LT's Wild RamCharger

LT is new to the board, He just joined up. He is from my hometown of Los Alamos NM and we both wheel up here in Utah alot. He is a wild guy. He has been into wheeling along time. He has owned several built to the hilt CHevys, and a few Dodges. Right now he has a 87 Dodge Ramcharger which he calls his beater. The motor is a 360 bored over 0.3. He got real happy with the Sawsall and cut tons of the body off, including the roof, and front and fenders. He has a roll cage that is under fab right now. He now has a dana 60 going in for the front and a Corp 14 for the rear. He has Hydr. steering and a bunch of other stuff. He has new tires, 42 Irocs and beadlock rims.

I let him tell you about it. Here are his pictures:

Attachments

• post-458-1192815070_thumb.jpg
    post-458-1192815070_thumb.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 185
  • post-2784-1200531333_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531333_thumb.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 57
  • post-2784-1200531413_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531413_thumb.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 55
  • post-2784-1200531439_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531439_thumb.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 54
  • post-2784-1200531476_thumb.jpg
    post-2784-1200531476_thumb.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I swear, there can't be anyone who has worse luck than me. I tried to do some more testing on the truck and wouldn't you know it, the front drive shaft falls right out of the truck. One of these days I am going to catch a break, one of these days.

LT.

:eek: Sorry to hear man.

LT.

Yep, the bolts at the t-case yoke just fell out. No damage as I was slowing down to jump out and lock in the hubs. The drive line fell against the lower link and just sat there. It never even hit the dirt. I am still working the air out of the steering lines. Nothing major there just need to spend some time making sure the pump is full. So, I just ended up leaving the truck at the trail head and jumping in with my old boss. We ran the trail and had a good time, later he just drove me back to the Beater and I drove it home.

LT.

LT.

Okay, today I drove the Gauje/Rendija loop here in my home town. Nothing real crazy but really tight and very rutted. See, a number of years ago we had a terrible fire that tore through town and destroyed some 400 homes. The fire started out as a controlled burn in the Jemez mountains. After the fire we had our rainy season and that is why the area is so rutted. It took me about an hour from the time I left my house till I was back home. I now have some sort of problem in my front drive line.:mad: It should be all brand new and I think my CV joint is where I am hearing my problems come from. Also, while on the trail I found out that some of my jam nuts were working loose. But, I made it safe and sound and had some fun while I was at it.

LT.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Most of the parts will be swapped over to the buggy. I will be selling a new rebuilt TF 727. Just keep in mind the problems I was having with it. Honestly, even though it is rebuilt, again, it is not worth much money, sorry to say. In all reality the tranny is worth more money at the scrap yard than to a potential buyer. I maybe thinking about selling the doubler set up that I have. Not sure yet if I want to keep it or not. I first built it thinking I was going to need a longer front drive shaft. After I pushed the front axle forward I could have gotten along with out it. Don't get me wrong, I love having the doubler but, I may want to run a 4 speed Atlas for the buggy. Not sure yet. If you are interested in the doubler let me know by PM.

LT.
Sell it to a muscle car guy. Those trannies are some of the best on the street. I should know I have had 11 vehicles with a 727 in it and they take a breating.....like droping it into reverse at 60 mph to watch you rear end spin around and burn serious rubber....he...he....Being a kid was dangerous...

LT.

Update time. I got back from Moab on Easter Sunday. It turns out that the steering pump gave out while really flogging the truck on Friday. I ran Poison Spider, Gold Bar Rim, and Golden Spike in 5.5 hours. Which is pretty fast and the suspension handled everything I threw at it very well. I did have a passenger rear tire go flat a few miles into the trail. No problem, that is why I carry a full sized spare. I had it changed in short order and we continued. The tranny is on its last legs again. This has been a source of a sore spot for me for some time now. I am now needing the tranny rebuilt again and I am done with this truck. I may keep it together for this year but, I have been collecting parts for another build.

I think I have a TH-400 and a NP-203 lined up already and I have the motor about 60% built now. I am actually considering changing the motor up again. I think the motor I am building maybe too much. Perhaps a more stock build on a 454 ci. Chevy would be better. Tranny would last longer, more reliable, easier to tune, and the like. I will reuse the axles, suspension, T-cases, wheels, tires, and maybe a few other parts like the seats, at least for now. I even think I have settled on a chassis. Wheel base should be exactly the same as what I have now, 118". The wheel base worked well and I know that there is no such thing as a perfect wheel base but, it worked pretty well for me this last time out. I even think I have found someone to help me out for all the finish work that I lack the ability to handle. Things like, pedals, steering, floor boards, seating, gauges, and maybe even some other fab work I am not any good at.

