tune at all.

I've run 6 different antennas in the past. I'll never own a fiberglass one again. For a noob who just wants to plug and play, a lil wil magnet mount is your beat bet once you tune it.

Trokita, in order for your swr readings to be low, you're going to have to make sure your bed, bed rack, and mount are all grounded. That means no paint between mounting surfaces. Test continuity with your multimeter.

With a magnet mount, you throw it on and it's grounded. Tune it and you're done. Plus they're whip antennas which last a lot longer. Also keep in mind how much of your antenna is sticking up above your truck. You may have a sweet antenna that mounts on the back of your bed, but if it doesn't stick higher than the truck, you'll have limited range. Center of the roof is one of the best spots to mount one, followed by the center of your hood.

Last edited: