Making my trailer spring over

Tebbsjeep

Do you guys see anything wrong with changing my trailer from SUA to SOA? It's just a 3k utility trailer. The only reason i want to do so is because it drags in my approach unless you really cross your fingers right.IMG_20240422_161438.jpg

STAG

On my grind
It’s a little bit more stress on suspension components under braking because your axle would have more leverage to twist on leaf spring, but I don’t see brakes in that pic so that’s null.

One thing of note; vast majority of trailer axles are purposefully arched (bent) up in the middle. You need to keep that arch on top or you’ll be getting bad wear on your tires.

To keep the arch on top you will need to weld on new leafspring perches, don’t just try to flip your axle due to the leaf perches being on the bottom.

Tebbsjeep

So if I throw a straight edge on the axle and it's flat, then would it be ok to just flip it and throw new u bolts at it? How much arch are we talking if it has any?

Last edited:

Tebbsjeep

So I got my perches and I'm tacking them on. I'm getting a lot of porosity in the weld. I ground everything to bare metal, gas is on, machine is set to recommended settings. What am I doing wrong here?IMG_20240424_164421.jpg

Tebbsjeep

The gas was on. I made that mistake before, so now I have "turn the gas on dummy" written above the switches. I was outside, but it was pretty calm. I didn't have time to mess with it before work, so I'll take another stab at it tomorrow. Can you have too much gas flow?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
The gas was on. I made that mistake before, so now I have "turn the gas on dummy" written above the switches. I was outside, but it was pretty calm. I didn't have time to mess with it before work, so I'll take another stab at it tomorrow. Can you have too much gas flow?

I wouldn't think so but I'm not a welding instructor

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
That’s what mine look like when I don’t have the gas on. I believe you can have the gas on too high, yeah- something about causing turbulence around the nozzle and actually making it so the gas doesn’t do its job. Paging @SoopaHick since he’s a weldererer.

Tebbsjeep

I can hear and feel the initial puff of gas when I pull the trigger, and my regulator reads 20cfh while holding the trigger. That's what the machine chart calls for with my wire size and gas type. Maybe I need to open it up and check the hose in the machine.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I can hear and feel the initial puff of gas when I pull the trigger, and my regulator reads 20cfh while holding the trigger. That's what the machine chart calls for with my wire size and gas type. Maybe I need to open it up and check the hose in the machine.

I had my bottle act like that when it was really out of gas. Not sure if that's what you're dealing with or not?

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
That's shouldn't be "too much gas" but based on the pictures I would absolutely say a gas coverage issue. Just do all the typical maintenance things. Check the bottle and make sure it isn't empty. Clean your nozzle, any spatter or material in the nozzle can block gas flow.
And then make sure you aren't too far away or have a wildly aggressive angle. The gas wants to come out of the nozzle and then immediately go up to the sky so if angle or stick out is too much then your gas will never make it to the weld.

The_Lobbster

Is the bottle wide open, or just cracked?

Also, what polarity are you running?

I’ve been running my new HF mig on 20cfh in the garage, but noticed when I take it to the driveway, even the slightest breeze causes me to get porosity, so I crank it up to 35-40, and try to get my back to the wind to block it too.

Tebbsjeep

The polarity is correct for solid wire and gas. The bottle is about halfway open. Should it be wide open? I just blew the machine out, checked the gas hose in the machine, blew the liner out, and cleaned the diffuser. I found the two gun lead o-rings were dry but not falling apart. I'll replace those and see how it welds.

Tebbsjeep

I moved the gas to 23cfh, and used the 3rd power "tap" and 70"/min wire speed. This is what I got. Still not consistent but better. I'm probably the problem at this point.

IMG_20240425_170415.jpg

IMG_20240425_170925.jpg