Miller DVI

fordy4

I am getting a new welder for christmas and wondering what to get. They had me pretty sold on the millermatic 210 mig, but the DVI seems to be a good choice too and it can run on 220 or 110 (and it's cheaper). Any opinions as to the DVI with the dual power option? They recomended not to go to the 175, but I have read some good things about it on previous threads. I would like to be able to weld aluminum also as an option.

Caleb

the 175 will do aluminum however to do aluminum it makes a HUGE difference if you can use the spool gun which, if I remember correctly, you can't with the 175. The 175 is a sweet machine but given your want to do aluminum I would stick with ATLEAST the 210, step up to the 251 if you can afford it, you won't regret it ;) I dont have any experience with the DVI (is that the one thats the size of a shoe box?)

Caleb

ok, I just went and looked at the DVI on their site and IMO there is no comparison between the DVI and 210...a better comparison would be between the 175 and the DVI (same output range, but the DVI has a little better duty cycle)...if you want a 210 machine then get the 210, if you want a 175 THEN I would debate between the DVI and 175.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I have the DVI and like it alot. It is very well built and penetrates the thicker metal I have used for bumpers and tire carriers. I have used both the 115 and the 220 modes and prefer the 220 mode. These bigger units are tougher to dial in for thin sheet metal than my little 115 V Lincoln was but I think if I went to smaller wire it would do better. If you wanted to come and try it you can come on over.
Dave

fergusor

I have the DVI and use the hell out of it. 210 is 160 A with 60 % duty cycle and the dvi is 150 amp with 40% duty cycle The duty cylce isnt as much as the 210 but I dont do that long of a weld. I bougt mine for 950. The one thing I dont know if I like or dislike yet is the handle is smaller on the dvi.

Caleb

fergusor said:
I have the DVI and use the hell out of it. 210 is 160 A with 60 % duty cycle and the dvi is 150 amp with 40% duty cycle The duty cylce isnt as much as the 210 but I dont do that long of a weld. I bougt mine for 950. The one thing I dont know if I like or dislike yet is the handle is smaller on the dvi.

Thats the duty cyle though (and still, thats a pretty big difference). Compare the output ranges and the 210 is 30-210A and the DVI is 30-175A (same as the MM175). Also the MM175 has a duty cycle of 130A with 30% duty cycle. Like I said before, a more fair comparison is the DVI vs. the MM175...the 210 is WAY more machine than either of those two.

what do you mean smaller handle? You mean a smaller gun? If so thats cause the DVI uses the EXACT same gun as the MM175 (the M-10) and the 210 uses the M-25 gun...again a nicer gun. Also, the DVI is not reccomended for aluminum uses.

If it were me and I was considering the DVI or the 210 it would be a no brainer, MM210 anyday.

Last edited:

fordy4

Thanks for all replies, after some research I decided on the mm210. I think if I didn't already have a 115v welder it may have been a harder choice, but the output on DVI just didn't seem like it would have been enough for my needs, I didn't realize that the output range was the same as the 175, plus the 210 comes all set up to have a spool gun. I guess the DVI requires a diverter valve switch kit to run a spool gun.

Tjjeepjunkie

J.A.M. Off-Road Racing
The DVI minum but miller does not recommend it because it does not put out enough amps, so if you are going to be welding aluminum buy the 210 it is a sweet machine i welded all of my chassis with one. $1,197.00 at Airgas