Mental health: it’s ok to talk.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
So true! A good friend of mine uses a campfire as a way to really get to know other humans. For example, if some potential business partners are coming in from overseas, he'll plan a night to buzz down to Moab or the Swell to set around a campfire just to really get to know them.

This is actually kinda, sorta, genius!
Forget therapists, it all comes out around the campfire! :cool:🔥
(unless you really need therapy, then don't forget therapists).

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
So I got put back in to young mens at church so I'll have several opportunities for campfire meditation in the coming months. The first being in just a few weeks (Jan 26). We're planning to go up to Ophir and hope we can get up the canyon and to the camp spot.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'll let you know if a couple of weeks. Its be a few years since I've been up there too.

They want to do 5 or 6 camp outs a year after not doing any last year. I was with them 2022 and we did one overnight and one 3 day backpacking trip. We're a fairly small group so we combine all ages for the camps.

J-mobzz

So I had typed this up a couple times over the last few months but didn't want to post it because it sounded to whiney and "poor me." That's not what I'm going for and it isn't the point of all this.

I decided that today I could share how difficult the process has been for me because Christmas buying is over and I'm feeling like I'm in a good place. I have a few things on my website but not very many. I’ve got more to finish, and will in the coming weeks, but it’s not a huge priority for me. I’ve got some other things I want to noodle around with in the garage.

Kevin shared it already but my website is nathanroperwoodworks.com. Ive got an instagram account for it as well that I add pictures to more frequently.

I ordered one of @nnnnnate bowls before Christmas, but was headed out of town with my kids for Christmas break and told Nate I would get in touch with him when I got back and then honestly just kind of forgot. But Nate came through and dropped off my order today with a little bonus bowl.

I have to say the craftsmanship is pretty remarkable and it’s a solid chunk of walnut for some reason I guess I just assumed it would be a glue up piece. I initially purchased this with the idea of giving it as a gift at some point because I think it’s pretty rad to give unique handcrafted items like this away as gifts but there’s no way this thing is leaving my house now.

Anyways, just wanted to give him a shout out here in the group. Beautiful bowl and I’m super happy to own it. If anyone wants a conversation piece for the kitchen. There’s no doubt these handcrafted bowls will be that.

IMG_6404.jpeg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
It's 2:30am, and for the 3rd night in a row I can't sleep. Not one bit. I lay in bed for about 4 hours, and then just get up to do something.
We (wife and I) have been talking about some life changes, and I didn't think it would have much impact on me.. but apparently it has.
I am completely exhausted, but as soon as my eyes close, it's like green light for my brain to go 100.
I've lived my entire adult life in a state of stress in one way or another, so it takes a LOT to keep me awake. I'm totally surprised that this potential change is playing with my psyche so much..
That's all. Just sharing.

Pike2350

I have suffered the insomnia a lot lately as well. Taking hours to fall asleep or waking up in the middle of the night and can't go to sleep due to all the thoughts about work, life, addition, rentals,etc.

I found that I need to read or put the TV on. I will go down in the family room and fall asleep in the couch fast with the TV going or while trying to read. Keeping my mind from starting the "cycling" is the key.....hard to do though.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Meditation is a real skill. Practicing it is a good way to improve my insomnia which admittedly happens pretty infrequently.

I fall asleep in seconds but often wake up at 2am and start working in my head.

One thing I love about desert racing is it forces me to clear my mind for hours, which is impossible with traditional meditation.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I've noticed that if I stay up past midnight I have a hard time relaxing and falling asleep. Spoiler alert: I still do it a ton, including last night. It's like my brain hits another gear. Also, getting old is dumb because old people don't sleep well.

JeeperG

I've definitely had sleep issues most my life, which I now contribute to this ADHD crap. Lately I've been doing pretty well on the sleep. I try to stick to routine and simplicity, exercise, diet and meditation, meditation doesn't have to be sitting in the lotus position, it can be working on a hobby, walking meditations or anything that draws your focus and attention.

My room is for sleeping, I have no TV, my phone is put out of reach and if I just can't sleep or I wake up and can't go back I get up and do something or start reading.

Chamomile tea is helpful sometimes

Only thing stressing me out right now is my truck project, I'm tired of working on it and want my weekends back.

Don't forget to check in on your people, let them know you're there. Talking to a friend just yesterday and she had to go pick up the .40 cal handgun her brother used last year to commit suicide, she said she won't ever open the box and will probably let her son take it and store it away, still has 4 rounds in it.

Tonkaman

It's 2:30am, and for the 3rd night in a row I can't sleep. Not one bit. I lay in bed for about 4 hours, and then just get up to do something.
We (wife and I) have been talking about some life changes, and I didn't think it would have much impact on me.. but apparently it has.
I am completely exhausted, but as soon as my eyes close, it's like green light for my brain to go 100.
I've lived my entire adult life in a state of stress in one way or another, so it takes a LOT to keep me awake. I'm totally surprised that this potential change is playing with my psyche so much..
That's all. Just sharing.
Maybe it’s not stress, but excitement?

xjtony

I want to share this here because it's important. I've suffered from severe depression for years as I've tried to deal with my disabilities. I tried to deal with it myself, and say "everything is going to be ok", but it's fine to need help. If you can't get yourself help you can't be there to meet the needs of the people you love. I did this for a long time and missed the needs of the people who cared about me, and did a disservice to myself.

If you're struggling find someone to talk to and listen to the people around you.

It's OK to need help.

Agility Customs

Vendor
Did some cold plunges this weekend. Right before bed- it helped me sleep good. It was like a hard reset on my computer brain.

Cold plunging is the best thing ever for my Sleep, My wife said it helps her sleep way better as well. We have been cold plunging nightly for almost a month now and it SUCKS but is fun at the same time.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
cold plunging is a sure sign of mental illness.

I also suffer from many sleepless nights. I'm usually so exhausted by the end of the day that I pass out within minutes, but I'll wake up in the middle of the night and I'm just wide awake thinking of the million things I have to do.

It used to be solo time driving or helmet time or even just down time while camping would help keep my sanity. Just not much time for those things currently.