more carnage (canyon)~~

bb88

New Title
we took another trip to carnage canyon Sunday~Damn that place is living up to its name~we had Gary in his YJ,a kid named JJ(?) in a CJ, George in a full size Chev,Shawn in a full size Jimmy and me in the Sidekick.neither one of the fullsize made it out of the warmup area. the CJ was locked in the front and did pretty well 'till it got a hole poked in the diff cover and JJ(?) decided to call it good.since the last trip I did a "Lincoln Lock" on the front end of the 'kick, WOW what a difference having both axles locked,I made it to the spot where I broke the t-case last time without a problem,then the carnage began! I slit a sidewall and squished a fender to start, we didn't have a high lift so we improvised (see first pic) then a little further up I broke a tie rod end,got that fixed and made it to the big waterfall,but on the attempted climb I bent a leaf and hyperextended a shackel,I decided to call it a day,but on the way down the trail I broke a birf, so needless to say the canyon got me this time. Gary's XJ performed flawlessly (as usual) he even made it up the BIG waterfall with a little help of a strap

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
sounds like a lot of fun.....I need to get my junk rolling down the road again...sounds like we should change the name to charge it canyon in rememberance of all the money spent on repairs!!! :eek:

grinch

inner city redneck
Man I need in on this trail. If there is another run up there before it snows please post it on here I will get my junk rolling long enough to break it up there.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
dood!! anytime, my junk is broke too but I will be glad to show you the way. talk to brett and see if he is up and running yet. :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Where exactlly can this trail be found??? Has anyone found out anymore details on its sketchy legality or is it still use at your own risk? I'm down for a late fall run...

-Kurt

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
it is in north ogden exiting off the side of north ogden canyon going in a north east direction. search out previous write ups, I have sattelite maps and everything :)

bb88

New Title
when we were airing down, a North Ogden Police Occifer drove by and gave us a "look"~he didn't say a word.....and nope I'm still broke(in more ways than one)

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
according to the signs posted, you can give that officer a big finger!!! he is outside of the north ogden boundaries and the only people that can harrass you are the forrest service law enforcement officials or the county sherriff. moon the sucker the next time he drives by but dont be surprised if he finds some obscure violation to write you up for once you decide to head back through his territory to go home :) that canyon is all forrest service land so dont worry for now!!

Box Rocket

bored
With a trail that cool so close to home for most of us, we need to VERY careful not to piss anyone off, even the cops that are out of their jurisdiction. If they get pissed at us, it will eventually get back to the Forest Service officials and they may not be so cooperative.

I haven't run it yet but I plan to. It looks like an AWESOME trail. There are too many trails getting shut down locally, so be on good behavior and don't leave crap like cans and trash etc up there if you see it. If we all take good care of it, we'll get to use it for much longer.

One of the local clubs should possibly consider adopting that trail and working with the forest service to maintain it. Wasatch Cruisers is just finalizing the adoption of the Ward Canyon trail in Bountiful. It's an easy trail but it was close to being closed. Our club did a couple of HUGE cleanup projects up there and really got the Bountiful mayor and other city officials on our side and its staying open and the forest service seems geeked about us taking care of it.

It can be a long process but this type of responsible, proactive approach may be the only way we can keep many of the trails open. Yeah, a letter to the BLM or to your congressman is great, but actually going out and showing you're willing to take care of the land yourself goes a lot farther. And even though the authorities might not be able to touch you, doing ANYTHING to piss them off is gonna come back to screw all of us.

-------getting off my soapbox--------

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Adam,
let me know when your thinking about running that trail. I have been following the thread for a while and it seems like an awesome trail. Plus you need someone to show you how to destroy a pitman arm in thin air...:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Its on :D What does this trail rate in the snow, like this weekend or next? Possible or no? How much snow do you guys up North have chillin' on the ground?

Box Rocket

bored
It's gonna take some serious persuasion to get me to do it with the hardtop on. I'm not real anxious to pull it back off right now either, just to put it back on. I absolutely hate wheeling with the heavy hardtop on the cruiser, especially on something that looks remotely difficult.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Thats why you soldier it and leave the hard top off until the very last minute (6" of snow on the seats) j/k
I want to run this trail without the hardtop also but I need to put it on this weekend before its full fo white stuff...:D

Box Rocket

bored
That's exactly why I'm telling everyone to play nice for the next few months so it doesn't get shut down. I'll be waiting till spring to run it. This will be a perfect renegade run for the club.:cool:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I can wait til' then, I agree that one of the clubs really needs to get something going on this one before its too late. There are quite a few RME members that live in the area, and I think alot of them are clubbers...any takers up there....if not what is the posibility of the WCC taking on another trail??? Is the ward canyon trail going to require a weekly/monthly/yearly commitment. In what city is the carnage canyon trail located? Possibly make carnage a combined effort between several clubs, where each club takes a turn doing maintainance/cleanup...
.....:confused: Just ideas I guess...

BTW Adam. PM me if your thinking of taking action on this trail.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by WasatchCruiser
I absolutely hate wheeling with the heavy hardtop on the cruiser, especially on something that looks remotely difficult.

That's why I run with a Soft top;)

Box Rocket

bored
Ward Canyon will probably need something close to monthly attention through the spring/summer/fall while there is a lot of ATV/ motobike/4x4 use on it. It's just a highly trafficked area, so we want to keep it up. The plan is to get the Forest Service feeling good about how we're managing it and then propose some changes to the trail where we can hopefully "enhance" a few places to make some more difficult obstacles. It's going to be a long term thing for sure.

As for WC trying to adopt Carnage Canyon, its a bit impractical for us. I'm probably the closest one to it and I'm in Syracuse. We have a good chunk of people in Bountiful, Salt Lake area and another chunk in Utah county so it would be a little far for us to take it on if it required fairly consistent attention. It would be better if there was a club near the Ogden area that could tackle this one. Or share some responsibility. Our club would be happy to help but we'd probably need some assitance from people closer to the trail.