March 16-17 mini wanna-be expedition: Rattlesnake --> Pony Express --> Little Sahara

sixstringsteve

I need a shakedown run for my truck. it should be all back in one piece by then, and I want to work out any kinks before my trip the following week.

As with all my runs, weather will never prevent us from cancelling the run. We should have good weather Friday night, with a possibility of rain on Saturday. Nasty weather just makes it all the more fun sometimes.

Friday night
Meet @ chevron @ four-corners at 7 PM. (saratoga springs, redwood road and lehi main st.) (Point A on the map)
8:00 PM: Run rattlesnake trail (Point B on the map)
9:00 PM: head out on the pony express trail (Point C on the map)
10:00 PM: camp at Simpson springs for the evening. ($5 per vehicle) (Point D on the map)
[map]http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=UT-73+E&daddr=Sunshine+Canyon+Rd+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=40.229218,-112.358551&spn=0.91845,2.113495&sll=40.21181,-112.355305&sspn=0.459343,1.056747&geocode=FaJDaAIdUjNU-Q%3BFf4-ZgIdvtpP-Q%3BFXrMZQIdaPpP-Q%3BFQ7nYgId0BFH-Q%3BFQfpYgIdehBH-Q&mra=ps&t=h&z=10[/map]

Saturday
7:00 AM: Rise and shine, breakfast (Point A on the map)
7:30 AM: Leave Simpson springs, head to Little Sahara
9:00 AM: Arrive @ little sahara for the U4WDA service project. You will need an orange flag if you plan on driving on the sand. (Point C on the map)
[map]http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Pony+Express+Route%2FSimpson+Springs-Callao+Rd&daddr=Jericho+Callao+Rd+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&sll=39.835959,-112.611237&sspn=0.923761,2.113495&geocode=FQbqYgId9vFG-Q%3BFbsSXwIdRtdI-Q%3BFZSTXQId1mpN-Q%3BFZSTXQId1mpN-Q&mra=pr&t=h&z=10[/map]

Sorry it's so late, I work on Friday nights and I'm a night owl anyway. Anyone with a good attitude and a reliable vehicle is welcome to come. Wifes, kids, dogs, they're all welcome.

Vehicle Requirements:
- 4wd
- no lift required for the Pony Express Part. A subaru, honda pilot, etc could make this trip.
- Rattlesnake trail can be completed by most high-clearance stock 4x4s without body damage.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Committed:
- sixstringsteve
- tacoman99
- mustang_boy2001 (rattlesnake only)
- Thor96 (rattlesnake only)
- frieed
- pELYgroso
- Allterrain82

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

4 corners is redwood road and lehi main st. I hope you can make it. Even if you're a little late, I'm sure you can catch up with us on the trail.

airmanwilliams

me too. I hope I can get my new rear bumper and cb setup put on before the trip, really hate using my handheld cb radio. let me know what channel you guys will be on out there on your way out please.

chans

Steve I'm planning on making it for Friday but have to work Saturday so I want to make it to Simpson Springs at least and head out after everyone goes to bed. Where does the Pony Express trail reach the springs? I go out there hunting all the time but always take Lookout Pass. Hopefully I will be able to get everything finished on my 94 to take it and even though I can only do 60mph it should be enough to not hold everyone back and if not I will take the Taco.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Steve I'm planning on making it for Friday but have to work Saturday so I want to make it to Simpson Springs at least and head out after everyone goes to bed. Where does the Pony Express trail reach the springs? I go out there hunting all the time but always take Lookout Pass. Hopefully I will be able to get everything finished on my 94 to take it and even though I can only do 60mph it should be enough to not hold everyone back.

Here's a map to simpson springs:

[map]http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=UT-73+W&daddr=Dugway-Wendover,+UT+(Simpson+Springs+Campground)+to:pony+Express+Route%2FSimpson+Springs-Callao+Rd&hl=en&ll=40.24704,-112.261047&spn=0.883612,2.113495&sll=40.043255,-112.718182&sspn=0.110784,0.264187&geocode=FaJDaAIdTihU-Q%3BFQLpYgIdoPtG-SG_mPjOWRs5Iw%3BFUbwYgId3vpG-Q&mra=mi&mrsp=2&sz=13&t=h&z=10[/map]

chans

So you do go through Faust and over Lookout Pass. That is the way I always go but never knew it was part of the Pony Express. Since I can only go 60mph for 1/2 the way do you think I will hold everyone up and need to bring the other truck?

sixstringsteve

So you do go through Faust and over Lookout Pass. That is the way I always go but never knew it was part of the Pony Express.

Exactly. The only time we will hit 60 mph is between the chevron And a snakes. On the dirt we won't go over 40 mph.

chans

Exactly. The only time we will hit 60 mph is between the chevron And a snakes. On the dirt we won't go over 40 mph.

Cool, I will be there with the 94 then. I wish I could make it for the whole trip. I will beg for Saturday off since I keep missing your trips.

sixstringsteve

I should add that this is a "noob friendly" run. If you're new to the sport and you want to learn more about it, this will be a great first trip.