Morbid question: are Viking funerals illegal?

02SE

Oooh I wonder how many laws it's against to have my ashes mailed to someone...? That gives me some bad ideas. You know those glitter bomb packages? Imagine that but with me!

Another thread successfully derailed ✔️

I can tell you, having been in charge of my parents care for several years, and their final arrangements, that if you are cremated (both of my parents were by their choice) whomever is in charge of your final arrangements, will receive a Cremation/ Burial Transit Permit (like a Passport for remains), from the Utah Department of Health, Office of Vital Records & Statistics.

I would also do your due diligence in choosing the entity to handle final arrangements. I looked at several, some were NOT confidence inspiring.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I've often thought of being cremated and shot out of a cannon like Hunter S. Thompson or buried in some remote place like Ed Abbey. I do already have a few plots in the local cemetery though, we'll see if I use them or not.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Is it true that if you are cremated you still have to buy a burial plot?
No you don't. Only if you want your ashes to be buried there. I recently helped someone scatter ashes in the Uintas and they didn't need a plot at a cemetery. Lots of cemetery's have columbariums now that are cheaper than a plot and are actually very nice.

02SE

My mom is going to be cremated.. We are going to take a shovel to the cemetery her parents are buried at, dig a hole on top of grandma and grampa an hide mom there too :rofl: .

You can actually do that legitimately, and have her added to the headstone. At least you can at the SLC Cemetery.

IIRC, they said you could put 4 cremains (cremated remains) in a plot that already has two caskets. Or 8 cremains in an empty plot.

I would think other cemeteries probably have similar policies.

Last edited:

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Oooh I wonder how many laws it's against to have my ashes mailed to someone...? That gives me some bad ideas. You know those glitter bomb packages? Imagine that but with me!

Another thread successfully derailed ✔️

Puts a new level to the term “Eat me!”