Modifying a Jeep 4.0L oil pan for clearance?

thenag

So I have virtually no clearance between my exhaust down tube and my oil pan. And the Down tube is self clearancing on my front DS yoke
modIMAG0018.jpg

I know that the oil pickup is closer to the front of the sump than the rear of the sump. I was thinking that ideally I could have that corner taken in about 2 inches and have the drain plug moved to the other side, that way the exhaust pipe could get closer to the pan on the back side too. (TIG welding?)

Has anyone done this on 4.0L or other motor?

What methods would\could be used to clear the rear corner of the oil pan. (I want to do something a bit more elegant than smash it with a hammer.

As you can see from the picture if I could get 1-2 inches it would make a huge difference.

I am building a stroker this winter and had the idea that I could give my exhaust guy a little more space to re-build my down pipe.

Thanks for any ideas on this.

If anyone thinks they could weld this up nice and wants to try let me know.

Oh I cannot use a 258 pan, since the sump would contact my diff.

Nathan

Attachments

• IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I would start with a brand new pan. That oil soaks into the thing and it stinks to weld. I've tried to fix 2 separate pans on 4.0s and ended up replacing both. Even with lots of brake cleaner and prep.

I'd say go for it, just make sure it clears the windage/ oil scraper tray thingy.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
^^That's hard to argue with. Especially when a new pan only costs like $50-$60. (I just replaced mine a couple months back...)

amp713

Idk your set up exaclty but what about switching years of downpipes, alot of us YJ guys go to the tj down pipe due to the different routing. Maybe you could find a different down pipe and the routing would give you the room needed versus getting wild with a pan.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
My son's MJ used to have a similar problem. His issue was that the front axle wasn't centered as well as it should have been after he lifted it. Once it was centered correctly it never hit.

thenag

Idk your set up exaclty but what about switching years of downpipes, alot of us YJ guys go to the tj down pipe due to the different routing. Maybe you could find a different down pipe and the routing would give you the room needed versus getting wild with a pan.

I believe the manifold I have is the same as a tj. I have a 99 xj. According to this they are all same from 91-99 yj, tj, xj, zj. in 2000 I believe they got pre-cats so they would be different.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/27601_06_07.htm

Thanks, if there is a manifold that might help I am open to the idea.

My son's MJ used to have a similar problem. His issue was that the front axle wasn't centered as well as it should have been after he lifted it. Once it was centered correctly it never hit.

I have a d60 with a GM length short side shaft on the driver side and a custom pass side. If the axle was 1.5 inch wider that would solve the problem (an extra 3/4 inch would be a lot down there), but at this point the axle isn't going to get re-worked. I could adjust the caster down and shift the axle so that it isn't centered, but not ideal, and it drives really well so I don't really want to mess with castor. (I don't recall what I set it at but it is as little as recommended) I have never looked but if I could get a 1310 yoke for the dana 60 that would help a lot too, but I will give up hp/torque for a 1350 over a 1310 any day.

Nathan's 60 front is more offset to the center.

I am humbled that you remember enough of my build to know that off the top of your head.

Thanks

thenag

I just wanted to update this thread.

Yes you can modify an oil pan for clearance. Usually it is done in cars where someone wants to put a bigger motor in or better steering/suspension.

I cut it, I had MikeGyver weld it, it seems to have worked out well. I will have to show it to my exhaust guy to see if he thinks it helped give him some more space.

Same exact exhaust with modded pan.

IMG_20160117_142159.jpg

IMG_20160117_142204.jpg

Check my build thread for more details, page 14-15
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?83436-Nathan-and-Tanja-s-99-XJ-Build-up/page14