Mixing Leafs, Coils and Swaybars

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm not going for 'Ramp-Champ' Flex, just a little twist. I also think the Deflection the YJ bushings provide will be enough. And the JJ on top will help there. I was thinking the Limiting Factors from binding may be good, actually.

Aslong as the rearend plants the tires under throttle and it twists up about as good as the Chevy leafs do now, I'm happy.

troutbum

cubi-kill
Originally posted by Greg
GregStyle-

The Lower link would be longer, ending at nearly the Top of the Arm.

This will be important, as pictured your ass end will jack way up under power. As a general rule the greater the distance between the axle and the UCA and LCA intersection the less antisquat you will have.

Why a track bar and not a triangulated 3 or 4 link???

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by troutbum

This will be important, as pictured your ass end will jack way up under power. As a general rule the greater the distance between the axle and the UCA and LCA intersection the less antisquat you will have.

UH, no, that is not applicable in this design. Since both arms terminate at one point on the frame, as long as the top bar is as near to level as reasonably possible, you won't have a problem. The reason to extend the lower link to the full lenght of the upper is to prevent bending.

troutbum

cubi-kill
I assume you mean that UCA and LCA convergence is not applicable to determining AS in this design (not really clear what you meant)?

how are you calculating the IC of the axle??:confused:

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
So I'm a little confused. How are you going to get any twist in your axle with two radius mounted both mounted to the top and bottom of the axle? The YJ bushings will really give you enough deflection?

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I assume you mean that UCA and LCA convergence is not applicable to determining AS in this design (not really clear what you meant)?

how are you calculating the IC of the axle??:confused:
How am I trying to calculate it? It's not my design, so I haven't done any calculations.

troutbum

cubi-kill
Originally posted by Jeremy
UH, no, that is not applicable in this design.

The only way that my statement,
As a general rule the greater the distance between the axle and the UCA and LCA intersection the less antisquat you will have.
, would not hold true is if the lower arm/brace did not change the instant center of the axle.

Based on your post I thought you were saying that this design would not increase AS???

I did not have time to look it up last night so I am not positive, but it seems to me that you still have a vector of force from the LCA, even if it shares the frame mount with the UCA there is still a significant vertical force which would impact IC, if IC is moved up then anti-squat is increased (assuming wheel base and COG remain constant). Did I miss something??:confused:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

I understand that, the pic I posted was the a quick, first draft. The Radius arm will be around 40" or more, long and as close to horizontal as possible. The lower link will be nearly as long as the upper.

Originally posted by rustybronco
So I'm a little confused. How are you going to get any twist in your axle with two radius mounted both mounted to the top and bottom of the axle? The YJ bushings will really give you enough deflection?

The Axle ends of the Radius arms are going to fight with twisting the Axle Housing, and I'm OK with that.

I am under the impression that Coils typically (Generalization, not rule of thumb) outperform Leafs, but I don't want the rear to do all the Flexing. The Leafs I'll have in the front work great under Toyotas, and if the Radius arm setup binds a little, then it will hopefully create a better balanced suspension.

Like I said..... We'll see!