Mineral Basin: Custom Rockgarden du jour

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Yesterday was an historic day for wheelers in American Fork Canyon. Rocks were put back and the trail should be better than ever. More is still planned so read on.....

People involved: Brett Davis (U4WDA), Alan Taylor (Prez. U4WDA), EZ Rhino (general troublemaker and large nuisance), AF-FS Trail Patrol members Bruxton, Brian, and Brett, and Ranger Scott. And most of all--Andy from Snowbird, the HO! (operator).

The FS wanted to keep the trail accessible to a "skilled ATV rider" (his words), so much of it has narrow passageways on the sides where an ATV can get through.

We all felt like it was a cooperative effort and win/win for all parties involved. Brett and I actually rode Andy to his machine and then the work began. First, the stream was diverted out of the road and back into the streambed very near the Pittsburg Lake trailhead. Then (sigh.....) they dug a tank trap at the start of Pittsburg Lake Trail to keep people out of there. :mad: (No comment. RIP Pitsburg). Then the cool work began! Several BIG rocks were moved back into the trail at the first rocky spot below the garden, that is, the first filter. Rocks as big as a VW bug were drug in and this should be a fun place to play. We went further up to the Garden and dug another tank trap to block the bypass and placed two or three large rocks on top of the tank trap on the close side to help deter ATV's from using it. Big rocks were also placed at the top of the bypass. Many large rocks were placed back in the trail prior to our work (I had a good time getting through it!), more were added by the trac-hoe. I think the first person who goes up there tomorrow morning is going to get a rude awakening!

Future Plans:
There will be a WORK PARTY on the Saturday after Labor Day to do the following: 1) add permanent closure to the bypass with buck 'n pole fence, 2) plant saplings courtesy of Snowbird, and 3)add signage to the trail, including the possiblility of adapt-a-trail. Signs will include a rating of difficulty and words of warning to those not prepared for such a treat. WE NEED VOLUNTEERS for this party! (It will be a PARTY!!) I'm quite sure that we will get people to donate food, equipment, etc.

I would unoficially like to suggest that in the mean time we do the following:

1) Right now the FS has a pretty good impression of wheelers as an organized group, but not as individuals necessarily. We need to self police! Keep others out of the bypass!! Pick up trash! Show the patrols your garbage bags, show them what you collect.
2) ROLL every damn rock you can physically move into the trail! The more the better, it keeps out the riff raff. During the work party we may be able to use "mechanical means" to create an even tastier rockgarden.
3) Respect Snowbird's property. Keep off the ski hill, away from the lifts and equipment. Know when to turn around.

Alan should be posting pictures soon. If they are not up by later tonight I'll throw a few on.
EZ

not to be held responsible for spelling errors :D

allterrain

AllTerrain
Following is a little of the story in pictures.

Thanks to all who have been involved with making this possible. We got everything we wanted and it just could not have gone better. A few things took some gentle persuasion, but it happened. EZ nailed it. This trail is ours to LOSE. Run it, love it, take care of it.
A good winter will get it back in shape and rutted up nicely next spring.

The trail patrol rangers are some of our best allies. Wave, be friendly and spread the word about being responsible.

Thanks,

Alan

demon jeep

Banned
It can not be that saturday I will be in Illinios for a few days and I want to help man Im going go nuts out there knowing you all are having fun and doing good :mad: :(

MattL

I personally havent been up there wheeling in a while, but I wanted to take a moment to say thank you to those that help keep our sport/hobbie/addiction alive and healthy. Hopefully before the end of the summer things will be able to co me together so i can go play who knows though.

So thank you to all those who worked hard for this.

--Matt

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Great work guys! I will be there for the party, how many people do we want there? Is there any kind of limit? I'll post a Sticky on the Board with the details. Matter of fact, I'll be glad to post in on other Local BB's.

Looks great!!!!

moabjeeper

Man Down!!!!
I will for sure be there on sat. Is there a limit on how many ppl can come. If not then i will bring some of my friends. What time is it exactly on sat? Count me in!!