Okay, so now for some lasting thoughts about the Ramcharger overall. First, if I ever go with another factory frame I would not go with a Dodge. The frames are really wide and this makes everything difficult to deal with. The only good thing about a wide frame is it is easy to run the exhaust with all the drive train already in the rig. Second, the poor carbon content has also been difficult to deal with. The frame tears really easily and is very frustrating to deal with as well. Third, if I was to do it again I would have kept the stock suspension design intact and just changed the leaf spring up to gather more flex. Forth, the truck has been a lot of fun and frustrating all at the same time. I did do a lot of learning with it and I would not have traded the learning experience for anything.

So, Cheston, are you sure you want to do this?

LT.

LT.

If anyone gets Off Road Magazine check out the december issue. The beater is featured in it and the article was written by me. This is my five minutes of fame so check it out.

LT.

LT.

Thanks. It would never have happened without the help from the folks here on Rocky Mountain Extreme. I have received fantastic advise from members here. Heck, I have even been rescued by a few of them and have had a lot of help along the way. Funny, how much better the beater turned out by listening to the folks here.

LT.

LT.

Not bad for a half breed, huh? Thanks, the article came out really well. My only screw up was I did not get permission to use some of the names and places as refrences before I wrote it. Basically, I wrote an email to the editor and mentioned names and places (Rocky Mountain Extreme, Stan Prueitt, and others for an example) and never gave it any thought that it would make it into the article. I should have received permission prior to writing anything. Oh well, live and learn I guess. I think I have apologized to everyone who's names I mentioned and I have also apologized to Mr. Herzog and Mr. Gardner.

LT.

Article looks great..... and you can write good too.

Greg

Admin
I also picked up my copy yesterday... man, you're on the cover and have 4 pages featuring your Beater!! It looks great, you've got a future as an editorial writer! Great story, killer tech and very well written Rob.

And no need to apologize about the name dropping, we're proud to be associated with your build. ;)

LT.

I also picked up my copy yesterday... man, you're on the cover and have 4 pages featuring your Beater!! It looks great, you've got a future as an editorial writer! Great story, killer tech and very well written Rob.

And no need to apologize about the name dropping, we're proud to be associated with your build. ;)

Thank you. Honestly though, this truck would not have turned out nearly as well if it was not for the folks and the ideas from this site.

It is really quite an honor and has left me a bit speechless (not an easy thing to do) with the whole thing. I have received a few emails, PM's, and phone calls regarding the truck. Lots of questions, few admirers, and others who just wanted to know how I did it. Looking back I am not sure how it all came together so well. Lots of frustration, beer, and mistakes for sure.

LT.

Greg

Admin
Thank you. Honestly though, this truck would not have turned out nearly as well if it was not for the folks and the ideas from this site.

It is really quite an honor and has left me a bit speechless (not an easy thing to do) with the whole thing. I have received a few emails, PM's, and phone calls regarding the truck. Lots of questions, few admirers, and others who just wanted to know how I did it. Looking back I am not sure how it all came together so well. Lots of frustration, beer, and mistakes for sure.

LT.

:cool:

LT.

I got a call from Steven Watson a week or so ago. Last Thursday I was able to return his call. Turns out he read the article in Off Road Magazine and said he may have some insight as to why my hydraulic pump gave out. Turns out I am still using the steering arms from the cross over steering kit. Well, those arms are a bit on the short side and my hydraulic ram is working at nearly a 100% duty cycle. This is taxing the pump and may have caused a premature failure. The folks at Off Road Design do make longer arms just for full hydraulic steering. I had noticed that my ram was not using all the throw it had available and just chalked it up to being normal. Well, it isn't and that is why I had a failure. So, when the motor swap happens I will also be replacing the steering arms at that time. Not such a big deal since I can reuse the arms on my Christine project. It sure was nice of Steven Watson just to call me out of the blue and offer a suggestion as to why my steering was not working like it should. Totally unexpected but, very appreciative none the less. It is always something, I swear.

LT.