Moab Trails for Stock Rubicons

UtahFire

So i'm taking a group of newbies to Moab in a few weeks. Most of them are running stock Rubicons. What trails do you think I should take them on? I have Fins, Hells, Metal Masher, Gold Bar or Flat Iron Mesa on my list. I have never run Flat Iron Mesa. So I don't know anything about it.

Any suggestions?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Flat iron has Easter Egg Hill at the end that gets a little interesting if you don't pick the right line down it. I think it's do-able in a stock Rubicon, (or even a stock non-rubicon).
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=91
I like Flat iron Mesa, it's not traveled a lot, has some great scenery and some decent obstacles for a stockish vehicle.

I've never seemed to pick the right line down Easter egg, the first time I did it I dropped onto my skid plate and a couple others in my group just lifted the rear by hand and I slid off.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Poison Spider should be fine in a stock Rubicon. I enjoy Top of the World, not challenging at all, but very pretty. Steel Bender, its been a few years since I last ran it, but unless it's gotten really torn up I wouldn't imaging it being much of a problem. Seven Mile Rim is always enjoyable. Basically grab the most recent EJS paper and anything rated 6 or lower would probably be fine for them.

ZUKEYPR

Easter Egg hill has a by pass, I didn't even realize it until last year when I was on it and someone pointed it out. That said if I can spot a Liberty with only a 3" lift down it, a Rubi will have no issue. Just stay off the top falls on the optional chute.

A better question would of been what trails not to take a Stock Rubi on because they are capable enough to do practically all of them, that are at least in the Charles Wells Guide. Stay off of Pritchet Canyon, Moab Rim, maybe Kanes Creek if it got tore up over the last few storms (generally does the month of Sept).

An even more important question would be what trails do their driving skills warrant? Fun newer trails would be Metal Masher (by pass Widowmaker), Seven Mile Rim, Gold Bar, Dome Plateau, Top of the World, Elephant Hill to name a few. One of my favorites still to this day is Klondike Bluff to Tower Arch, to Eye of the Whale. You end up ending at Balancing Rock in Arches

UtahFire

We are going over UEA weekend which is Oct 17 - 19th. The driving skills of this group is all across the board. Some are wheeling in Moab for the first time. I have never run Seven Mile Rim, Klondike Bluff or Dome Plateau. Those might be interesting. I ran Steel Bender a few years ago and it just seemed long and bumpy with very few obstacles. Metal Masher is one of my favorites. Any other ideas?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
For new wheelers in Moab, I always recommend Chicken corners. Easy wheeling, some sand, a couple 8" ledges, a nice 400' drop if you intentionally drive off the edge, and stunning views throughout.

Omgbecki

I'm Actually Heading Down That Same Weekend GertSch Actually gave Me The Idea Actually. Anyone Heading Down From The NorthernUtah Area Would Love People To Drive Down With. Could Someone Going Down That Time Shoot Me A Text? 8015641676

zukijames

Right after the wedge? Or something on flat iron there is a climb I couldn't make in my rover with 33s and a rear locker and I'd like to think I'm a decent driver

ZUKEYPR

You are talking about the Chute that I referred to earlier. Yes there is a bypass. Yes the Chute can be made with 33" and a locker, I've seen it done. He made it right after my LJ locked front and rear on 34s got pulled up it.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I may rethink Metal Masher with a stocker. When we were down there in June, there were a couple of dropoffs that were pretty dug out. We watched a group of side by sides even tear it up and dig it out more.

I like Dome Plateau, Poisen Spider, Fins & Things and Hell's Revenge for stock Wranglers with an experienced driver behind the wheel. As far as nice fairly easy yet scenic trails, we like Gemini Bridges, Chicken Corners, Onion Creek, Shafer Trail and Long Canyon.

I think we may be there the same weekend, or at least we are thinking about it. Have to confirm with my son on his college schedule and the wife's work schedule.

Mike.

Pile of parts

We ran it over Labor Day weekend. The waterfall is getting deeper. Stock height will probably drag a bumper. We had a stock TJ on 30's with us. Trailer hitch made for a pretty good plow coming up. Had to give him a little tug. Don't know what the rains have done to it since then