Moab Trail Info, Jackson Hole aka Killer Kane

Brett

Meat-Hippy
From looking at the map and trail guide I have for that specific area, it show's that the Jackson Hole trail is a loop, that just ties back into itself on the way back out.

Nice decription in my book.....

Trail Description-
"The trail begins where the Hurrah Pass trail becomes the Chicken Corners trail, about 2-3/4 miles beyond the summit of the Hurrah Pass on the Colorado River side. The trail spurs right at this junction, then decends immeadiately into a small gorge, while the Chicken Corners trail continues straight ahead. There may be a fence and gate just a few feet from the trail junction on the the Jackson Hole trail. Beyond this gate the trail follows the wash for some disctance before climbing out onto higher ground. There the trail winds through highly eroded terrain studded with fascinateing eroded rock forms. About 2 miles from the trail start is the site of some earlier mining activity then continues toward Jackson Hole.

As it near this spectacular natural feature the trails is somewhat confused by old mineral search trails, but the main trail travels up a shallow sand and slickrock wash for some distance, the climbs out to went a tortuous path through the great masses of ancient river-bottom shaped meander. The trail completely encircles the the high column of rock in the center of this "rincon," but may be easier to find going in the counter clockwise direction. "

Brett

Meat-Hippy
jacksonholeblurry.jpg

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
The pictures are from 2-3 years ago. I havn't done the trail myself, but I've heard that it isn't for those that are afraid of heights.

neagtea

Supporting Member
I ran it with the guys that origionally opened it up. It was called mine sweeper but now killer kane. We ran it last thanksgiving and again over easter. The rock slide is a new obstacle that should be left alone as it will seperate out the rigs that have no business up there. some atv's have been going around it and a jeep would probably make it around it but I wouldnt try it we went over the rock slide.
jeff

neagtea

Supporting Member
Oh yea.
Some people have looked at connecting it to c.h but it would be major work and the Blm May not approve of new trail building that is in sight of a major trail. I'm sure some one will make it some day.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Oh yea.
Some people have looked at connecting it to c.h but it would be major work and the Blm May not approve of new trail building that is in sight of a major trail. I'm sure some one will make it some day.

Moab's recent BLM RMP revisions likely will prevent any and all new trail building without alot of red tape and BLM approval. Drtsqrl could give us the whole story but its likely to never happen???

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
Is the ~6" metal line that is crossed a couple time on Cliffhanger your natural gas line?

Do you know Dennis D'agnese?

Yes and yes. In fact Dennis is the one who drove the welding truck over there. He just helped me do some stuff on my spare 9" housing to get it ready to go in my Bronco when I do my SAS in a couple of weeks. I helped him build tube doors on his FJ40 a while back.

The power line is ours too.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Moab's recent BLM RMP revisions likely will prevent any and all new trail building without alot of red tape and BLM approval. Drtsqrl could give us the whole story but its likely to never happen???

Like I said in an earlier post, there is a hiker / biker connection from Killer Kane to Cliffhanger that I have walked, but I could not find any possible route that a jeep could take. I'm not saying it's impossible, but even if it were, it would be extremely unlikely that the BLM would approve such a route (under the current or future RMP).

By the way, the Moab Area Draft RMP should be ready for public review and comment this coming spring. There is a preliminary version posted on the BLM website now at www.blm.gov/rmp/ut/moab. They are not taking comments yet.

Jeff

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yes and yes. In fact Dennis is the one who drove the welding truck over there. He just helped me do some stuff on my spare 9" housing to get it ready to go in my Bronco when I do my SAS in a couple of weeks. I helped him build tube doors on his FJ40 a while back.

The power line is ours too.

Cool, tell Dennis I said hello :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Like I said in an earlier post, there is a hiker / biker connection from Killer Kane to Cliffhanger that I have walked, but I could not find any possible route that a jeep could take. I'm not saying it's impossible, but even if it were, it would be extremely unlikely that the BLM would approve such a route (under the current or future RMP).

By the way, the Moab Area Draft RMP should be ready for public review and comment this coming spring. There is a preliminary version posted on the BLM website now at www.blm.gov/rmp/ut/moab. They are not taking comments yet.

Jeff

Thanks for the heads up Jeff :cool:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I will be headed up "killer Kane" saturday if anyone wants to come along.

It's one of those trails where if you can't make it any farther you have to back all the way down.......

Also check out the WAY old mining truck remains around the trail head, and also the half full boxes of hurcules dinamite in the mines it's cool if your into that kind of stuff ;) .

Have fun I'd tag along if I could :rolleyes:

notajeep

Just me
I'll post up pics later.... but the trail was a little more difficult to find than I expected. It looked like no one had been up it in a rig since all the rain that we had the first part of october. But once I found it, there are 2 spots where it has eroded (sp) pretty badly like the spot on kane creek. But are passable with careful spotting and a little side hilling. Then I found the rock slide...... at first didn't look too bad, then I saw the other side. It IS passable, but I didn't want to try it alone. I am sure that it is not really as bad as it looks, but being right there on the edge of the cliff there is little room for error.
Any way..... I'll post up some pics later today or tomorrow.
Dan