Marc Bryson's K30---Errrr '94 Wrangler----wait, '4x MB---I don't know what it is.....trail rig?

Marc Bryson's K30---Errrr '94 Wrangler----wait, '4x MB---I don't know... "Jeep" works

Owners Name & City-

Marc Bryson, Woods Cross, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle-

Excellent question. Titled as a '80 CJ

Engine-

'89 TBI 350

Transmission-

700R4

T-Case-

D300

Axles-

Front: Chevy Dana 60, 4.56 gears, Eaton E-Locker. full width

Rear : Shaved 14 Bolt with spool, 4.56 gears. full width

Suspension-

Waggy fronts

XJ rears (reversed) 101" wheelbase

Wheels and Tires-

38" Super Swamper TSL/SX on stock H1 wheels with PVC beadlocks

Winch-

T-Max 9000

Favorite Trails-

Pritchett, Coyote Canyon, Mineral Basin

Other-

lots......

backontrailer.jpg

abandoned_rig.jpg

I'll get some 'action' pics next time I take it out. (it might be all one color by then, but who knows.......)

Attached are 'all one color' pics.......

freshpaint.jpg

freshpaint2.jpg

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
What’s the wheelbase on the Buick? I’ve been working on a trailer design that will accommodate my Jeep and anything up to a 4door wrangler ish wheelbase. Taking a page out of @Hickey ’s book it will be a single axle with G rated tires. Torsion axle and low. Could be pretty easily extended if needed. Targeting sub 1k lbs for the frame only. I need to get back on this thing and finish the design and make sure dexter can make the axles the way I need.

View attachment 158836

116" wheelbase on a 68-72 A-body. 100" on my trail Jeep (at least as it sits). I'd be up for building a twin trailer to your concept. I'd want to analyze weight distribution between the Buick and the Jeep to optimize towing with a single axle. I would likely just replace the tires every 5-6 years as much as I trust trailer tires.

RockChucker

116" wheelbase on a 68-72 A-body. 100" on my trail Jeep (at least as it sits). I'd be up for building a twin trailer to your concept. I'd want to analyze weight distribution between the Buick and the Jeep to optimize towing with a single axle. I would likely just replace the tires every 5-6 years as much as I trust trailer tires.
The way this is setup now, it has a bit more than 15% tongue weight with my jeep on it. i can't remember the numbers exactly. much less than what my 3/4 ton truck is rated for.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
What’s the wheelbase on the Buick? I’ve been working on a trailer design that will accommodate my Jeep and anything up to a 4door wrangler ish wheelbase. Taking a page out of @Hickey ’s book it will be a single axle with G rated tires. Torsion axle and low. Could be pretty easily extended if needed. Targeting sub 1k lbs for the frame only. I need to get back on this thing and finish the design and make sure dexter can make the axles the way I need.

View attachment 158836

What’s the group build price on these bad boys

mbryson

Supporting Member
Fixing some more of the carnage from Labor Day 2022. Thought I had a bad output seal. Taking all the drive lines, crossmembers and such out and found the source of my leak was not necessarily the output shaft of the trans.20230923_135627.jpg

Novak will get a call Monday. Hoping not to pay $600 for an adapter and bonus spud shaft

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Fixing some more of the carnage from Labor Day 2022. Thought I had a bad output seal. Taking all the drive lines, crossmembers and such out and found the source of my leak was not necessarily the output shaft of the trans.View attachment 164231

Novak will get a call Monday. Hoping not to pay $600 for an adapter and bonus spud shaft

@SoopaHick

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
That adapter you have vracked is just a stock cast aluminum one as I'm sure you know. We (she) broke one on Stacie's V8 YJ and it was very cheap to just find another one. The application I found was a '90s Chevy 1500 with a 700R4 to NP 241.

(The uncheap part was that the tail cone on her 700R4 was also cracked)

mbryson

Supporting Member
I just got a call from Novak. They would like the destroyed version sent back and we made a decent deal on a new unit (hopefully exactly the same but mine is 20 years old so it may have some variance?) Should have an adapter by Thursday or so?

Every stock adapter I've looked at have integrated "feet". I'd rather not redo my crossmember setup if I can avoid it. This should move under it's own power by late Thursday night if I don't have other issues?

products-S102_004__63963.1368213623.1280.1280.jpg

casting number 15597798

s-l1600.jpg

That adapter you have vracked is just a stock cast aluminum one as I'm sure you know. We (she) broke one on Stacie's V8 YJ and it was very cheap to just find another one. The application I found was a '90s Chevy 1500 with a 700R4 to NP 241.

(The uncheap part was that the tail cone on her 700R4 was also cracked)

I don't "see" any issues with the trans case but we'll see how it goes. I was nervous about using the stock unit you outline above as everything I've seen has the "feet" cast into the adapter.

mbryson

Supporting Member
1695935574468.png

This is what I received. About 3/4" shorter than my current adapter. That means I'd have to lengthen/shorten drive lines. The adapter also has horizontal bolts to mount the adapter rather than the vertical bolts of the old unit.

For a transfer case I'm not fond of and a Jeep that I am not sure of it's purpose at this point, I don't see a reason to make this adapter work without doing other changes. Lots of thoughts going through my head.

• Part the Jeep out-not really interested in doing that
  • Chev 241 or 208 (I don't use front or rear dig regularly)
  • Atlas II like I should have done years ago (how often will I use this Jeep? Do I make it "street able" and dump the JT?)
  • Find the GM 241/208 adapter and redo the crossmembers mount keeping the Dana 300
I chose the last option for now. GM adapter on its way.

While the other adapter is on the way I contacted Novak for a return. Novak is trying to find me an older style adapter. There's one on E-bay but I'm pretty confident it's an Advanced Adapters unit, not the Novak it claims to be. If I can get the Novak from Novak themselves, I'd appreciate just doing that.

Jeep has been down for a year, a few more weeks won't kill me?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I think you need to go hard on a refresh for this rig. Spend some real money to make the changes that have always bugged you. Just like Greg, you need a light wheeler like the JT and a hardcore rig to keep the JT happy as a daily. Fix the adapter for now, but plan for a serious refresh.

This is the old RME dude formula for happiness.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I think you need to go hard on a refresh for this rig. Spend some real money to make the changes that have always bugged you. Just like Greg, you need a light wheeler like the JT and a hardcore rig to keep the JT happy as a daily. Fix the adapter for now, but plan for a serious refresh.

This is the old RME dude formula for happiness.

It will be getting some refresh and updates for sure

mbryson

Supporting Member
Mating the two adapters to have the right bolt pattern for the D300. 4 holes line up. Clocking is off a wee bit....20231009_190939.jpg

Probably help my drive line angles a bit? I'll have to rework my flat skid as the D300 "pan" has contact marks, I assume from the skid plate?

Reactions: DAA

mbryson

Supporting Member
16969010051713783010999536222210.jpg

I kind of need an output seal?

I'll have to check out the Advanced Adapters ADV 50-6304 and see if they'll just sell me the alum?
1696904109442.png

SKU: 51-6300

$228 list price. If it has a seal surface I'm in

UPDATE:

1696950958467.png

Should have it by Thursday, possibly by tomorrow evening (which would be ideal).

Advance was able/willing to snip parts from the kit for what I needed.

Last edited: